Gel extensions-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Sunshine85

Reaction score
Hi All

Please help I did someone's Gel extensions last Tuesday ... She texted me Friday to say the thumb had snapped off so I repaired for free on Saturday, she text me yesterday o say now 3 of the fingers have snapped !!!

I have gellux hard gel builder and the proceeds I do is below

File the ️Nails done and buff off the shine

Sanitise the nail plate to remove dust

Add the nail tip and blend and shape

Add IBD power bond to the natural nail

Thin layer of gel and cute 2 mins

A thicker layer to build the gel and cure

File and buff to get the right shape

Then the last layer of gel to seal and cure

I then buff off the shine and Polish the nail

Am I going wrong?

Hi. I don't usually post but I do use gellux system. The first thing I notice us you don't mention cuticle work? I will read through properly tomorrow but cuticle work is the curse thing I noticed that you didn't mention x

yes, cuticle work is vital! Also, you dont mention anything about using a cleanse/scrub fresh etc to remove any oil/products off the nails. also, what do you use to dehydrate the nails? and you dont mention any primer?
I dont do gels, just acrylics and Gelish but id imagine theyre all similar.

Hi all sorry yes I do the cuticle work and push them back and once I have bugged the ️Nails I do use scrub fresh on the ️Nails to remove the dust too.

I use the power bond primer for gels which I was told works the same as a primer ???

Not sure about power bond but Some primers need to be cured first. Also use very sparingly, chemical lifting is possible if too much product is used!

Think logically people, we learn the science behind our products so that we understand technically how they work and are able to identify problems if they occur, we can tell that it's not an issue with cuticle work, primers or anything prep related because the poster hasn't commented on any issues with lifting, as far as we know the bond with the natural nail is fine.. The problem is snapping which is purely down to structure x

This is the pic she sent me of the nail snapping.. So if this helps anyone diagnose where I went wrong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 71
Hiya,

I would definitely say this is down to the product not being thick enough on the stress point.
I used to have this issue - now after I have added the thin gel layer as a base I add a thicker blob (for want of a better word!) across the join of the tip and either blend upwards towards the cuticle or down to the free edge.
I then apply another layer of gel all over the nail making sure to get some thickness near the cuticle and then another layer just to make sure it's all smooth.

Just having the extra layer just over the tip join has helped me achieve the apex and thickness loads :)

Ok I wil try that... The customer is moaning and iv asked her to come back and il repair for free but she won't! Guess I will just have to retry on the next client

Latest posts

Back