Gel Enhancements and Pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzle-Nails

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just looking to tap into some of your wonderful knowledge. Have had a wee search but can't really find an answer to my question.

I'm newly qualified and have also just found out I am pregnant :-D I appear to be having a nightmare with my own nails however. I am currently wearing gel enhancements (advertising and all that!) but they are continuously lifting, like totally coming off in one piece with no damage to my own nail! I'm not having this issue with anyone else so don't think it is something I am doing. Have replaced full set and the same thing is happening again! Does anyone know if this could be something to do with my pregnancy and have you any ideas how I can 'fix it'?!

Thanks
Linz Xox

Hi guys

Just looking to tap into some of your wonderful knowledge. Have had a wee search but can't really find an answer to my question.

I'm newly qualified and have also just found out I am pregnant :-D I appear to be having a nightmare with my own nails however. I am currently wearing gel enhancements (advertising and all that!) but they are continuously lifting, like totally coming off in one piece with no damage to my own nail! I'm not having this issue with anyone else so don't think it is something I am doing. Have replaced full set and the same thing is happening again! Does anyone know if this could be something to do with my pregnancy and have you any ideas how I can 'fix it'?!

Thanks
Linz Xox

Some say yes, and some say no. and some say maybe. If something is very different and abnormal to you, and your nails are suddenly lifting and actin crazy, then I would say yes. Don't try to fix it, which would be harsh on your nails. Take a break for a few months and then try again.

Are you doing allot more recently with your hands ... decorating or having your hands in cleaning fluids etc? These things often coincide with pregnancy don't they? Some would say that this increased activity would be the cause. Only you know that.

Congratulations!! :hug:

Well first off congratulations :)
And it could very well have something to do with it. Nails are often affected with pregnancy. When i was pregnant my nails grew insainly quickly, which would of affected my nail enhancement if i had worn them.. i couldnt stand the smell of any acetone or polish let alone all the dust of it lol. I would play it by ear :)

When I was pregnant, my enhancement constantly lifted. It was a nightmare.

Thanks ladies. Have taken your advice Geeg and have taken them off. Was worried I would eventually cause damage to my own nail.

My friend (who is qualified) did offer to try acrylics but two nails down and the smell was making me so ill!!

Going to look at it as an opportunity to get my own nails in tip top condition!

Thanks ladies. Have taken your advice Geeg and have taken them off. Was worried I would eventually cause damage to my own nail.

My friend (who is qualified) did offer to try acrylics but two nails down and the smell was making me so ill!!

Going to look at it as an opportunity to get my own nails in tip top condition!

Get some Shellac on those nails of yours and they will look gorgeous in no time and grow like crazy.

Hi guys

Thanks
Linz Xox

I am also 34 weeks pregnant and training in gel. I am practising on my own nails natural gel overlays and they too are peeling off within a day in one piece. They leave a sticky bit of the gel in the centre of the nail which I can then wipe off with cotton wool. If in worst case it was not because I am pregnant but bad technique or bad prep would the gel normally peel in the same way (as one whole piece)?
Just trying to get my head around what normal lifting would look like.
Thanks in advance x

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and have been having the same lifting problems with both gel and acrylic. Which is not a good advertisement for my enhancements but problem has only arisen with me since becoming pregnant.

I have just been taking the advantage of my natural nails growing long and strong and using polish pro with nail art, glitter, etc to promote my natural nail services which has brought in new business :)

Congratulations :)

Pregnancy effects every woman differently, and some women have a very high level of oestrogen in their system when pregnant, which can lead to higher levels of moisture.
So I would recommend a prep booster..... OR like Geeg mentioned Shellac, as nice neat nails are easier to maintain with a little one.

:)

I am also 34 weeks pregnant and training in gel. I am practising on my own nails natural gel overlays and they too are peeling off within a day in one piece. They leave a sticky bit of the gel in the centre of the nail which I can then wipe off with cotton wool. If in worst case it was not because I am pregnant but bad technique or bad prep would the gel normally peel in the same way (as one whole piece)?
Just trying to get my head around what normal lifting would look like.
Thanks in advance x

This sounds like a curing issue, not a pregnancy issue. Gel that you can wipe off has not cured. Check your lamp ... Both that it is working, that the bulbs are not old, and that it is the correct lamp to use with your brand of gel.

I am having the same problem i have been going to the same lady for the past year and my l & p is just coming off 2 days later im 14 weeks pregnant, i was going to try someone else as i have noticed recently she is mixing systems and i went to her due to the fact she was a cnd tech at the start, now she is mixing cnd with asp or nail harmony with nsi etc, i am a trained nail tech even though i dont offer enhancements anymore and this is one thing that really annoys me, i personally think you should use the complete system its designed to work together and my reasons for asking for cnd is that i know it works for me, anything else lifted before, so now i am in 2 minds as to try another tech or just lay off the enhancements for a few months while my hormones settle down, i would just shellac my own nails but as i have been decorating they are disgusting and broken so will have to give them a pamper and let them grow a little

Same happened to me when I was pregnant!! I had bio on my nails & it was lifting with no damage after a few days, all fine now though x

This sounds like a curing issue, not a pregnancy issue. Gel that you can wipe off has not cured. Check your lamp ... Both that it is working, that the bulbs are not old, and that it is the correct lamp to use with your brand of gel.

Thanks Geeg - The lamp came with the starter set with my training so I know it's the right type but saying that one of the lights keeps flickering, I thought it may just because loose connection and because it was my own nails I was doing didn't worry too much, I'll change the bulb and let you know how I get on. X

Thanks Geeg - The lamp came with the starter set with my training so I know it's the right type but saying that one of the lights keeps flickering, I thought it may just because loose connection and because it was my own nails I was doing didn't worry too much, I'll change the bulb and let you know how I get on. X

Make sure the bulb is all the way into the housing. If it is no better, return the lamp for a new one. We do not want you having faulty equipment. Shellac deserves the best. x

Latest posts

Back