Gel nails lifting and popping off clean

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirasenn

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Probably will be looked down upon since I am a self taught nail tech since I cannot afford a course yet, but I am teaching myself how to do gel nails and I rly need advice as I wanna do this as a side job!

I am very meticulous with nail prep, with preparing the cuticle area, filing down the nail,, removing the shine degreasing sanitising applying primer/bonder etc. The gels I use are from Base One by silcare, I use some simple plain nail art brushes that do their job rly well, my apex curve looks okay, filing skills working.. I use a different brand lamp and idk if thats the issue as my gels require 36W lamp and this lamp has 36W.
I cannot pinpoint the issue at all and I really need some advice and help cause I put so much heart into this and it is sad to see them popping off or lifting after a day or a week. I really need help!

Many thanks in advance!!!

If your goal is to practice a bit before you have the opportunity to take a course, then I recommend getting a training hand. You can get good ones online for just £25 or so. :)
Right now there are a lot of things you're potentially doing wrong, it could be anything, and you haven't uploaded photos of your work from various angles to see if there's any obvious flaws. You don't mention it you sculpt or use tips? When you say "filing down the nail", do you mean the free edge or the top layers of the nail? If it's the latter, they should not be "filed down", just buffed. What grit do you use for buffing the nail? Etc. If you could write down a step by step of your prep and application, with photos of the result, then it would be much easier to help.

Because you intend to pursue this seriously and make money from this job, I can't stress this enough; it's important to do training to gain a relevant qualification so you can safely practice on customers and acquire insurance without any risk, so I'd suggest saving up for a course as a priority. You then also get access to all the professional brands on the market. You shouldn't be charging people money without training, some countries will have laws against this, not to mention you could be inadvertently causing damage to their nails. Practicing application on a training hand before your course is all well and good, but you also run the risk of learning incorrectly, which becomes hard to unlearn later. But it's a lot of fun of course, so I do encourage you to buy a training hand to practice certain things on. What you also could be using this time on, is learning about nail anatomy and contraindications. Simply knowing a couple of words like onycholysis and pseudomona won't be anywhere near sufficient if you want to practice on people, as it's very important to have the theoretical knowledge beforehand. If you read some books on this, for example Gigi Rouse Nail class, or Doug Schoon publications, or perhaps NailHub videos on youtube and many more, then you would be equipped with important knowledge for when you eventually do take a course, and eventually practice on people safely. Good luck!
:)

The 36W of the UV lamp is only the amount of electricity used. When a supplier tells you that any 36W UV lamp is OK, that is a gold plated indication that they don't understand what they are selling. Find an educated supplier.

OP, you won’t be able to obtain insurance to work on the public without completing an accredited course.

The 36W of the UV lamp is only the amount of electricity used. When a supplier tells you that any 36W UV lamp is OK, that is a gold plated indication that they don't understand what they are selling. Find an educated supplier.

That’s absolutely true, but an educated supplier won’t sell to the untrained public so the OP isn’t going to get anywhere until she completes a recognised course such as a VRQ or one taught by one of the bigger Nail product companies.

Latest posts

Back