Gel grrrrrrr!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavric01

Reaction score
I just wanted somewhere to moan and thought here wud be good as u all seem like good listeners!

I feel like givin up with gel, they are just not strong enough - especially when usin the gel with nail tips. Overlays on the other hand! well they are brilliant but tips its just pointless me doing them, I am gonna get myself booked on a acrylic conversion course asap. I had 2 new clients this morning and i just know the nails wont last so I fear they wont be coming back to me, which is such a shame as they could potentially bring me alot of custom through their circle of friends, I feel bad that I have taken their money and I just think their nails will break off easily. I only think this as they both had long nail tip extensions with the french manicure look (in my experaince I find colour lasts longer for some reason!) I done everything as I should have. Gel just doesnt have a long life span where as acrylic goes on and on and on and on and on!!!

Hi what Gel do you use I use IBD and have had no problem maybe you need to build your apex stronger.:)

I use calgel, I have been really building up the apex. It just seems that if a client knocks their nails it weakens it so much that if it gets knocked again it breaks and falls off.

You need to learn to sculpt then they are just fine.I was very fearful of sculpting and it was all a bit hit and miss.Ive got used to it now though and it doesn't take long for people to get to nno.Why not do one of their sculpting training days.
I do offer hard gel as well for those that like long talons or those that dont look after there nails as well as the Calgel ladies.

I use CND Brisa gel and they are fine over tips or sculpting. The only time I have broken a nail in 2 years is when I shut them in the kitchen drawer (they were very long):)

i use bio-sculpture which i believe is exactly the same as calgel, it doesnt work with tips! i advise my clients of this and if they still choose to have tips its up to them! i keep meaning to do a sculpting course, these last much better!

It may be the 'gel', it may be the client.

I use EZ Flow gel. I have clients tell me that 'my' nails last much longer and look nicer than the MMA garbage that they used to have.
Most of my clients return to me for their refill/rebalance 2-4 wks later, with zero lift or breaks.

Then you have the odd client that no matter what you put on them, they whack the life out of them..... They break mma, they break gel....
And they blame it on the product/tech:rolleyes: but fact is, they are too rough on their hands.

As for nails that have suffered repeated damage, and the enhancement doesn't stick: I've seen this.
The only thing that sticks to badly damaged nails is MMA.

The underbelly of the nail plate is more hydrated and the individual cells are more pliable and will tear easy. So if the upper layers of the nail plate, that contains flatter/harder/stronger and dehydrated cells, has been ripped away leaving the underbelly exposed, some quality products won't stick well for a short while and the nail needs to be babied until the damage grows out.

Don't immediatley blame the product.

Having said all of that..... try to sort out if the apex is sufficient, or misplaced, AND be sure it's not client's carelessness that's causing all these issues.
Often when we are starting out, we blame our products when the trouble is ourselves and/or our clients (I'm NOT saying this is your case... but possible...)

hth's

Calgel is a soft soak off gel like very much like the gel I use, I to tipped lots of clients when I had finished my training with them, you trust them when they say it is strong enough over tips.
I lost lots of new clients and god knows how many potential new clients after they had told thier friends and family how rubbish my products are.
Now when I use new products I alway try it on myself before clients, saves a lot of tears down the road.
I'm now going to look for a buff off gel to use over tips
Dont give up hun :hug:try and limit the damage to your reputation by giving the clients affected by this a discount voucher to try a new gel or acrylic which you know is strong enough.
J x

I use calgel, I have been really building up the apex. It just seems that if a client knocks their nails it weakens it so much that if it gets knocked again it breaks and falls off.

I gotta admit Im finding this too... I do Gel, Fibreglass, Acrygel and -at a push- Acrylic (L&P was never my fave..) BUT I am fast becoming a big fan of L & P & sculpting too. It saves times blending tips and altho all systems are meant to be same strength I dont think anything compares to Creative Retention in my eyes. Just my opinion, but yes, it could be a number of factors. Saying that though I love the look of gel. Very natural xx

Thing is with calgel and bio sculpture there are going to be the ladies that only want that for whatever reason and you will not persuade them to have anything else.Their popularity cannot be denied and it is also one of the easiest and quickest systems to learn and apply.

As i have said learn to sculpt with it and there is no problem, to be fair tips will last a while if apex is built up,they are not too long and the client follows all aftercare advice.I think the problem with tips is the flexible nature of the gel puts pressure over time on the adhesive and it causes the tip to come away.
You cannot put the gel on over tips in the same way as you do on the natural nail.You have to really build your apex and as calgel is quite runny you have to work quick and freeze it in place also holding the hand upside down for a bit can gravity pull a curve in place.

