Gel nails more hassle than they're worth..calling it a day, I think.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your biggest problem, I think, is your own insecurity about clients complaining .... I have news for you. :hug: clients complain .... Clients break nails and clients complain about it.. No matter how great your nails are.

If Jen says your nails are excellent, then they are ... Nothing however is indestructible once the client goes out the door.

I think your biggest issue is in dealing well with the clients complaints and in getting your head around thinking that everything is your fault. Client's will sense your insecurities and hone in on it knowing they will get a freebe out of you.

When you start showing confidence in your work, the complaints WILL STOP. I PROMISE YOU. I believe from reading your post, that showing confidence is your problem and not necessarily your nails. I think it is your issue not a nail issue.

Go see Jeni and she will tell you whether or not this is the case, when she sees your work. Good luck ... I'd give it one last shot.

Thank you! 😊

Was in two minds this morning...

All I wanted to do when I qualified from college was gels... I have worked really hard and yes my confidence has been knocked a lot (I just want a full set to stay on for 3 weeks)

The last set I done was Friday but she hasn't complained, I just see on facebook that she broke one on Monday at work (might not be my work?) but I automatically think its my work!
The tips brake off... But I really concentrate on my apex when I'm doing them.

I will give jen a call and give it one more shot 😊

Thank you! ��

Was in two minds this morning...

All I wanted to do when I qualified from college was gels... I have worked really hard and yes my confidence has been knocked a lot (I just want a full set to stay on for 3 weeks)

The last set I done was Friday but she hasn't complained, I just see on facebook that she broke one on Monday at work (might not be my work?) but I automatically think its my work!
The tips brake off... But I really concentrate on my apex when I'm doing them.

I will give jen a call and give it one more shot ��

Good Lass ... She's waiting for you :hug:

People break nails my dear! Nails don't break because of you but because they have been hit, banged, caught, trapped, whacked, used inappropriately, are too long etc .... There are a hundered ways too break a nail. Breakages are not caused by YOU.
I'm telling you, this is a confidence issue and you need to have what you are going to say, READY on a list by your phone just in case ... You and Jen need to work on that!

Phone rings
Client ... Hi, one of my nails broke at work!
You ..(always keeping a smile in your voice). Oops ... What caused tha?.
Client .. Um .. I was doing some filing and caught it. OR ... Nothing it just fell off.
You .. Oh dear, well I can fit you in on. ....... For a new nail.
Client ... How much will that be?
You ... We charge 5.00 for a new nail
Client .. That seems allot
You ... That is our charge for all nail repairs.
Client ... OK
Bravo you have WON

If you are matter of fact ... To the Point ... Up front ... Do not add excuses or elaborate .. Just say it like it is ... You won't get hasseled. If you dither around, say you are sorry, offer to re-do for free .. Act like its your responsibility instead of theirs ....... Then they win and you loose.

Last edited:
Good Lass ... She's waiting for you :hug:

People break nails my dear! Nails don't break because of you but because they have been hit, banged, caught, trapped, whacked, used inappropriately, are too long etc .... There are a hundered ways too break a nail. Breakages are not caused by YOU.
I'm telling you, this is a confidence issue and you need to have what you are going to say, READY on a list by your phone just in case ... You and Jen need to work on that!

Phone rings
Client ... Hi, one of my nails broke at work!
You ..(always keeping a smile in your voice). Oops ... What caused tha?.
Client .. Um .. I was doing some filing and caught it. OR ... Nothing it just fell off.
You .. Oh dear, well I can fit you in on. ....... For a new nail.
Client ... How much will that be?
You ... We charge 5.00 for a new nail
Client .. That seems allot
You ... That is our charge for all nail repairs.
Client ... OK
Bravo you have WON

If you are matter of fact ... To the Point ... Up front ... Do not add excuses or elaborate .. Just say it like it is ... You won't get hasseled. If you dither around, say you are sorry, offer to re-do for free .. Act like its your responsibility instead of theirs ....... Then they win and you loose.

Thank you... This is a problem too.
Jen said to me before that "people" are taking the p*** out of me, so I definitely need to work on it! (it's not like me) I normally say what I think 😊 and to the point... Maybe I've lost confidence in that area too??
Good idea to have ready what I'm gonna say before the phone rings..
Starting to feel positive about it 😁
I'm now thinking maybe I'm doing them too long and that's the problem??

Thank you... This is a problem too.
Jen said to me before that "people" are taking the p*** out of me, so I definitely need to work on it! (it's not like me) I normally say what I think 😊 and to the point... Maybe I've lost confidence in that area too??
Good idea to have ready what I'm gonna say before the phone rings..
Starting to feel positive about it 😁
I'm now thinking maybe I'm doing them too long and that's the problem??

It could be a contributing factor as nails that are too long get in the way and get broken. You do have to factor in the growth in 3 weeks and make sure that in that time, the nails will not be overly long But maybe the client wanted them long? All this should be discussed during the client consultation and be decided and agreed upon at that time. I hope you are doing that and making a note of the client's preference and lifestyle.

Getting the right results for individuals is an on-going process for a few appointments as you both work together towards the right prescription for each person. It's no different in the hair industry.

Latest posts

Back