Gel nail art for beginner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subo

Reaction score
Hey. So iv just started doing gel polish. Can any of you share some pics and instructions for simple but effective gel art? I can do simple things like glitter fade but want to try other things that arnt to difficult.
Thanks in advance

That’s a pretty broad question, there’s no right or wrong way of doing nail art and so many different things you can try. I’d recommend getting some false nails or using nail tips and just experiment. Instagram is great for inspiration. Lots of practice and experimentation is key.

Stamping - I can't free hand at all so use Moyou stamping plates and you can get so many different pictures and designs.

Edit: You can't actually stamp with gel polish though, you'd need highly pigmented regular polish.

Stamping - I can't free hand at all so use Moyou stamping plates and you can get so many different pictures and designs.

Edit: You can't actually stamp with gel polish though, you'd need highly pigmented regular polish.

What brand polish do you use?

I recommend stamping as well, clients love it and you can do some clever tricks, check out good old Youtube for lots of ideas and instruction.

Plates I’ve used that work well are Moyou, Pueen, Born Pretty and Bundle Monster. Good stamping polishes that I’ve found work well are from Moyou, Born Pretty and Twinkled T. I’ve also found a few NailsInc and Mavala polishes that work.

You’ll need a decent silicone stamper and scraper and a roll of tacky wound dressing tape to clean the stamper between uses. A clean up brush and liquid latex are handy too.

Easy to put a little stamping kit together in a little separate case so you only need to carry it when you want it. A plate collection can get quite weighty!

Last edited:
Now you've conquered glitter applications, I would try foils next - try adding partial bits first and then move onto full coverage.
Once confident with these then go for stamping designs.
It all takes time and practice - read & watch all you can on forums and You tube to help you.

I bought some gold and glue, I'm not sure if the glue is a bad or not. Once iv put it on, let it dry, put the foil on, the glue just peels right off like eyelash glue. Should it do That?

What brand of gel polish and lamp do you have?
Foils are applied slightly differently according to what brand you use.

If you have shellac, double cure your final coat of colour to make it extra sticky.
  1. Wipe the back of the foil with scrub fresh.
  2. Press the backside of the foil onto the sticky nail and the foil should transfer.
  3. Top coat as usual.
Shellac Blackpool is the stickiest colour to use under foils if appropriate. The darker the colour underneath better really!

What brand of gel polish and lamp do you have?
Foils are applied slightly differently according to what brand you use.

If you have shellac, double cure your final coat of colour to make it extra sticky.
  1. Wipe the back of the foil with scrub fresh.
  2. Press the backside of the foil onto the sticky nail and the foil should transfer.
  3. Top coat as usual.
Shellac Blackpool is the stickiest colour to use under foils if appropriate. The darker the colour underneath better really!
I use flirties. Iv tried sticking it to cured gel (LED lamp) but it doesn' seem sticky enough.

I use Moyou stamping polishes with their plates and stamper.
Although I have used Models Own polish and China Glaze - darker the polish the more pigmented it is so easier to stamp with.

I use flirties. Iv tried sticking it to cured gel (LED lamp) but it doesn' seem sticky enough.

I've never used flirties so I can't advise, sorry. I'm sure someone else will be able to help though!

Latest posts

Back