gel cracking.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurab71

Reaction score
Just bought some NSI gel as i heard it was meant to be good, but i seem to be having trouble already.
I put some overlays on myself last night to help my naturals grow. They were nice, but noticed this morning that cracks had appeared across the middle of the nail and at the cuticle but only on the odd one but as the day went on, it has hapened to most of them.
I followed the instructions and the curing time, which i am lead to believe is 90 secs.
I have just bought a 36 watt new lamp, so i know it is not the bulbs.
Has anyone got any suggestions please. I am wondering if it is applied to thin.
Laura.x.

Just bought some NSI gel as i heard it was meant to be good, but i seem to be having trouble already.
I put some overlays on myself last night to help my naturals grow. They were nice, but noticed this morning that cracks had appeared across the middle of the nail and at the cuticle but only on the odd one but as the day went on, it has hapened to most of them.
I followed the instructions and the curing time, which i am lead to believe is 90 secs.
I have just bought a 36 watt new lamp, so i know it is not the bulbs.
Has anyone got any suggestions please. I am wondering if it is applied to thin.
Laura.x.

you need to build the apex more. this is almost certainly the problem.

Same thing happened to me with NSI so i rang and spoke to training dept hoping it was the product lol but guess what yes it was my apex !!!

Same thing happened to me, and, you need to build up the apex more. xx

Thanks ladies. I have redone them and put more at the apex & put it on a little thicker. I will see how i get on with these.
Laura.x.

have you got the nsi beyonds basics or the balance gels dvd?

sometimes seeing things done can help you understand it a bit more

i got a free copy last month and it is great

Last edited:
I have found that with gels they crack if applied too thin, except for Akzentz Gel. No matter how thin (or thick) they seem to hold up with no cracking.

Last edited:
What lamp do you use with Akzentz gel? I tried applying them again, this time thicker but the same thing happened. I was wondering if it was maybe the bonder. I am puzzled.:confused:
Laura.x.

I use a 36 watt lamp.
I currently use the Akzentz one on my table and a generic lamp in my travel bag for when I do home services.

What lamp do you use with Akzentz gel? I tried applying them again, this time thicker but the same thing happened. I was wondering if it was maybe the bonder. I am puzzled.:confused:
Laura.x.

Hiya...talk us through step by step how you are doing your nails.....starting with prep.

Ok, here is my routine. I also got a dvd and have been following that, so i dont know why this is happeneing. I thought NSI was meant to be really special.
I prep the nail as usual, then wipe clean & then dust off for extra cleanliness. Takes me about 45 min -1 hr to do a full, clean prep.I am very precise. Maybe too much eh.
Then i apply the bonder.I leave that to dry for a few minutes. It doesnt go white, which i thought it did. Maybe i should switch too primer.
Then i apply a thin layer from the cuticle to the tip edge and seal at the edge. I know i had to cure it for 90 secs but i cured it for a little longer, just to be sure. I didn`t wipe at this stage.
I then applied the second layer ontop & build my apex. I then cure that for about 2 mins. Do you think i have cured it too long?
Then i wipe clean & file into shape before I apply a different topcoat instead of the finishing gloss as i dont think the finishing gloss is that glossy really.
Then i apply cuticle oil.
I am wondering if either i am curing too long or maybe the topcoat doesn`t agree. The nails have been cracking like mad, across the middle and from the cuticle to the tip and up the edges. Also, i have noticed that i have been getting that burning sensation, heat spike or something, when the nails are curing. I have never had this happened before and it is very uncomfortable. When the nails crack and i touch them with my lips, it feels like glass.
So does anyone have any ideas to what maybe causing this. I have spent a fortune on different gels trying to find one that works for me. If it isnt the gel, then its the lights.I dont really want to spend anymore money on another gel or light that i dont get on with and am thinking off maybe giving up on gel and just doing acrylic, but if i do this, i may forget the application for the future.
I just bought brisa gel but didnt know i needed a brisa lamp. Well...i had only just bought a new lamp a few weeks before.
So...all help truly welcome please. I cant try again on my own nails as the are staring to lift again like before.
Laura.x.:eek:

what does your prep consist off....?

