Gel breakages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly bundy

Reaction score
I have a client that has hardly any free range and I have been using the elation tips and she has had two breakages in two days of application. She said its at the ends they are breaking. Do you think fuller tips are needed any advice please ?

The strength of an enhancement is not in the tip, it's in the structure of the overlay. I would look closely at your apex placement, I suspect, as you are using gel, it's self levelling and the nail is too flat, therefore has no strength.

thanks for the reply. I use nsi performance. I prep the nail. Used binder. Think layer of gel and cured and then built a apex layer. Nsi said if I did not completely buff the nail tip the gel would slide, my Other clients have not had this. Which was making me think maybe it is the tip as the natural nails are short and no free edge.

thanks for the reply. I use nsi performance. I prep the nail. Used binder. Think layer of gel and cured and then built a apex layer. Nsi said if I did not completely buff the nail tip the gel would slide, my Other clients have not had this. Which was making me think maybe it is the tip as the natural nails are short and no free edge.

If you are sure you have correctly placed the apex, then your next point of investigation is the lateral side walls, if you thin the gel too much down the sides you will compromise the structure and they will snap at the sidewalls.

If you believe these are left strong enough and clients are still experiencing breakage then you need to look at client aftercare. There is only so much you can do to ensure they are as strong and well built as possible, the care of them is out of your control.

It is definitely not the tips, all the tips are is a 'scaffold' to build the length on, the strength is not in the tip or the tip bond, its in the structure over the top (gel/L&p/whatever)

Nsi said if I did not completely buff the nail tip the gel would slide

Just to clarify this 'slippage' would only happen before curing, not after, once it's cured its rock solid and it can't slip off. You buff the tip prior to application to aid adhesion, two shiny surfaces will struggle to stick together, so you buff one to make it slightly rough so the gel has something to 'grip' on to, hence stopping it 'slipping off' before it's cured.

She is coming back on Friday so I will repair and try and build apex stronger and I tend to
Feather the side walls as that's how nsi taught us. She is a hair dresser so constantly in chemicals and water. But to be fair this happened over weekend. I do know her personally and I know that she is a hard wearing on her nails. But normally gets a week out of them. Maybe I need a bigger bead to get a better apex then. Thank u for your advice

A week when others have done her nails

Latest posts

Back