Gel manicure description?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m working on my pricing and I’m comparing lots of other peoples price structures and have been ploughing through the forum for tips, thanks so much for the wealth of info on here you are all stars.

I’m getting confused on mani pricing trying to structure so I don’t structure it wrong.
I’ll be doing gel and vinylux with a standard and lux service or possibly extra levels.

A local place offers “gel fingers £20” and “gel mani £24” what would you expect the difference to be ( I’m guessing massage, scrub?) would “gel fingers” just be a push back of cuticles rather than my normal cuticle away/ actual cuticle removal work. I’ve never had gels myself so don’t know what people expect.

They local place don’t offer a luxury gel mani but do offer a normal polish luxury option, seems strange to me that it isn’t offered as a gel luxury version too ( such as mitts etc), do you do many luxury gel manicures?

Grateful as always if you could help me as I’ve been going round in circle for days. I see some folk add £10 for gel services so that just confused me even more ‍♀️

Thank you x

I'd say a 'gel mani' is a full manicure eg soak, scrub, massage followed by cuticles, file and gel polish
And then I would think 'gel fingers' is just the cuticles, file and polish.

Where I work, we offer just standard gel polish service inc prep, standard regular polish service inc prep and what I call a 'Mini Mani' which is just the prep part without any polish. I always do dry prep so no cuticle remover. But each to their own. Xx

I'd say a 'gel mani' is a full manicure eg soak, scrub, massage followed by cuticles, file and gel polish
And then I would think 'gel fingers' is just the cuticles, file and polish.

Where I work, we offer just standard gel polish service inc prep, standard regular polish service inc prep and what I call a 'Mini Mani' which is just the prep part without any polish. I always do dry prep so no cuticle remover. But each to their own. Xx

Thank you for for your help [emoji4]

Anyone else please?? Particularly with cuticles what would you do in a gel nail priced at say £20 as opposed to gel mani that’s a few quid dearer?

And with cuticle deactivation with gel is a quick spray of soapy water enough? I’d be scared of it burning client or affecting the gel?

Anyone else please?? Particularly with cuticles what would you do in a gel nail priced at say £20 as opposed to gel mani that’s a few quid dearer?

And with cuticle deactivation with gel is a quick spray of soapy water enough? I’d be scared of it burning client or affecting the gel?

I don't use cuticle deactivation, but presumably your training provider will have so that you will be able to check with them for best practise is my advise.
I offer gel nails:- cuticle work that is dry as moonails suggests too. Dry cuticle work is cuticle push back and delicate trimming of the excess. Not to be done by anyone inexperienced in using such tools I may add. It is not just the deactivation to be concened about , improper use of tools is very damaging.
A luxury mancure isn't something I am fussed about doing, but that should include hand and arm massge with or without exfoliation and the heated mitts. ( I am trained old school so that's what we did) You need to charge extra for the time involved so say at least £8-£10 more if clients will pay it. Mine won't so no need for me.
Pedicures however they will ...it is so much more about luxury and pampering.
As it is your business, you could do some research from existing clients and take it fom there.
Hope that helps
RosieR

A
I don't use cuticle deactivation, but presumably your training provider will have so that you will be able to check with them for best practise is my advise.
I offer gel nails:- cuticle work that is dry as moonails suggests too. Dry cuticle work is cuticle push back and delicate trimming of the excess. Not to be done by anyone inexperienced in using such tools I may add. It is not just the deactivation to be concened about , improper use of tools is very damaging.
A luxury mancure isn't something I am fussed about doing, but that should include hand and arm massge with or without exfoliation and the heated mitts. ( I am trained old school so that's what we did) You need to charge extra for the time involved so say at least £8-£10 more if clients will pay it. Mine won't so no need for me.
Pedicures however they will ...it is so much more about luxury and pampering.
As it is your business, you could do some research from existing clients and take it fom there.
Hope that helps
RosieR

Ah thanks Rosie, I have only been taught at college the full soak/ cuticle removal method so dry work is new to me. When I did my gel course the cuticle want even mentioned hence me not having a clue! I have never been taught dry push back or dry trimming.

Your college course is obviously correct for a normal wet manicure, however my gel course adding onto my existing manicure qualification only suggested those of us qualified in mancure should perform the cuticle removal. Those totally new to the industry should only push back and encourage the client to soften them with cuticle oil. Thus preventing the need to trim any away at all. So that's probably the same for your course.

Get some practise in and try a couple of cuticle pushers to find one that you like, dry work will become second nature to you after bit.

I still do wet manicures, some IBX repair and strenghten manicures- Where it's all dry work for me. As well as gel polish manicures.
As I have said before I haven't got the time for a manicure upgrade to luxury so don't offer it.
xx

Your college course is obviously correct for a normal wet manicure, however my gel course adding onto my existing manicure qualification only suggested those of us qualified in mancure should perform the cuticle removal. Those totally new to the industry should only push back and encourage the client to soften them with cuticle oil. Thus preventing the need to trim any away at all. So that's probably the same for your course.

Get some practise in and try a couple of cuticle pushers to find one that you like, dry work will become second nature to you after bit.

I still do wet manicures, some IBX repair and strenghten manicures- Where it's all dry work for me. As well as gel polish manicures.
As I have said before I haven't got the time for a manicure upgrade to luxury so don't offer it.
xx

Thanks Rosie, It makes far for sense now with your help! I have the best tools already after reading the recommendations on here and ditching the college kit. I have to nip in later to enrol so I will clarify with them too. You really helped thanks so much x

Latest posts

Back