Are the tips sized right....?

Have you tried another layer of gel...?

Your curing times should be whatever your chosen system requires.

The heat spike you are feeling could be cos you have had to re-do your nails alot due to this cracking they are now a little sensitive....try doing lots of thin layers instead of the 1 thick/builder layer, and flash cure...(in lamp for 5 secs...out lamp...in...out a few times, as soon as its comfortable then do your full cure time.

Why are you having such problems knowing the timings of your product.
I have been trying out nsi as i have been looking for a hard gel to use.Everything i have bought, from nsi i might add, not ebay or anywhere else has come with instructions and curing times.

Thats what i would like to know. Well my nails have lifted all over agin, so i can not practice. I will just have to apply thinner layers as suggested.
Thanks again,
Laura.x.

HI Laura,

I have just done a conversion course with my college tutor using the nsi balance gel, to me it sounds as if you are curing the gel for too long, she only ever said cure for 90 secs so maybe its worth curing for less time? worth a try??

Carly

I think i will have to stick to the time they say. i have a guess it maybe that, & that i am not applying the layers thick enough.
Thanks for the help,
Laura.x.

I have a problem with the gel cracking off from the tip?

did i read right that the nails are cracking from cuticle to free edge? odd i have never seen this !

I dont have experience of nsi gels but can speak highly for brisa and azkentz.

To me this sounds like your application.

Cracking will definately occur if you apply the gel too thin.

How long are your nails (am i right in thinking you said your natural nails?)

Heat spike is...gel applied to thick..wrong lamp for the gel...thin nail plates....etc

Amb x

Ok, here is my routine. I also got a dvd and have been following that, so i dont know why this is happeneing. I thought NSI was meant to be really special.
I prep the nail as usual, then wipe clean & then dust off for extra cleanliness. Takes me about 45 min -1 hr to do a full, clean prep.it shouldnt be taking this long - what is involved in your prep?I am very precise. Maybe too much eh.
Then i apply the bonder.I leave that to dry for a few minutes. It doesnt go white, which i thought it did. Maybe i should switch too primer.
Then i apply a thin layer from the cuticle to the tip edge and seal at the edge. I know i had to cure it for 90 secs but i cured it for a little longer, just to be sure. I didn`t wipe at this stage.
I then applied the second layer ontop & build my apex. I then cure that for about 2 mins. Do you think i have cured it too long?
Then i wipe clean & file into shape before I apply a different topcoat instead of the finishing gloss as i dont think the finishing gloss is that glossy really.
Then i apply cuticle oil.
I am wondering if either i am curing too long or maybe the topcoat doesn`t agree.what brand of top coat are you using? The nails have been cracking like mad, across the middle and from the cuticle to the tip and up the edges. Also, i have noticed that i have been getting that burning sensation, heat spike or something, when the nails are curing. I have never had this happened before and it is very uncomfortable. When the nails crack and i touch them with my lips, it feels like glass.
So does anyone have any ideas to what maybe causing this. I have spent a fortune on different gels trying to find one that works for me. If it isnt the gel, then its the lights.I dont really want to spend anymore money on another gel or light that i dont get on with and am thinking off maybe giving up on gel and just doing acrylic, but if i do this, i may forget the application for the future.
I just bought brisa gel but didnt know i needed a brisa lamp. Well...i had only just bought a new lamp a few weeks before.
So...all help truly welcome please. I cant try again on my own nails as the are staring to lift again like before.
Laura.x.:eek:

have you tried ringing anyone at nsi to talk this through? im sure they'd be more than helpful !

amb x

hi ya laura
i trained using the nsi balance gels. i notice that you said in your detailed description that you was hoping the nails would go white after using the nail bond, they don't. they go white after applying the nail pure, did you use this to dehydrate your nails? before applying the nail bond, leaving both on for 1 min.
i just thought this may be adding to your problem if not being the problem on the basis that you may not be sanatising and dehydrating your nail.
hope this helps
anna:hug:
also, for your finish, i don'y particularly like the finish clear, i use nsi glaze and go, really easy to apply and no need to cleanse once cured. gr8 finish and shine too.

Latest posts

Back