Gel nails broken

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

florence2004

Reaction score
ok geeks so I have finally got my arse in gear and produced a couple of full sets of gel. I am using Brisa and did a full set on Friday for my friend across the street and she has already lost 3 tips!! What have I done wrong? The are pretty much breaking where the tips have joined the natural nail. Also what do I do about putting them right as brisa is a buff off gel? Do I have to buff all the rest off and completely replace them - if so is this not going to take a while?
Thanks
Jackie

the first thought in my head is, did you build an apex?

what kind of tips did you use? what kind of adhesive?

brisa is a file off gel. is there any gel left on the nail bed? i would file off any gel that is where i want to place a new tip, smooth any jagged areas, remove any lifting, and personally i'd reduce the thickness of what was left on the nail (that way i wouldn't have to fight to build up to what's already applied, i think it makes for a smoother application, but that may just be me), then apply the new tip and go from there. that'd be my solution to the sticky situation... as for why it happened, my guess is the apex wasn't enough or positioned correctly, but maybe another geek could help out more =o)

Other then the training i did in college i havnt used Gel.. but when i did i found it hard to build the apex.. that was my first thought too.. that your apex wasnt strong enough..
Sorry i cant be of more help with the rest as i dont know the system you use.. never worked with it!

This used to happen to me. There were 2 major problems, I hadn't built enough of an Apex and I was generally making them too thin.
I file off all lifted/broken product, thin out the rest, re tip and start again.

Have you read Gigi's tutorial on Gel application ? it helped me a lot.

keep thinking beads...like with L&P...pick up a good sized bead of gel and roll it off your brush so the bead sits in the stress area...then using the point of your brush..(i use a pointed brush for building gel) gently pull some of the gel from the edges of that bead to zone 3. never let the brush drag on the nail...otherwise you are removing too much gel from the bead.

Think beads !!!...not paint on. xx

thanks geeks
so are you saying on the broken ones not to remove all the gel? Just to file it down, tip and reapply?

I was thinking it was something to do with the stress area but I though that was in zone 2 and it is literally just the white tips that have broken off in zone 1.

Bagpuss - I have been doing it pretty much as you describe. Am I maybe not putting enough gel on?

thanks geeks
so are you saying on the broken ones not to remove all the gel? Just to file it down, tip and reapply?

I was thinking it was something to do with the stress area but I though that was in zone 2 and it is literally just the white tips that have broken off in zone 1.

Bagpuss - I have been doing it pretty much as you describe. Am I maybe not putting enough gel on?
I don't remove all the gel - just any that is lifted or damaged.
Gigi described the amount of gel in zone 2 as about the size of a petit pois (smaller for pinkie, bigger for thumb) I found that helpful when I was having problems HTH

ok geeks so I have finally got my arse in gear and produced a couple of full sets of gel. I am using Brisa and did a full set on Friday for my friend across the street and she has already lost 3 tips!! What have I done wrong? The are pretty much breaking where the tips have joined the natural nail. Also what do I do about putting them right as brisa is a buff off gel? Do I have to buff all the rest off and completely replace them - if so is this not going to take a while?
Thanks
Jackie

hi ya

your pretty much going to have to buff ALL of the gel off the broken ones (tedious job it is too:rolleyes:)

Re prep the nail, and re tip and apply product.

You really need to work on this stress area - in a few layers if needs be - acces the others whilst she is there too look for cracks along the side walls where the tips meet to see if there are any potential problems arising !

Have you tried sculpting? i find sculpting much less problematic, and much stronger (and quicker)

hth

amb x

ah ok ! you got two ways to choose from !!

just speaking on what i would do!

Latest posts

Back