Gel giving off a burning sensation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellie85

Reaction score
Im quite new to all this even tho i trained over 3 years ago.

ive recently started up again and updated my kit...me, my mum and one of my customers had a burning feeling that went after a couple of secs....

i didnt file too much or anything like that as mine was an overlay over silks so wasnt touching my nail bed....

little confused and worried im doing something wrong:confused:

Its called Heat spike hun, which is common with some generic gels.
If you do a search on here you should find more info.
HTH
Jen xx

Sit the nails just outside of the lamp, but still in the glow, for a few seconds first before you put them right under. If they burn take them straight out and repeat x

Hi there, I believe that there are a couple of factors which may cause the heat spike you are experiancing. Firstly, are you using the correct lamp, the one that is recommended for the system you are using? Another common factor for the heat spike is that you are using too much product, and finally over thinned nail plates can also cause this problem so these are a couple of things to check first.
Personally I use Brisa Gel, and because it has lower photo initiators in it, you do not tend to get heat spikes from this product.

Hth Caroline:)

Last edited:
Welcome back!:hug: Can I ask which gel you're using? And which lamp?

i used star nails and salon systems as my local Sallys wholesaler doesnt do too many different ones.
as for lamp its again a lamp from sallys wholesalers

If its the small 9 watt lamp that Im thinking of and your using star nail you need to switch lamps. The proper lamp they use is a 36 watt and is on sale right now for $48 at starnail.com

Products that have an uncomfortable heat spike should not be used IMO. I think it is:

1. Unhealthy for the client
2. Uncomfortable for the client
3. Not necessary for anyone to ever have to go through or experience pain if you use the right techniques or use a better quality product like Brisa gels.

Having your nails done should not be a painful process ... I would be embarrassed to have to warn clients about pain and introducing them to the lamp slowly (where they still experience the pain anyway) and explaining that it will hurt and to bang or press their fingers on the table etc. Might as well give them something to bite on to supress the agony!! :lol:
I've had new clients come in to the salon who approach the UV lamp with their hand like they are terrified it is going to EAT them!

I"ve been using a gel for so long that is not painful that their reaction always surprises me. I forget that pain is a normal thing for most gel clients to 'put up with'; when it shouldn't be.

Last edited:
I use Star nails gel in a 14 watt UV lamp and have never had anyone complain about a heat spike.
I have also had my own nails treated with gel in a 14 watt lamp and I have not experienced any sort o heat on my nails.

I use Star nails gel in a 14 watt UV lamp and have never had anyone complain about a heat spike.
I have also had my own nails treated with gel in a 14 watt lamp and I have not experienced any sort o heat on my nails.

That's probably because the gel has nor cured properly in a 14watt UV Lamp. I've never heard of a professional quality uv lamp with only 14 watts.

None of my clients have ever had a problem with their nails when cured in the lamp. Also it was bought from a professional supplier.

Latest posts

Back