Gel nail question, I would really appreciate ur time :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jazmin_

Reaction score
hi,

sorry to bother any of u, but i just had a quick question and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

about a month ago i got acrylic nails done, unfortunatley i got them done in one of those "less then professional" nail salons where i didn't feel as tho they did a very good job (roughed up my nail with an e-file and my acrylic nails quickly began to lift) and i have good reason to believe MMA based acrylics were used (they did not soak off easily and when they finally did, took bits of the top layer of nail with it when they came off). I am now considering gel nails instead, i'm willing to pay the higher cost because i really enjoyed having nails (i bite mine) but do not want acrylics again...Now here is my question:

I want to be sure the nail tech i'm going to will do a good job and will produce great results, what sort of questions should i ask her before booking an appointment? Also how can i make sure these will be real gel nails and not traditional acrylics with a layer of gel on top? Thanks so much for your time, again i really appreciate it :)

If the gel looks like gel and comes out of a pot then it's gel, if it is applied by using a liquid in one pot and powder in another then it is acrylic.

Ask the tech if you can see her training certificates - is she/he is reputable thery really won't have a problem with this - you could also ask to see a copy of their insurance!

hi,

sorry to bother any of u, but i just had a quick question and any answers would be greatly appreciated.

about a month ago i got acrylic nails done, unfortunatley i got them done in one of those "less then professional" nail salons where i didn't feel as tho they did a very good job (roughed up my nail with an e-file and my nails quickly began to lift) and i have good reason to believe MMA based acrylics were used (they did not soak off easily and when they finally did, took bits of the top layer of nail with it when they came off). I am now considering gel nails instead, i'm willing to pay the higher cost because i really enjoyed having nails (i bite mine) but do not want acrylics again...Now here is my question:

I want to be sure the nail tech i'm going to will do a good job and will produce great results, what sort of questions should i ask her before booking an appointment? Also how can i make sure these will be real gel nails and not traditional acrylics with a layer of gel on top? Thanks so much for your time, again i really appreciate it :)

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience at a Non Standard Salon, but please don't base your bad experience on l&p (acrylics), it was the poor practises of the salon that you went to that contributed to the condition of your nails not the l&p(acrylics). l&p and gel are from the same family, acrylics.
Where abouts in Canada are you based, as there are a few geeks on here from different parts of Canada that may be able to help you. Hopefully one of them is in your hometown.

don't worry i know it was the fault of the nail tech, not the acrylics themselves, i just did sum research and decided that i would really like to try gels. I completly respect professional l&p nail techs that do great work, just wanted to try sumthing new :)
keep em coming...thanks again!

Gels are called gels because they are precisely that - a premixed gel usually cured under a uv lamp. Liquid & powder (aka acrylics) are called this as they are a liquid (monomer) and powder (polymer) that are mixed together. so that is how you can tell the difference there.

As to find a good technician, personal recommendation is really the best way. If you can't do this then phone around and ask the questions you are asking us. A good technician that has nothing to hide will be happy to answer your questions ... although don't have too many as they may have to cut you short as they have a client with them. You will soon get a feel for the person who is right for you.

Latest posts

Back