Gel - Lifting around cuticles?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katycoo

Reaction score
Hi There

I am new on here - and a new technician - working from home. Have been doing my mums and my own nails - along with friends when I was training. Have had a few cients, and got a few more coming up - and waiting to go into yellow pages in a couple of months - hoping things may pick up then!!

I do fibreglass and gel extensions - and was just wondering why I am getting some lifting around the cuticles on the gel extensions? Is it due to me putting product too close to the nail fold?

I am using IBD gel products - any other good products I could try?

Also how do you get a perfect smile line when painting on a white tip on top of natural tips (If their nails are too short for white tips, but they want white tips - hope that makes sense!!!!). I have the white sticker guidelines - but does white need to dry completely before putting on a top coat?

Hope some of you more experienced techs can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Katy:smack:
xx

katycoo said:
Hi There

I am new on here - and a new technician - working from home. Have been doing my mums and my own nails - along with friends when I was training. Have had a few cients, and got a few more coming up - and waiting to go into yellow pages in a couple of months - hoping things may pick up then!!

I do fibreglass and gel extensions - and was just wondering why I am getting some lifting around the cuticles on the gel extensions? Is it due to me putting product too close to the nail fold?

I am using IBD gel products - any other good products I could try?

Also how do you get a perfect smile line when painting on a white tip on top of natural tips (If their nails are too short for white tips, but they want white tips - hope that makes sense!!!!). I have the white sticker guidelines - but does white need to dry completely before putting on a top coat?

Hope some of you more experienced techs can help me!

Thanks in advance!

Katy:smack:
xx

Hiya Katy,
Make sure your prep is spot on and that you dont put any gel onto the skin around the nail this will cause lifting. Have you tried more than white ? Its a paint on white and it works with all systems, If someone has a very short free-edge I find it easier to apply white gel with a cocktail stick.
Good luck

Thanks for that - I will have to have a practise on my mum for that one!!

Thanks

Katy
x

katycoo said:

Hi,

Do you mean a French Manicure ?

If so, there is only one way to get the perfect smile line and that is by using Nail Fresh. Nail Fresh is a CND product.

I absolutely feared french manicures because my hands start to shake like an alcoholic's and can't keep them steady because of nerves.

I also tried loads of different things, including striper pens to try and get the line right. Needless to say, that didn't work !

With Nail Fresh all you do is paint your white smile line, dip an old gel or L&P brush into the Nail Fresh and tidy the smile line up by "back brushing". It works super fast and is very precise.

River

To avoid having lifting at cuticles you should really bother prepping, what i found to be a usefull advice was, when dehydrating the nail don't just spray, apply the dehydrator on a lint free wipe and really scrub the nail with it making sure you get in the side grooves aswell, really scrub it well untill you get a squeky sound out of them (almost like doing the windows), then simply avoid touching the sidewall with the gel.
About the freanch look, have you tried painting it with gel? It's not as complicated as with polish and it lasts more, all you need is a white gel (ibd has one) paint in on the free edge before applying your pink gel, remenber you can take as long as you wish perfecting it because it will only set once placed under the uv light. I usually paint the white across the nail not carring much for how perfect the line is, the with a clean square brush i wipe across the nail making the smile line i want. Hope it makes sense. I advise you to alternate the hands (1 nail on the right hand, cure, 1 nail on the left hand, cure and so on) this will prevent the gel from moving, and this way you can do the next nail while the previous is under the uv light.

Thanks all - that is wicked - I will try all of this when I get home!

This site looks like it could be invaluable to novice techs like me!

Appreciate your quick replies!

Thanks
Katy

katycoo said:
Thanks all - that is wicked - I will try all of this when I get home!

This site looks like it could be invaluable to novice techs like me!

Appreciate your quick replies!

Thanks
Katy

No worries Katy.

Why don't you complete your profile so that we can learn a bit more about you :hug:

River

Latest posts

Back