Gel French manicure help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For that length, I believe you need a thinner french line
Otherwise it looks fine
Congrats!

Hi, I've been trying to post pics but everything comes up as file too big . I think I've uploaded the description of the course I took. We were informed at it that their products are 'pure gel' and not gel polish. The majority of my colours are from this company. The main reason I don't want to pursue a higher course atm is because I felt the training I received with that company , I personally could have learnt from a video, though I realise I. Do need to actual get qualified, also I didn't want to be spending more money when I'm not confident enough yet to even charge people just for painting their nails.
I was just asked to do this for a friend and want to do the best I can, and I appreciate the help. It's likely I will just end up not doing them. But thank you
This description is rubbish! It's supposed to be teaching you hard gels, but those DON'T soak off. That's for gel polish or soft gels. Hard and soft gels come in pots, but gel polish comes in bottles. And then you can go to a 2nd hard gel course for extensions?
They basically have split hard gels into 2 different courses and added bits and pieces from other gels. Hard gel application and sculpting are supposed to be taught together.
As to their lamp advise, there are a few led lamps that have broken but you can just send them directly back to the manufacturer. With uv lamps you can change the bulb but that's not always the case and I wouldn't say they are more hard wearing than led. If anything, you certainly work faster with led.
To give you my honest opinion, I do not believe they are authorised teachers. I believe they are amateurs that decided to run seminars alongside their salon. And they say any stupid thing that they can think of. If they had problems with a led lamp suddenly all led lamps are rubbish. If they couldn't blend a tip properly, they invent tricks to avoid it...
Best stay off that company. They've caused you enough problems as it is!

Not to mention that since the sculpting course was cancelled from their end, you are entitled to get your deposit back! Deposits are meant in order to make sure that the professional won't lose invested time or money in case a client has a change of heart at the last minute. You would lose it if it was you who cancelled it. It doesn't cover them if they decided to cancel regardless of the reason. Go back and ask for your money and if they refuse it, go to a solicitor or call the police.

Last edited:
For that length, I believe you need a thinner french line
Otherwise it looks fine
Congrats!
Thinner? Not used to painting the white on, I'm used to just applying white tips on myself if I want a plain look x

If you have not had training for hard gel you need to put them away until you've been trained and please, please don't use them on paying clients. You will not be insured, and if you damage your clients nails, or end up causing a reaction or allergy you can be sued. It happens more and more in this country and being sued, without insurance, will cost you an awful lot more than the cost of another course. Be patient. Save your money. Do things properly. Save yourself from a potential nightmare.

100%

This description is rubbish! It's supposed to be teaching you hard gels, but those DON'T soak off. That's for gel polish or soft gels. Hard and soft gels come in pots, but gel polish comes in bottles. And then you can go to a 2nd hard gel course for extensions?
They basically have split hard gels into 2 different courses and added bits and pieces from other gels. Hard gel application and sculpting are supposed to be taught together.
As to their lamp advise, there are a few led lamps that have broken but you can just send them directly back to the manufacturer. With uv lamps you can change the bulb but that's not always the case and I wouldn't say they are more hard wearing than led. If anything, you certainly work faster with led.
To give you my honest opinion, I do not believe they are authorised teachers. I believe they are amateurs that decided to run seminars alongside their salon. And they say any stupid thing that they can think of. If they had problems with a led lamp suddenly all led lamps are rubbish. If they couldn't blend a tip properly, they invent tricks to avoid it...
Best stay off that company. They've caused you enough problems as it is!

Not to mention that since the sculpting course was cancelled from their end, you are entitled to get your deposit back! Deposits are meant in order to make sure that the professional won't lose invested time or money in case a client has a change of heart at the last minute. You would lose it if it was you who cancelled it. It doesn't cover them if they decided to cancel regardless of the reason. Go back and ask for your money and if they refuse it, go to a solicitor or call the police.
I do think it was an awful course tbh. I've learnt more from videos than I did at the course itself. The woman was so up herself and very unhelpful when asked questions.
She was constantly shagging off other companies and with the led lights she was complaining that they've had them from 4 companies and sued each one....
2 weeks before my level 2 I emailed to request a change from my original date to one a month later due to child minding problems. I had such a rude email back saying that I couldn't change because there was only one other girl attending and they had paid for the room and sent equipment over that they couldn't be refunded for. I showed up on the day of the course to find noone there. I called the company, got the girl who had taken the level one and have never been spoken to so rudely in my life! She tried to say that I had emailed cancelling my place, therefore they had to cancel the whole thing and lost all their money and it was my fault! I got so angry I just hung up. Unfortunately I kept putting off contacting them to get my deposit back so I think it is far too late now. I was meant to attend in july

Managed to finally get the white to stay in place. It did bleed in some spots when applying the hard clear bit I did my best to tidy it uo

Great job. I agree with asteropi, for shorter nails I would use a thinner white line so it doesn't go to high up the nail.