The ideal is to be able to offer choice. Soft gels are not suitable for everyone and to be able to cater for all potential clients its good to offer more than one system or one way of application.If sculpting is the best thing to do for bio and calgel then thats what needs to be learnt.The help is there to get it right.

Calgel is a fantastic product but like any other product you need to take the time and practice to really get to know it and get the best out of it.

Last edited:
I was having exactly the same problem. I contacted Calgel, went through my steps which were all fine and was advised to really concentrate on building my apex.

I must say it's worked for me. I have clients lasted the last 4 weeks with no problems - whereas before most were losing nails. Also, I have done a set on myself. I did my left hand with no tips as this is my "wrong" hand and my right hand with tips. I did a single colour overlay over the top - again concentrating on the apex. This again was 4 weeks ago and I haven't had a problem at all. Now I also know that I CAN do it - sometimes it is something clients themselves are doing - for me, doing the set on myself has also built my confidence as I know I CAN do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all the replys, I actually prefer sculpting than doing tips but recently I seem to have clients with very bitten down nails so I have no other option than to tip the nails, otherwise I would sculpt as I find this a hell of a lot more stronger and longer lasting. I know that I can do the nails and this is what is frustrating me........! I did not realise that you could build up the nail's apex with colour gel as I was under the impression that the colour gel was not a sculpting gel so I assumed that if I built up the nail it would not cure properly, so I always apply a clear gel after and build the apex up then.

I use Akzentz gel (non soak off) and don't have any problems with either tips, sculpts or overlays...

Not all gels are the same and some are much stronger than others...maybe you could introduce a non soak off gel for those hard on their nails and keep your soak off gels for NNO..? x

Thanks for all the replys, I actually prefer sculpting than doing tips but recently I seem to have clients with very bitten down nails so I have no other option than to tip the nails, otherwise I would sculpt as I find this a hell of a lot more stronger and longer lasting. I know that I can do the nails and this is what is frustrating me........! I did not realise that you could build up the nail's apex with colour gel as I was under the impression that the colour gel was not a sculpting gel so I assumed that if I built up the nail it would not cure properly, so I always apply a clear gel after and build the apex up then.

It is possible to build using the colours. I didn't realise how flat my nails were until I really had a good look and have now started to build a definate "C" curve. For french, I do 2 layers of pink and white and then a clear on top. It works for me and as I said I was having EXACTLY the same problems as you. HTH

I would not beat yourself up about 'biters' losing a tip. :hug:

I love Calgel but I do offer a buff off gel too. I hardly ever use tips ( I hate them, lol, fiddly bits of plastic)

If I do use tips with calgel I always put clear gel on the nail first for adhesion and then the buffed down full well tip. That way it is gel that holds onto the nail not the glue.

Where abouts in London do you live ie post code?

I am more than willing to try a non soak off gel, what make of gel would you say I try? When i apply my tips I also put a layer of clear gel on first then buff etc and apply the tip, blend, apply gel etc. I would also be willing to try puttin on 2 coats of pink and white but my timing is not great so I will end up bein even longer puttin twice the amount on! But if it holds the nails in place its worth it! x

I am more than willing to try a non soak off gel, what make of gel would you say I try? When i apply my tips I also put a layer of clear gel on first then buff etc and apply the tip, blend, apply gel etc. I would also be willing to try puttin on 2 coats of pink and white but my timing is not great so I will end up bein even longer puttin twice the amount on! But if it holds the nails in place its worth it! x

i know that some places recommend doing this to protect the natural nail when blending tips...but to be honest its not necessary and just might be whats causing the problem.

Have you tried tipping without that first layer of gel? as Angie say's, this my be what is causing your problem

I havent tried it without the first layer of gel and the only reason i havent is because of the blending of the tip, I am worried that I will be filling too much on the natural nail causing damage, I blend my tips from near enough the free edge down to the join, so there isnt really any filing on the natural nail but I worry I might file the nail and when they come off their natural nails will be in a bad way! I would love to learn a harder gel for the clients who are more rough on their hands and leave the calgel for sculpting and overlays.

Hi!
I met Naomi Zieseniss - a representitive and a educator- from Bio Sculpture today.

I have a problem doing white tip overlay, so I asked her the best way to do this.
(I havn't got any problem with natural tip overlay using sculpting gel)

• Prep the nail, excutive base and buff.
  • Clear gel, cure, wipe and buff.
  • apply tips
  • buff to take shine off from tips. (I used CND express tips in white but still need to be buffed)
  • S-gel, cure, wipe and buff (shape if needed).
You can apply more S-gel if you need to build more apex or thickness.

I never stick tips over gel, but I try this out tomorrow.

Hope this will help.

Meg

Latest posts

Back