Gel lifting on NNO

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kooky

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, i'm confused, i've been doing gel nails quite a while now, though i don't ever do NNO, but they're the same right?! I overlayed my own nails with gel (IBD) and they were lifting quite alot within a week, i put this down to me having my hands covered in products all day, in and out of water etc.

Did a set of NNO on friday, and she came back this morning, her right hand had all lifted, quite alot, i was actually amazed, her left hand was ok not a lift in sight, but it can't just be because she uses her right hand for everything. She also said she doesn't do alot of cleaning :rolleyes:, so it can't be that. I always thoroughly prep, and applied the gel exactly the same as i would with tips.

Any ideas??

Where are they lifting....if your prep is fine and you have no lifting on tip and overlay then there shouldn't be lifting in zone 3...so i am guessing its at the free edge...??? if this is the case then capping the free edge of a NNO IMO needs to be more thorougher than with tip and overlay.

Talk us through how you did your NNO and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of this x

I do cap the ends, but you're right the do lift from the free edge, why is this??

It's really difficult to cap if the nails are short, like this clients!

They're not lifting at all from zone 3, it's all at the tip, and works it's way back, any tips for more effective capping?? I use ibd ultra seal top coat.

Thanks x

I do cap the ends, but you're right the do lift from the free edge, why is this??
Because they're not capped sufficiently.

It's really difficult to cap if the nails are short, like this clients!
Use a form and apply the product so the natural nail is thoroughly capped and sealed.
This goes for both L+P and UV gel overlays.
hth's a bit

are you using the builder gel for the nno, this works far better, I have never been able to get a successful nno using the clear gel, but builder gel I have no problems, try freeze curing each nail, ,making sure you cap the free edge as you go along.

Although most of us know you have to cap the free edge, make sure it is the LAST thing you do before putting it in the lamp

It is more difficult to seal in very short nails that is for sure. Also, when you are doing very short nails, you are trying very hard not to make them look thick.

Make them a bit thicker for the first appt (or sculpt a bit as suggested) and them next time when the nails are a bit longer, it will be easier

Gina x

I would use a builder gel instead of a top seal gel, as its stronger and adheres to the plate better.
If the nails are short, either form or tip a little more length so the free edge is capped and will stop the lifting.

Thanks guys, i'll give all that a go when she comes in for her infills, if she comes back!!

I do use builder gel, as i find this better for nno too, i will maybe cap as i go,

thanks for all the info xxx

Most of the time the free edge lifts when you don't sheathe the tip well enough. i do it by each layer. I just make a little string with the Gel and lay this around the free edge. i never have liftings.
Another Problem could be that the Nail might stored/ contains to much moisture. So i use a dehydrator ,just in case, when I do a nno. Never have problems with liftings. But thats just the experience I have make

Latest posts

Back