Gel nails more hassle than they're worth..calling it a day, I think.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peartree

Reaction score
I know your all gonna shoot me but this is how I feel about them!

I've been qualified for 2 years now and still can't get the hang of it...
I done a course (which wasn't good training) and then a covert course with cnd (which was really good) plus extra 1-2-1 training and lots practice...

Every time a do a set I just wait for a text or phone call saying they have broke one 😔
Normally nothing gets the better of me but this certainly has!!

Its just come to the point where i feel I've spent a lot of time and money on them (which I don't wanna do anymore) and not getting anywhere 😔
Just think I'm not cut out for it so think its time to call it a day 😔 and concentrate on what I have got flair for..

Sorry for sad post but just wanted to get it off my chest
Thanks for reading x

Why would anyone want to shoot you?

If you have decided it is not for you then you are the person best placed to make that decision.

You have had some of the best training available if you trained with CND and also had 1-2-1 with them.

Good luck with whatever it is that you are good at.

Jacqui xx

Sorry you are feeling this way hun, if you dont have the love for it then you are best to cut it out of your menu of treatments. Maybe just quietly practice and practice on your training hand until you feel that it is up to your expectations? I know gels can be a little fragile but it is a shame you want to turn your back on them completely. If you still practice without the pressure of customers complaining then you might just break that barrier. I know when I am with a client I could spend hours perfecting and tweaking if i dont keep an eye on the time and when I leave I worry that they will disintegrate or the customer will notice a bump or dip or they will all break or all ping off but sometimes our insecurities make things so much more scary than they actually are.

Dont give up on them completely, you might find that the lack of pressure makes them quite enjoyable. I used to be terrified of L&P and preferred Gel, now it is half half

Good luck and let us know how you get on

sorry to hear that hun.....i was wondering if this was a call for help rather than wanting to give up???

what systems are you using? and what training have you had??what exactly is the problem??is it overlays or tip and overlay???

I was having the same thoughts until i came across bio sculpture and met a friendly nai ltech who helped me also and then everything just seemed to click!!! if i can help you in anyway feel free to message me!xxx

I hear ya....

it's very frustrating and demoralising when you cannot master gels.

i have made several attempts over the years.

client complaints = less confidence = dreading the thoughts of doing them.

it's a vicious circle.

have a break from them but don't say never again.

you may come back to them at a later stage and the whole thing will fall into place for you.

that's what happened to me any way...

Claire, hun if you can get a client to have gels and come and do them at the academy I can see where you are going wrong.
I know we have done 1-2-1 training but I think you may benefit from me actually being there when you are working on a client rather than on a model.
Give me a ring and we can try and sort something out. You did a fab job in your application in both the conversion class and the 1-2-1 session so I don't understand where all the problems are coming from.
That is why I would like you to arrange for a client and yourself to come over to do a full set so that I can see whats is happening.
Don't give up you can do it!

Jen xx

Sorry to hear this, i was feeling a bit liike this myself last week, i thought i was doing ok (only doing a couple now and again) and last two clients had a light colour which was a nightmare! I was holding back tears yesterday as could not believe ive done such a bad job!!!
I wont give up as its my passion i need more practice as not been doing it to long but by the sounds of it yr great at what you do, Are you not just having a bad run? being to hard on yourself?
Only you can decide what you want to do but if you go and see your trainer as she has said she can help you before you decide completly.
X X X

Claire, hun if you can get a client to have gels and come and do them at the academy I can see where you are going wrong.
I know we have done 1-2-1 training but I think you may benefit from me actually being there when you are working on a client rather than on a model.
Give me a ring and we can try and sort something out. You did a fab job in your application in both the conversion class and the 1-2-1 session so I don't understand where all the problems are coming from.
That is why I would like you to arrange for a client and yourself to come over to do a full set so that I can see whats is happening.

Jen xx

Give it a go before you give up, you obviously care about it and don't want to give up to put it on here. Good luck xx

Jen xx

I would definitely take up an offer like this! Its worth letting someone see if your going wrong somewhere, and if after that your still not happy doing gels then like has been said - take a break from it, you might just need to take the pressure off yourself. Good luck xxx

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

Wow what lovely words everyone has said thank you! 😌

I've had my husband, sister and good friend tell me not to give up too but I feel so disheartened about them...

