Gel nails coming off after swimming?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc88

Reaction score
I have a client who had her nails done last night, today she has text me to say they have all come off after going swimming.. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had this complaint before!! x

Chlorine causes gel to lift, you should advise clients to wash their hands as soon as they get out the pool x

I was taught as long as you have prepped properly they will be fine. I have quite a few life guard and swimming instructor clients and there's are always fine and last just like everyone else's x

Felicity xx

Been doing gel extensions for over 8 years and not once has there been an ill effect due to swimming.

Could it be that whatever the client did coincides with swimming?

P.S.
I should add that some brands are better formulated than others and can better withstand the water.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I am a swimming instructor and am in the water for 20hrs a week.

What is the best gel to use? soak off or Buff (i am CND qualified, but have not done nails in about 7 years, so am very very out of the loop)

All the salons wont give me an answer just trying to push their product, mostly shellac.

Hope someone can help as the chlorine is stripping my nails. I didn't want to start a new post when this one seemed apt, so apologies for hijacking

Hi Purplebunnies,

Have you tried Calgel? As it's a true gel rather than a gel polish it's going to be more suited to your needs. We also have a product called Iz Gel which is specifically designed for people who's hands are constantly in and out of water/heavy handed etc!

I would be more than happy to send you a sample if you are interested.

Alison :)

I'm also a swimming instructor. In the water 3 hrs at a time, 4 days a week. I put my own Gelish on and it lasts 4 weeks plus on my toes. The colour does fade over time but that's to be expected in the chlorinated water that long. I could easily peel it off my hands though after being in the water for 3hrs as my nails go very soft in water. But obviously doing this would damage my nails so I don't. Hope this helps. I also have a few colleagues as Gelish clients who manage to keep it on for ages too. 😃

Thank you for that offer, but i sold most of my gel equipment off including my lamp, so would have no way to cure.

Do you know anyone that you supply to in the aylesbury area, Everyone is either Shellac or Bio. It seams that L&P and Gel are a thing of the past here

Thanks

I have a client who had her nails done last night, today she has text me to say they have all come off after going swimming.. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had this complaint before!! x

What gel is it you use? Hard or soak off?
I use bio sculpture and when done as an overlay & clients go swimming it can soften if they do not wash their hands afterwards, but that is on bios aftercare leaflets which I give clients. Other than that I've not had it lift wether hard gels or gel polishes x

I swim three times every week for about 45 min and Gel 2 has lasted very well for about 3 weeks.
Shellac hasn't lasted as long as Gel 2 and usually chips or peels off after a week. Though it's difficult to know is it the pool water doing the damage or being a nail technician + full time mum :)

Hi Purplebunnies,

Have you tried Calgel? As it's a true gel rather than a gel polish it's going to be more suited to your needs. We also have a product called Iz Gel which is specifically designed for people who's hands are constantly in and out of water/heavy handed etc!

I would be more than happy to send you a sample if you are interested.

I use bio sculpture and I do find it goes a bit soft and a few nails will start to lift after swimming. Alison is the iz gel much different to the bio treatment gels? Can it be used with bio? X

I swim every week with my kids and I'm in the pool for 1hr, I have shellac on my nails and have never found it to lift. Maybe it could be something else.

I'm on holiday at the moment in the Maldives, using sun tan lotions, swimming in sea and pool etc and no problems at all and I'm wearing Skyscraper building gel which is a soak of enhancement product which I'm so pleased with as always wore l&p before...

Hi Purplebunnies,

I am based in Hemel & actually work in the surrounding areas. I will drop you a message with my details now.

Hi Pink_Princess,

We have a number of Bio customers who have replaced their clear gels with Iz gel as it is a multi use gel that can be used on the natural nail as well as for sculpting & building.

I can send you a tester if you are interested in trialing it on yourself?

Hi Pink_Princess,

We have a number of Bio customers who have replaced their clear gels with Iz gel as it is a multi use gel that can be used on the natural nail as well as for sculpting & building.

I can send you a tester if you are interested in trialing it on yourself?

Alison could you send me a tester Id be interested to see how it fairs against my bio gel x

No probs! I will drop you a message now.

Could I also try some IZ gel? X

Latest posts

Back