Gel lifting only at free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzy_SLW

Reaction score
I'm experiencing lifting with cnd brisa sculpting, and brisa lite smoothing. My nails are thin and bend easily, so are kept short. Due to them being short, I can't really cap the side wall of the free edge, as each time I un-pull the skin away, it naturally bounces back to touching the free edge side wall again.
I do cap the free edge at the end of the nail, but this can create an uneven edge, so I do file it after.

I trained with IBD for my NVQ, when I was a teenager. Never went into it professionally, so I only do my own nails.

Try cnd's primer, which I can't remember what it's called, or young nails protein bond

I'm also bit confused about your description. Where exactly do you file again? Side of free edge or the front?

Try cnd's primer, which I can't remember what it's called, or young nails protein bond

I'm also bit confused about your description. Where exactly do you file again? Side of free edge or the front?

Hi,

I file the front, the very tip/end of the nail.

I don't see how it's possible to cap the free edge's side walls - as pulling the fingers skin back, only bounces back and touches the nail

If the skin goes over the side walls of your nails then it's very possible that any gel polish you apply touches the skin, hence the lifting.
Filing the free on its own shouldn't cause lifting on most cases.
Perhaps post some pictures so we can see your nails? It'll give us a better idea

Hi,

I file the front, the very tip/end of the nail.

I don't see how it's possible to cap the free edge's side walls - as pulling the fingers skin back, only bounces back and touches the nail
Could you apply a form?

If the skin goes over the side walls of your nails then it's very possible that any gel polish you apply touches the skin, hence the lifting.
Filing the free on its own shouldn't cause lifting on most cases.
Perhaps post some pictures so we can see your nails? It'll give us a better idea

Hi,

I find that if I cap the free edge at the very end of the nail, it starts to wear off and chip my cnd shellac ... so I assume it's better to file the end to prevent chips?

Could you apply a form?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I think that would probably take me too long, and to be honest, I don't really want any length to my nails

if you are capping your freed edge at every step then maybe it gets too thick, which again can cause lifting.
try capping base, 1 colour, top steps and see how that goes

if you are capping your freed edge at every step then maybe it gets too thick, which again can cause lifting.
try capping base, 1 colour, top steps and see how that goes

It's strange because I've also tried applying one thin layer (brushed on) of sculpting gel and it's still lifting at the corners of the free edge.
I feel like giving up!

Do you dehydrate the nail after cuticle work?

Do you dehydrate the nail after cuticle work?

Yes

I'm going to do two of my fingers again today that have lifted at the free edge corner. I'm just sick of having to do it

Do any of you circular motion rub the first layer of gel onto the nail?

Also, do you apply in layers, or just work the bead of gel straight onto the nail?

I was taught to work the bead straight into the nail plate (with ibd)

Latest posts

Back