Gel help....anyone??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I got a call from a girl who's quit her salon...she's referring 3 of her clients to me, one of which is a gel wearer. Problem: I don't do gels. What's the easiest, most user-friendly gel? Should I refer her to a reputable gel tech in town? Any advice??

Hi ya Hun, :D
Well I would be honest with the Gel Client, tell her you don't do Gels and refere her. 8)
Have you trained with Gels???? :?:
Find out why she likes Gels so much and maybe she could be converted to a system you do, if it's suitable for her lifestyle. :idea:
Hope this helps
Love Ruth xxx

I have trained with gels...and nothing more. I never got the hang of them and no one seemed to care for them much around here. When people move to my state from really humid clients, they tend to want gels, and then they switch to an enhancement that works better in a dry, deserty climate.

So you really think certain enhancements are most suited than others to a climate??? :shock: (BTW, this is a genuine question... no flaming here, ok!!! :D ).
I could understand someone swimming/surfing/watersporting (new word!) a lot not being too lucky with tips and such, but the weather? Never thought of it! Could someone please enlighten me?? Please? :D
Thanks.

Humidity versus a dry arrid climate...it's only what I've been told. Not what I know from experience since I've lived in the desert all my life. People who move here from the coast generally do away with their gels within a year. Perhaps I could use some enlightenment also.

i'm in the same stick that your in toes! my bossy co-worker wants me to switch to gels instead of f/b and silks and i jsut don't don't know enough to feel comfortable. but at least you recieved SOME training!

It has long been one of those myths that gels work better in humid climates.

I live where it is humid and hot and all systems if the nail is prepared and applied properly and maintained regularly work equally well.

There is no chemical reason why one type of enhancement work work better than another.

Some assume that because gels are not porous or hydrophylic (which means allowing moisture to pass through) that it works better in a humid atmosphere. Not true. Water and moisture do not soak into a porous enhancement, the product allows moisture OUT, which is a good thing not a bad thing. Sort of like a one way system.

Read Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Douglas Schoon!! It is a must if you want to be well informed and bust some of those myths that seem to be passed on from one generation of nail technicians to another.

If it were me I would refer her to a gel tech. I wouldn't try to fake it. Gels take time to master, just like anything else. I use akzentz and it is an awesome gel, but available only through the internet for now. You can learn more about it at www.akzentz.com if you want.

I would swap her to the system I use and give her 1001 reasons of why this would be better for her :shock: ;)

I totally agree with Mrs Geek. I wouldn't let a client get away.

If you ask 10 gel wearers why they like the system, 10 out of 10 will say because they like the permanent shine! Well they can have that with any system these days so that argument goes out the window.

The other reason why they like gel so much is because some nail technician has told them that L&P will ruin her nails ..... no comment.

Most people go along with what they are used to and what their particular nail technician uses .... it's not like the public in general know what we are doing until we explain it to them. If Gel has worked well for them they will like it ... but any system should work well for most clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back