Gel extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The nail shack

Reaction score
Hi? I'm Newley qualified as a nail technician and completed a distance learning course therefore didn't receive the face to face training as i would if I'd have attended a college. I have learnt both acrylic and gel extensions in addition to the obvious basics of anatomy etc. At first I offered the acrylic nail extensions mainly because this is the technique I've always had done myself as well as having a very silly view of "oh yeah I've had this is so easy, I can do this" well I was in for a shock.... Anyway cutting a long story short I have trained in gel extensions and find this 100% better than acrylics;
1. Looks more natural
2. Easier to apply (due to the self levelling)
3. Less filing
4. Minimal fumes
5. Just all round a better product

So my questions are;
1. Why do salons not offer this instead of acrylics??
2. Why do salons charge more for gels than acrylics (as I can't see the difference in outlay/cost)?
3. I'm currently using the edge products.... Only ones I've ever used so cannot compare on products..... What do you recommend?
4. What is your application routine?
5. When wanting glitter, nail art etc I've been using general polish over the nail extension, is this acceptable??
6. Do they last as long as acrylics? If not why??
(Had a few clients complaining of breaks.... What am I doing wrong??

I know there is a lot of information on here and even more questions..... But I'd appreciate soooooo much any questions answered... Thank you in advance xxx

Hiya
I thought I'd answer some of your questions in my opinion ...
1) if they're done well, they really shouldn't look different - nobody can tell if nails I do are gel or acrylic
2) once experienced, acrylic is no more difficult
3) again, if you can get your skills to the point where you can apply the acrylic in the shape you want, using your brush, there will be minimum filing
4) you may not be able to smell the fumes with gel but they are still there and you should still work in a ventilated area
5) to make this statement I would say you haven't quite got to grips with acrylic and found what a strong, beautiful, versatile product it is :)

1. I offer both, for choice and also if one doesn't suit the client for some reason, it's good to be able to change and use the other
2) I can't either, I charge the same. Both are high end products
3) I use ezflow acrylic and CND brisa gel but nsi and CND are also excellent products, I'm sure others will recommend their favourites. I've not used the edge but from what I've read, I understand it to be more of a beginner/college product
4) as per your training.
5) probably, if you are not using gel polish then a top coat over nail art is usual
6)depends on the brand. Some gels are not as strong. But a lot depends on the skill of the tech in building a strong shape that lasts

Hazarding a guess from what you've said (ie easy to apply/self levelling) it sounds as if you may not be getting much structure and shape into the nails, maybe producing a very flat nail? Particularly if they wear them quite long. What you've described sounds like more of an overlay possibly. This was also my mistake when I first learnt gels (distance learning), it was 12 years ago and I've had further training since, I do think it's difficult without somebody to show you.

Xxx

I use CND & gel is more expensive than l&p & more time consuming. I charge more for gel!

Hiya
I thought I'd answer some of your questions in my opinion ...
1) if they're done well, they really shouldn't look different - nobody can tell if nails I do are gel or acrylic
2) once experienced, acrylic is no more difficult
3) again, if you can get your skills to the point where you can apply the acrylic in the shape you want, using your brush, there will be minimum filing
4) you may not be able to smell the fumes with gel but they are still there and you should still work in a ventilated area
5) to make this statement I would say you haven't quite got to grips with acrylic and found what a strong, beautiful, versatile product it is :)

1. I offer both, for choice and also if one doesn't suit the client for some reason, it's good to be able to change and use the other
2) I can't either, I charge the same. Both are high end products
3) I use ezflow acrylic and CND brisa gel but nsi and CND are also excellent products, I'm sure others will recommend their favourites. I've not used the edge but from what I've read, I understand it to be more of a beginner/college product
4) as per your training.
5) probably, if you are not using gel polish then a top coat over nail art is usual
6)depends on the brand. Some gels are not as strong. But a lot depends on the skill of the tech in building a strong shape that lasts

Hazarding a guess from what you've said (ie easy to apply/self levelling) it sounds as if you may not be getting much structure and shape into the nails, maybe producing a very flat nail? Particularly if they wear them quite long. What you've described sounds like more of an overlay possibly. This was also my mistake when I first learnt gels (distance learning), it was 12 years ago and I've had further training since, I do think it's difficult without somebody to show you.

Xxx

Thank you that is a fantastic response. I think because I'm training via distance learning it's very difficult like you say to learn visually. I will look at additional training as I really do want to perfect both techniques. I currently use NSI attraction l&p and the edge gel, however have previously tried naio and the edge l&p although have found NSI a lot better to work with. Can anyone suggest a good course to attend? For gel & acrylic? Thank you xx

Hi id recommend doing a course with the brand you want to use. Xx

Latest posts

Back