Gel nail extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEGx.

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondered weather any of you could help me? I completed my Level 2 in beauty therapy In June and I'm looking for some advice. I did nail enhancements as part of my course using the calgel system (it's not a calgel qualification but my college obviously had some kind of deal set up with calgel and 2 of my tutors had calgel premier status).. Anyway I can't buy from calgel after Completing this qualification because you have to be trained directly with them which is fair enough but now I'm wanting to try other systems and do further training in gel nail extensions with my chosen brand so that I can offer gel nail extensions mobile.. And to my knowledge(correct me. If I'm wrong) calgel is what's known as a soft gel.. And I believe other brands are known as hard gel and I believe the difference is that soft gel is soak off and hard gel is buff off? Well I've herd lots of good things about cnd training so was looking into brisa lite training and was also looking into nail harmonys hard gel system aswell so just wanted some information really and some opinions and recommendations? I also wondered wether as I already did training in gel ail extentions as part of my beauty course, would I be able to do a conversion course or wether I'd have to do a full beginners course as I havnt been trained in a specific brand? Thanks guys hope some of you will be able to help me out :) xx

Hi ya.. I do calgel and love it.. Why don't u go and do the full course with them?x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi ya.. I do calgel and love it.. Why don't u go and do the full course with them?x

Yeah ive looked into that but I didn't find my extentions using calgel lasted more than a week a lot of the time :-( which I kno can be down to a number of other things such as application, technique etc. But the product didn't seem like it could handle much so was wondering wether gels known as hard gels last better.. But then I think to myself if that was the case then calgel wouldn't even be in business and nail techs wouldn't use them so mabey it was just something I was doing.. Any ideas? Mabey I would benefit from the proper calgel training so I can focus on specifically that xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't tend to do a lot of enhancements if I'm honest, I found that not putting the clear gel underneath the tips to work better.. I use the non-blendable tips and they work loads better, I then build up the apex and the shape with clear then I colour over the top.. I had a play around with different tips and methods.. I can't comment on hard gel as I've never used it.. I also use acrylic and Calgel over them.. I get a lot of my clients with short nails to have clear gel for a few weeks and get them to grow their own nails, works wonders..x

I too did beauty therapy and I found that the nail training covered the basics of every treatment, but didn't go deeply into anything.

I would say that product manufacturers have the best training as they know their products inside out. And they are doing nails all day every day.

Someone correct me if im wrong but i think calgel is similar to bio sculpture!? I have used bio sculpture and it really isn't successful for extensions, i know some therapists use it & love it but i think you should go with a system with little problems!? I hated doing extensions with bio, almost knowing that when the client left they wouldn't last & they seemed to take ages to do, having to sculp, shape then paint over with a french! I do mostly acrylic but if i was going to use gel sculptures again i would be interested in the brisa light sculpting gel!? Iv used nsi builder gels and liked them but the brisa can be soaked off which makes them different to most hard gels-i hate buffing off gel extensions! I personally think the calgel/bio are only good for weak natural nails for a semi permanent polish look.

Thanks for all your replies guys you've given me some food for thought now! :).. I have found calgel to be pretty rubbish in terms of lasting which is my main concern because I'm worried about it not lasting if I was to do it on a client and I sort of feel I'm not able to trust in the product and that brand.. On here I've realised a lot of people trust in the cnd brand and there training is second to none from what I've read so that's why I've been looking into brisa light xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back