Gel lifting at free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
I have this mysterious prob with white tips.....
About 10 months ago when I was using French tips the gel would lift off the whole of the tip area ( not lifting at all on the area on the natural nail)allowing moisture to get underneath, it would happen to all clients all of the time. It suddenly started when I moved into a hairdresser's salon and after all sorts of attempts to sort it, the only thing I could think of that I was doing differently was using OPI nail wipes. When I stopped using them it suddenly stopped and so problem solved .... until now ...... uncannily one of my clients remarked that it was great that the problem hadn't happened for ages. Well talk about putting a curse on it as lo! I got a call to say it's started again. It never happens on natural tips, only French. Actually it doesn't seem to be as bad this time around, it looks more like it's just lifting at the end of the tip and then dirt is getting under this ( not the whole of the tip lifting). I use gel, so could I unwittingly not be taking the gel thick enough at the edge so when the gel cures it is shrinking back a little and causing the lifting. Another thought is that when I buff the tip I use a 100 grit, could this be too sharp as sometimes I can see little bits sticking up creating minute shards. PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP AS IT IS SO DEPRESSING AND NOW ONCE AGAIN I DREAD WHEN PEOPLE ASK FOR FRENCH TIPS.

Hiya,

What gel are you using and are you making sure you gently buff the tip and really stretch the gel over the free edge, try capping it!

Amanda

I use LCN self levelling. I apply one thin layer as a bonding layer and then a thicker layer to build up the c-curve and then finish with a sealant layer. I just don't understand why it has suddenly started again and why it only happens with French tips. Am I unwittingly making my first layer too thin do you think. And like I say do you think a 100 grit is too sharp, I am sure I do exactly the same with naturals and never have a prob.

sarah haslam said:
I use LCN self levelling. I apply one thin layer as a bonding layer and then a thicker layer to build up the c-curve and then finish with a sealant layer. I just don't understand why it has suddenly started again and why it only happens with French tips. Am I unwittingly making my first layer too thin do you think. And like I say do you think a 100 grit is too sharp, I am sure I do exactly the same with naturals and never have a prob.
Hiya
Try using a 240 grit file and see what happens and make sure you remove all dust..........try it and see, it's frustrating when something just starts happening and you dont know why!!!

Amanda

Sarah do you cap the free-edge, If you dont this will happen. Also like Lily says try a 240 grit file.

I'll try using the 240 grit and see if it helps. I don't cap the free edge when using tips, only with a natural nail overlay. I wil try it as well, but again I don't do it with natural tips either and never have a prob with them. Any advice though has to be good and I will try anything to stop it EVER happening again. Cheers guys

Try this............
After french tip application, buff the tip with a 240 grit to remove the shine, then apply your bonding layer, cure, apply the second layer and take it over the free edge cure....
Gels need to be capped at the free edge..........as the curing shrinks the gel and the capping ensures a nice grip around the edges...........so make sure the tip is the right length and look before gel application.........as any filing afterwards will crack the capped edge and this can then cause lifting......

When you use normal tips, you would blend those and the shine would be removed during this.......... with french tips, no blending is needed so you might not remove the shine for the product to adhere..........

For blending the tips try using a 180 for the main blending and switch to a 240 for refining...............
HTH
HTH

I sure will give all your hints and tips a try. Thank you so much

I think that the white tips are a problem. Gel is finicky over white tips...too much pigment or something?
I don't think its because of no capping. If that was the case you would have a problem with other tips too.
Try not putting bonder over the tip area and use 1 step as a base (then don't apply it too thin)

I assume LCN cleanser has no acetone in it?

Hi thanks for that. I use a one component gel so use it as my bonding layer. I do think that I have gotten into a habit of putting the first layer on too thin though and I think that may be the prob. Isn't this websire wonderful that I can get advise from such a long way away!!!

I agree that it is probaly white tip. the tip dosent allow for a full cure. the light doesnt pentrate all the way through which wil result in lifting. Also the gel may not be bonding to the tips as a result. the uncured gel settles into the bottom of the enhancment resulting in poor adhesion. i would personally ditch the whte tips with the gels. brisa makes a wonderful paint on white gel. if you can polish a french with enamel then you can use this stuff.

Aw hun thanks. That thread was a really old one, made me jump when I saw it! i just double cure the gel if I use a white tip and no problems. I find it happens even less with brisa than with the LCN gels though!

Latest posts

Back