Gel nail extensions lifting - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess263107

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice and whether someone can tell me what I am doing wrong!

I seem to be having a recurring problem with gel nails lifting in the same place!

I use Sally's builder gel (https://www.sallybeauty.co.uk/nails...s/salon-services-uv-gel-clear-28g/515412.html) and ASP dehydrator.

I have had this problem for a long time and have focused on improving my prep work but no matter what I do, the gel still lifts in the bottom corners of the nail.

It never seems to lift at the bottom itself, just in the corners. I have attached images although they aren't very good, just to show what has been happening (these nails were only done on Monday!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I will have to stop if i can't fix this.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 66
Hi. It can be disheartening but don't give up :) Which primer do you use, which lamp do you use, and what is your filing routine? :)
It's difficult to tell from the photos, as they are not so close up, but there is a possibility the product is too thick in those areas you mentioned.

Hi. It can be disheartening but don't give up :) Which primer do you use, which lamp do you use, and what is your filing routine? :)
It's difficult to tell from the photos, as they are not so close up, but there is a possibility the product is too thick in those areas you mentioned.

Thanks for replying, I’m so determined to figure out what it is! I used ASP acidless primer but have tried acid primers and doesnt seem to affect the lifting.

I am very careful when I file because of damage that has been caused to my own nails, perhaps I should be less afraid, any tips on the filing? Perhaps I should change the grit of my files.

I checked my lamp, I can’t see a brand name on it and it’s so old I’ve forgotten where it came from but I didn’t even consider this to be an option because this lifting has happened since the day I started but maybe the lamp was naff all along!

Sorry I’ll ask her to send more pics. It’s always like a small semi circle that lifts in both bottom corners near the cuticle but the centre never lifts! Which lead me to think it wasn’t my prep work but I must be doing something wrong

I try to apply the gel very thin in those areas and build up in 2 or 3 layers.

Thanks for clarifying. :)Do you use only a dehydrator, or only a primer or both? Did you also train with Sally's? I have never used Sally's so I'm not sure what their system requires, if it requires both or one of them.
With filing routine, I meant your routine when filing the ehancements after sculpting them. I have been taught to start with the sidewalls, then cuticle area, then the contour, and free edge last, in order to minimise lifting. As for your lamp, it is advised to use the lamp that goes with the gel system you use, or at least ask the distributor which lamp they recommend for their system. Otherwise you risk undercuring the product and it can lead to service breakdown. There are some great videos on youtube that can show you how to apply gel to the cuticle area. Personally I build the nail in 1 layer, from cuticle to free edge (after I applied the base layer), and then file it into shape.
If you use tips, you can also try sculpting with a form instead or ask your educator for a 1-1 class to go over issues you have.
So I think to TLDR, first steps could potentially be to:
1) Speak to your educator or any educator to get some 1-1 time to go over prep and application.
2) Use the correct lamp for your system.
3) Use the system correctly - if it requires both dehydrator and primer, or just one, and application techniques etc.

If you feel you have exhausted all your options, you can try another gel system. I use CND and Lilly Nails, and I am happy with both. They have their own primers, but I prefer to use Young Nails Protein Bond, it gives great adhesion and it can be used with other systems.
Here is a nice video by YN that demonstrates. :)

Thanks for clarifying. :)Do you use only a dehydrator, or only a primer or both? Did you also train with Sally's? I have never used Sally's so I'm not sure what their system requires, if it requires both or one of them.
With filing routine, I meant your routine when filing the ehancements after sculpting them. I have been taught to start with the sidewalls, then cuticle area, then the contour, and free edge last, in order to minimise lifting. As for your lamp, it is advised to use the lamp that goes with the gel system you use, or at least ask the distributor which lamp they recommend for their system. Otherwise you risk undercuring the product and it can lead to service breakdown. There are some great videos on youtube that can show you how to apply gel to the cuticle area. Personally I build the nail in 1 layer, from cuticle to free edge (after I applied the base layer), and then file it into shape.
If you use tips, you can also try sculpting with a form instead or ask your educator for a 1-1 class to go over issues you have.
So I think to TLDR, first steps could potentially be to:
1) Speak to your educator or any educator to get some 1-1 time to go over prep and application.
2) Use the correct lamp for your system.
3) Use the system correctly - if it requires both dehydrator and primer, or just one, and application techniques etc.

If you feel you have exhausted all your options, you can try another gel system. I use CND and Lilly Nails, and I am happy with both. They have their own primers, but I prefer to use Young Nails Protein Bond, it gives great adhesion and it can be used with other systems.
Here is a nice video by YN that demonstrates. :)

I can’t thank you enough for this information, it is so helpful thank you for taking the time to tell me all of this. I will definitely be changing systems and buying a new lamp and hopefully that changes things!! I do the exact same process as you with filing and yes I use a primer and a dehydrator just because I felt like surely that could only make adhesion better but perhaps I’m wrong on that too! I was trained to use primer only.

Feeling much more positive now, thank you so much! I have attached more pics that she sent me just incase you would like to see.

Attachments

• DC3A64BB-13A1-477B-8D7A-D9324C29CC50.jpeg
    DC3A64BB-13A1-477B-8D7A-D9324C29CC50.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 3B01941D-091A-406E-8046-ADA94B75E94D.jpeg
    3B01941D-091A-406E-8046-ADA94B75E94D.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 40
  • F6A65DB7-B872-4532-BB68-5088D022E7D5.jpeg
    F6A65DB7-B872-4532-BB68-5088D022E7D5.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 36
I can’t thank you enough for this information, it is so helpful thank you for taking the time to tell me all of this. I will definitely be changing systems and buying a new lamp and hopefully that changes things!! I do the exact same process as you with filing and yes I use a primer and a dehydrator just because I felt like surely that could only make adhesion better but perhaps I’m wrong on that too! I was trained to use primer only.

Feeling much more positive now, thank you so much! I have attached more pics that she sent me just incase you would like to see.

You're welcome. I hope you got something out of it. :) If you want to change systems, have a look around this site for what people recommend (and why they recommend it). As I mentioned, I use CND and Lilly Nails, but prefer Lilly Nails, they are quality products made in sweden and have a great selection of gels, and beautiful gel polish range. I also have heard good things about Young Nails, and I use their primer, which is magic. Reduced lifting a lot for me. There are many others as well, like Light Elegance (check out Celina Ryden on youtube for in depth info on that brand). Changing system may seem costly at first, since you would have to get their base, builders, top coat and should also purchase that brand's lamp (especially if you chose cnd) but in the end it could also be worth it because you'll have the lamp for a long time anyway, and with the peace of mind that it will its own products cure properly. PS: A lot of brands have courses called "come on over" or "conversion". This is basically an affordable (usually) 1 day class for professional nail techs, where their products are included in the course and you are basically shown how to use their system. You'd be shown how to use their products and also get a kit included, so that could be something to look into, if you ever wanted to change system.

Latest posts

Back