Gel nails help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailzique

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I am getting very frustrated with Gel nails I had a client 2 weeks ago within the first two days 9 fell off (just 9) no 10 was perfect and is still perfect I dont have any problems with mine .............. anyway I redid them and so far she has lost 4 in the first week what am I doing wrong? A friend of mine who always has acrylics now said a similar thing happened to her with Gel and has had acrylic ever since!! Any help would be much appreciated I am wondering if maybe a little more filing at the start of the treatment would be better!!:confused:

You'll have to take us through your prep so that we can get a better idea. Are you touching skin with the gel? Is it flooding the side walls and eponychium? If so, that would surely be the reason. If not, maybe it is down to your prep procedure.

I have had this happen to only one client before (where the nails have just come off..was only a few of them) but her nails were very weak and bendy and she had just a few days before torn a set of acrylics off. I still question whether or not they really did just come off because none of my other clients have even had lifting on their gel enhancements. The only times i've had lifting was when I was training and touching the sidewalls and eponychium with gel.

Thank you Shannon,

No I dont touch the sidewalls at all I sanitize then buff the nails to take off the natural shine apply tips then non acid primer then the Gel without touching the sidewalls.

What about removing cuticle?

Sorry that 1st before the others

Hi

Can you talk us completely through your prep and application from start to finish. Then we can see what the problem could be. Every little detail :)

Last edited:
How many clients are keeping their nails on.Also what brand are you using.

Right start to finish apply cuticle remover then remove any loose cuticle and push back, sanitise hands, apply tips then apply non acid primer to the nail,then apply the gel to the tip for french manicure look dry then apply the pink dry and another layer of pink dry wipe tacky layer off file then apply clear and glaze rub oil into nails. I am using NSI balance at the moment before I was using Salon Services Iv had two clients loose nails one lost 4 on one hand the other as I said lost 9 I have had no problems myself or others I am wondering if my cuticle work needs a bit more detail and care..................Thanks so much for your help

Hi are you
1. getting clients to wash off the cuticle remover?
2. Buffing the nail tip to remove shine?

Right start to finish apply cuticle remover then remove any loose cuticle and push back, sanitise hands, apply tips then apply non acid primer to the nail,then apply the gel to the tip for french manicure look dry then apply the pink dry and another layer of pink dry wipe tacky layer off file then apply clear and glaze rub oil into nails. I am using NSI balance at the moment before I was using Salon Services Iv had two clients loose nails one lost 4 on one hand the other as I said lost 9 I have had no problems myself or others I am wondering if my cuticle work needs a bit more detail and care..................Thanks so much for your help

Do you buff the nail plate and cleanse before adding tips?
Do you take the shine off the tips before adding primer?
Are you capping the free edge after each gel application?

Don't forget to build the apex, this gives the whole extensions strength!!!

Have you had a look at your clients nails after the nail pings off? If it's clean off and no chalky appearance, I'd say it was your prep. All the tips mentioned above would help, but the link rinn has posted should definitely help big time. If using a cuticle remover, make sure it's deactivated and removed. Buff the shine off both the nails and tips. Make sure the nail plate is clean of left over cuticles and dust before applying primer/bonder. I would probably also put a clear base before building the pink and white. Good prep = good adhesion.

Thank you everyone so much, it is so much clearer now thanks for that link Rinn I think that is invaluable I can certainly see where I have been going wrong.......................You guys have been better than the bad training that I paid for!!! I feel so much better today x

There are also info sheets on the NSI website (nsinails.co.uk, scroll down and go to 'product support' section on the left) these might help, along with the instruction videos on the Nail Angel website (which uses NSI products).

Good luck - am sure you will get it sorted!

Latest posts

Back