Gel nails and pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemmadorney

Reaction score
Hi geeks so I have a pedicure and gel nails booked in next week I was wondering will the soaking of the feet stop the gel from curing correctly ? If so how do you guys do your pedicures ? Also had anyone worked out the cost to do a set of gel nails ? I’m thinking a couple of pound ? I use ink London if that helps x

I’m thinking a couple of pound ? I use ink London if that helps x

Conact INK London and ask for their 'cost per service' - it's an industry standard thing that each supplier will have, it will tell you exactly how much each set costs within their brand range.

Conact INK London and ask for their 'cost per service' - it's an industry standard thing that each supplier will have, it will tell you exactly how much each set costs within their brand range.

Ohhh I didn’t know this thanku xx

Soaking in water will compromise the gel polish.
Do the gel polish part of the service first, then soak.

Ink London don't state a cost per service because there are so many variables, such as which base coat you use, number and thickness of coats applied, size/length of nails, how many lint free wipes you use, whether you use a new file per client etc etc.

Ink London don't state a cost per service because there are so many variables, such as which base coat you use, number and thickness of coats applied, size/length of nails, how many lint free wipes you use, whether you use a new file per client etc etc.

No brand includes things like abrasives or disposables in cost per service, but they should provide the information for their 'system'.

No brand includes things like abrasives or disposables in cost per service, but they should provide the information for their 'system'.[/QUOTE

Yes, that's fair enough about the disposables.
They did have a basic cost per service estimator a while back, but they have introduced so many more products (bases, tops) that have a different cost and some use them, some don't, that they emphasise it can only be a very rough guide due to the variables mentioned (i.e., size/length of nail, number of coats used etc).

they emphasise it can only be a very rough guide due to the variables mentioned

It's a good place to start your cost calculations rather than 'Susan down the road charges £25, I'll charge £24.50'

Last edited:
For pedicures, toenails are thicker and do not absorb water the way that fingernails do, and they are not exposed to use and abuse like fingernails. A 3-5 soak is useful for sanitizing and cleaning the feet before a pedicure. I usually soak and wash the feet for about four minutes prior to a gel pedicure and we have no problems at all.

I offer several levels of pedicure service with a choice of normal polish or gel polish.
On the issue of whether to soak prior to gel or not, I think if you really are doing a quick dip to basically wash the feet then you will not get problems with gel polish adhering well - with the proviso that you dehydrate well before applying the base coat.
However, if a client has requested gel polish pedicure with soaking / mask / hard skin removal then I feel that the gel polish should be applied before the feet get wet as the client is looking for a longer more indulgent pedicure especially if you have to soften hard skin before removal.

For the client, one of the best bits is the foot spa with bubbles and lovely smells while they drink their coffee and choose their colour. All part of their salon experience. So therefore if your pedicure service includes these relaxing elements then do all the gel application first and there should be no issues with product longevity.

Latest posts

Back