I do think it was an awful course tbh. I've learnt more from videos than I did at the course itself. The woman was so up herself and very unhelpful when asked questions.
She was constantly shagging off other companies and with the led lights she was complaining that they've had them from 4 companies and sued each one....
2 weeks before my level 2 I emailed to request a change from my original date to one a month later due to child minding problems. I had such a rude email back saying that I couldn't change because there was only one other girl attending and they had paid for the room and sent equipment over that they couldn't be refunded for. I showed up on the day of the course to find noone there. I called the company, got the girl who had taken the level one and have never been spoken to so rudely in my life! She tried to say that I had emailed cancelling my place, therefore they had to cancel the whole thing and lost all their money and it was my fault! I got so angry I just hung up. Unfortunately I kept putting off contacting them to get my deposit back so I think it is far too late now. I was meant to attend in july

It is very unprofessional for any company or professional to run other companies down. By doing so they make themselves look bad. If you still have your emails I would forward it to them stating that you only requested to move the date and as they stated you had to attend, you did. Remind them you did not cancel they did. You are then within your rights to get your deposit back or to be offered another course.

Speak to trading standards, they will advice you to speak with the company and inform them that you have contacted trading standards and you will be given a reference number. Usually that is enough for the company to do the right thing. If not go back to trading standards they will then get involved by contacting them. I hope you get this sorted out, best of luck. x

I know you say you can't afford it (I've been there)
but if you ever want to offer nails as a business you'd definitely need more training. I'd say from a reputable company as clearly they don't have a clue.

I'd also recommend taking it further to get your money back for your course and your deposit as that's a joke that THEY cancelled not you and they've said you can't have a refund xx

Don't worry I'm not charging clients lol. Only practicing on myself and close friends x

Although it doesn't seem like it, your getting the best advice here. You seem to have the passion for nails which is where we all would have began! And there are courses where you can pay a deposit and save up for the remaining fees x

Great job. I agree with asteropi, for shorter nails I would use a thinner white line so it doesn't go to high up the nail.
Oh you mean higher up? I just thought you had to start it from the natural smile line x

It is very unprofessional for any company or professional to run other companies down. By doing so they make themselves look bad. If you still have your emails I would forward it to them stating that you only requested to move the date and as they stated you had to attend, you did. Remind them you did not cancel they did. You are then within your rights to get your deposit back or to be offered another course.

Speak to trading standards, they will advice you to speak with the company and inform them that you have contacted trading standards and you will be given a reference number. Usually that is enough for the company to do the right thing. If not go back to trading standards they will then get involved by contacting them. I hope you get this sorted out, best of luck. x
I though maybe if left it too late as it's now two months since the course took place x

I though maybe if left it too late as it's now two months since the course took place x

Give them a call, if they say they are not refunding, explain that you are taking it to trading standards. All it will cost is a few phone calls and hopefully your money back. Explain to TS that you weren't aware of your rights, they are there to help people like you. x

I'm not sure if it's the same in N.Ireland, but have a look at the 24+ loans, there are lots of nail and beauty courses they will fund until you are earning over £21,000.

I'm not sure if it's the same in N.Ireland, but have a look at the 24+ loans, there are lots of nail and beauty courses they will fund until you are earning over £21,000.
I didn't think they fund beauty courses but I will look into that thank you x

I didn't think they fund beauty courses but I will look into that thank you x
I'm currently doing my NVQ level 3 in nail services and I have had my course funded, I'm quite confident in my skills but I struggle sometimes meeting new people as I'm quite anxious and it's been great for my confidence.

I'm currently doing my NVQ level 3 in nail services and I have had my course funded, I'm quite confident in my skills but I struggle sometimes meeting new people as I'm quite anxious and it's been great for my confidence.
Yeah I have terrible anxiety too. It's one of the things holding me back from advertising for work

Yeah I have terrible anxiety too. It's one of the things holding me back from advertising for work
Well I just came back from putting on a bunch of posters at the campus nearby. I thought I should add to my tiny clientele now with a few students. Don't overthink it. Worst case scenario, you will only see them once ;)

Well I just came back from putting on a bunch of posters at the campus nearby. I thought I should add to my tiny clientele now with a few students. Don't overthink it. Worst case scenario, you will only see them once ;)
True

Latest posts

Back