Gel nail extensions breaking at apex and coming off clean

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madixking

Reaction score
I’ve started doing my own gel nails feel like I have a good understanding and i am determined to perfect this. I’m a beginner and I’m assuming too young to do a course as I’m only 17 I love how my nails are turning out but just can’t seem to get them to last:/ I’ve understood that by them breaking off clean it could be a prep problem or a curing problem. I’m using a lamp off of AliExpress 48w and it says it’s led/uv?? And I’ve understood that them breaking at the apex means that your apex isn’t built enough but I find even if I have it build really high they still break
For prep-
Push cuticles back
Use a grit file over the top of the nail
Dehydrate (cheep one I got from an acrylic kit)
Primer (from the same kit)

I feel that it’s not enough but I don’t know what my prep routine should be.
For my gel I’m using ibd gel builder
For the extensions I glue on my tips (which I find will separate from my natural nail while under the gel and will lead to my nails coming off...)

Try to buy a primer from the brand you're working with. It's not a great idea to mix your brands which can cause breaking and lifting.
You don't need an expensive dehydrator, acetone or alcohol will do, but definitely buy a primer that goes with the gel you're using.
The lamp may also be an issue, it might say it's 48W but there's no way to be certain.

For the tips - you might be using ones that are too small. The tips need to fit from side to side, without pushing them down. If they're too small but fit when you push them down, it causes pressure and it'll eventually pop off.

The problem with trying to teach yourself is that you are likely to pick up bad habits that could be difficult to correct and also cause damage to your nails so I really would recommend going on a course so you can be taught properly. You seem to be very enthusiastic and keen to learn how to do your nails to a professional standard so I think it would be very worthwhile (and enjoyable) for you. I see you're in Ontario, so Im not sure about age restrictions there but it should be easy to find out if you contact local colleges/educators. Good luck

The problem with trying to teach yourself is that you are likely to pick up bad habits that could be difficult to correct and also cause damage to your nails so I really would recommend going on a course so you can be taught properly. You seem to be very enthusiastic and keen to learn how to do your nails to a professional standard so I think it would be very worthwhile (and enjoyable) for you. I see you're in Ontario, so Im not sure about age restrictions there but it should be easy to find out if you contact local colleges/educators. Good luck

Thank you so much I will definitely look into doing a course cus I’m sure I would love it and I know I would learn a lot, thanks again!

Thank you so much I will definitely look into doing a course cus I’m sure I would love it and I know I would learn a lot, thanks again!
I hope you can find a course, I'm absolutely sure you'll love it! :)

To me it sounds like your tips are causing the problem - have you tried sculpting?

To me it sounds like your tips are causing the problem - have you tried sculpting?

I have not tried sculpting but I’ve learned a few things that I was doing wrong, I was using tips that were too small causing pressure and I’ve recently started applying a small amount of glue on the natural nail and the tip before putting the tip on the nail and those 2 things have helped alot

I have not tried sculpting but I’ve learned a few things that I was doing wrong, I was using tips that were too small causing pressure and I’ve recently started applying a small amount of glue on the natural nail and the tip before putting the tip on the nail and those 2 things have helped alot
You need a generous amount of glue on the tip and ensure there are no air bubbles at all in the contact between the well of the tip and the nail [emoji106][emoji106][emoji140][emoji178]

P.s. have a go at sculpting with forms as well (YouTube have some good techs to follow) - I think with practice you would get good results x

Latest posts

Back