Gel nail embellishments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmadorney

Reaction score
Hi geeks Iv just done my gel nail training and I was wondering at what point can we put glitter , foil transfers and so on on to the nail ?
Many thanks in advance

Hi geeks Iv just done my gel nail training and I was wondering at what point can we put glitter , foil transfers and so on on to the nail ?
Many thanks in advance

When you’ve completed your colour coats, simple add the glitter/foil/transfers to the sticky inhibition layer, ensuring they’re nice and flat/smooth, then apply your top coat.

When you’ve completed your colour coats, simple add the glitter/foil/transfers to the sticky inhibition layer, ensuring they’re nice and flat/smooth, then apply your top coat.

So would you still remove the sticky layer first ? Sorry to sound silly

So would you still remove the sticky layer first ? Sorry to sound silly

Not a silly question at all ;)

The inhibition layer will act as the “bond”, so no removal of it is needed. Just wipe your top coat in the usual way when all has been completed.

You can apply glitter in different ways. Using a soft fluffy brush dab a little in then gently burnish it into the sticky inhibition later, dust off excess then top coat. This is particularly effective with holographic glitters and gives metallic glitters a foiled look.
You can also just dab them on, pat in then float your top coat over gently.
You can also mix a little into top coat on a tile/foil etc then apply to give a light shimmer.

Sorry I’m going to jump on this thread.. I understand how to apply glitter. Will nail foils adhere to the tacky layer too? As I’ve seen some people use glue with it.. also marbling.. so many different techniques- i was taught apply blobs of polish, drop acetone drops and swirl.. however some people mix 2/3 different colours together to create a marble affect.. i’m lost to which is the correct way ‍♀️ sorry if I sound stupid [emoji23]

Sorry I’m going to jump on this thread.. I understand how to apply glitter. Will nail foils adhere to the tacky layer too? As I’ve seen some people use glue with it.. also marbling.. so many different techniques- i was taught apply blobs of polish, drop acetone drops and swirl.. however some people mix 2/3 different colours together to create a marble affect.. i’m lost to which is the correct way ‍♀️ sorry if I sound stupid [emoji23]

Some Gel Polish will leave enough of a sticky layer for the foil to stick to some don't, even some colours within the same brand will sometimes leave a different level of stickiness, you'll need to check your specific brand.

Foils over normal nail polish will definitely need foil glue, make sure the polish is completely dry or it will come off with the foil tape

Marbelling is done in lots of different ways depending on what it's going over. For instance you can't use acetone to disperse the colours if you're putting it over normal polish or it will disolve the original colour, but you can do it over Gel Polish as obviously it's cured so the acetone won't disturb the base colour.

Some Gel Polish will leave enough of a sticky layer for the foil to stick to some don't, even some colours within the same brand will sometimes leave a different level of stickiness, you'll need to check your specific brand.

Foils over normal nail polish will definitely need foil glue, make sure the polish is completely dry or it will come off with the foil tape

Marbelling is done in lots of different ways depending on what it's going over. For instance you can't use acetone to disperse the colours if you're putting it over normal polish or it will disolve the original colour, but you can do it over Gel Polish as obviously it's cured so the acetone won't disturb the base colour.

Thank you for reply. At work we use cnd shellac. Do you know if that requires a glue to use foils? And do you know what kind of glue works best? As for marbling I meant to add this is the way with gel polish.. what method do you recommend is best for normal polish and gel polish?

I used CND Shellac but don't foil over it as I never got the results I wanted. Maybe I didn't spend enough time practising it, to be honest foil doesn't rock my boat so I don't use it.

Marbelling with normal polish is better done with the blob method whilst it's wet.

Gel polish is better with IPA rather than acetone.

I used CND Shellac but don't foil over it as I never got the results I wanted. Maybe I didn't spend enough time practising it, to be honest foil doesn't rock my boat so I don't use it.

Marbelling with normal polish is better done with the blob method whilst it's wet.

Gel polish is better with IPA rather than acetone.

Thank you for your advice! Will have to give it a go x

I use CND shellac and foils a lot, and the sticky layer is perfect for dabbing foils into it, for that kind of crackled effect.
For full coverage, or if I try to get a whole patterns transferred I always use foil glue.

Shellac is great as it is so sticky the foil goes on really easily.
6a85c2e2dfb7425e9015ccef75cad38d.jpg

This is a set I did a couple of weeks ago:
Shellac Blackpool x2 , Lecente antique foil plus 1 coat of decadence & top coat
- Very Christmassy

After the color applications and before top layer.

Not a silly question at all ;)

The inhibition layer will act as the “bond”, so no removal of it is needed. Just wipe your top coat in the usual way when all has been completed.

Thanku xx

You can apply glitter in different ways. Using a soft fluffy brush dab a little in then gently burnish it into the sticky inhibition later, dust off excess then top coat. This is particularly effective with holographic glitters and gives metallic glitters a foiled look.
You can also just dab them on, pat in then float your top coat over gently.
You can also mix a little into top coat on a tile/foil etc then apply to give a light shimmer.

Thanku x

Latest posts

Back