Gel nails, lifting, coarse nail file?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzy_SLW

Reaction score
I trained as a technician when I was a teenager, and we used IBD gel. My nails would lift within a day or 2.

Fast forward many years later, and using gel polish, CND , Candy Coat and BlueSky lift on me.
So I decided to use CND bridal Lite, which lifted, then used CND sculpting builder gel - again, lifted.

I went to a salon last Xmas to have my nails done. The technician did exactly the prep that I do, and the next day, my nails lifted.
She used the Canadian brand that I’ve seen posted on SalonGeek before, but I’ve forgotten the name. She also used that acid primer.

So I decided to buy CND version of the acid primer, then applied the sculpting gel. They lifted the next day. And please note, I do cap the free edge.

2 weeks ago, I decided to use a coarse grit file on my nails to scratch over the nail plate (rather than using the light grit buffing block). I then applied an Essie gel polish - My nails didn’t lift for the whole 2 weeks. And I removed them due to regrowth and colour change.

This last week, I used a coarse file on my nails again, then used a new Cuccio gel polish. So far they haven’t lifted.

So I’m tempted to try CND builder gel again.

Long story short.... has anyone else experienced this problem? That a light bugging block won’t do, and a coarse grit is needed?

Thank you for reading/helping!

Interesting! Maybe this will help with a problem client. Thanks for posting

Yes! - the buffing block smooths the nail plate which you don't want!

A 180 or a 100 file would etch the nail plate enough to give something for the gels to 'hang' onto but not to be so rough you damage the nail plate. A light circular motion with the file should etch enough.

Yes. If you are buffing the nail with a fine grit, despite good intentions to preserve the natural nail, you might end up buffing it smoother, which means you're actually helping the enhancements lift and more easily rip off. In the end, that damages the natural nail more than some light etching with a 180 grit would do. I was trained to etch super lightly with 240 grit but had issues with lifting. I then swapped to 180 grit (still light on the touch) and saw massive improvements.

Great! Thank you all so much for your replies! I’m going to stick to a more coarse file!! Xxx

I have been having the same issue, not with clients just myself

this has given me some hope! thank u so much for your post its nice whe people post solutions to their problems to help others with difficulty.

this has given me some hope! thank u so much for your post its nice whe people post solutions to their problems to help others with difficulty.
Have you tried and tested yet? X

Latest posts

Back