I have worked really hard for this....
So I guess I'll be sleeping on it now 💤

Jen xx

Thank you Jen.... It means a lot 😪

It's an offer you should take up before making your mind up for definite, like you said, sleep on it. But it sounds as though you are good at it and perhaps need a little confidence boost xx

I hear ya....

it's very frustrating and demoralising when you cannot master gels.

i have made several attempts over the years.

client complaints = less confidence = dreading the thoughts of doing them.

it's a vicious circle.

have a break from them but don't say never again.

you may come back to them at a later stage and the whole thing will fall into place for you.

that's what happened to me any way...

So true... Its nice to see I'm not the only one that feels or has felt like this 😁
Thank you!

I would take that chance and go to the academy, I feel like deep down you don't want to give up so don't :) give it another go and let us no how you get on, all the best 💅x x x ps remember others feel like this sometimes too x x

I feel your pain! I've been doing nails for 17 years and when I did my first set of gels I was discouraged when the client called and complained. I was a l&p girl and wanted to broaden my service menu. I didn't have a whole lot of training on acrylics, gels, etc because I got my cosmetology license, which focuses on hair more than anything. I basically learned l&p by practicing on myself. This is also how I finally mastered gels. Let me tell ya, my right hand was pretty ugly looking for quite some time, (I'm right handed). I am my best critic, if I can't make it look great on me, then I need more practice. Don't give up yet, practice makes perfect!

I feel the same about acrylic :(
I have decided to take a little step back and only do sets on people who have had my nails previously.
I am definatly really hard on myself but one client comment makes my confidence plummet.
I would Definatly go to the academy if i was you.
Good luck in whatever you decide :)

Your biggest problem, I think, is your own insecurity about clients complaining .... I have news for you. :hug: clients complain .... Clients break nails and clients complain about it.. No matter how great your nails are.

If Jen says your nails are excellent, then they are ... Nothing however is indestructible once the client goes out the door.

I think your biggest issue is in dealing well with the clients complaints and in getting your head around thinking that everything is your fault. Client's will sense your insecurities and hone in on it knowing they will get a freebe out of you.

When you start showing confidence in your work, the complaints WILL STOP. I PROMISE YOU. I believe from reading your post, that showing confidence is your problem and not necessarily your nails. I think it is your issue not a nail issue.

Go see Jeni and she will tell you whether or not this is the case, when she sees your work. Good luck ... I'd give it one last shot.

Last edited:
I feel the same about acrylic :(
I have decided to take a little step back and only do sets on people who have had my nails previously.
I am definatly really hard on myself but one client comment makes my confidence plummet.
I would Definatly go to the academy if i was you.
Good luck in whatever you decide :)

I feel the same way about acrylics too, been trying to master them for a couple of years but whilst I can do a set that looks good, I get a mixed bag of reviews once I leave a clients home so it's knocked me massively.

For the amount of time it takes, plus the hassle of having to deal with either a complaint or the knock my confidence takes when I don't get a lot of repeat business from acrylics, I think it's time for me to also take a step back and concentrate on my core business, which is mainly natural nails and Shellac.

Good luck to the original poster too. :hug:

I feel the same way about acrylics too, been trying to master them for a couple of years but whilst I can do a set that looks good, I get a mixed bag of reviews once I leave a clients home so it's knocked me massively.

For the amount of time it takes, plus the hassle of having to deal with either a complaint or the knock my confidence takes when I don't get a lot of repeat business from acrylics, I think it's time for me to also take a step back and concentrate on my core business, which is mainly natural nails and Shellac.

Good luck to the original poster too. :hug:

Taking a step away is not the way to go forward.

Taking a step towards the fulfilment of your ambition is the way forward.

Taking a step away is not the way to go forward.

Taking a step towards the fulfilment of your ambition is the way forward.

Geeg, you are right but I've also done 1 to 1's with Julia at Creative in Leigh, I think the problem I face is just not having enough practice, I hardly get requests for acrylic anymore - it's mainly Shellac (which is GREAT! lol).

I'm currently doing more practice work on my friend who is also a fellow nail tech but I feel I'm cheating people if my nails aren't up to scratch. It doesn't help when I'm so hard on myself either. :/

With hindsight, I should have possibly tried to get straight into a salon for the experience straight after college but for both personal reasons and also the fact that most salons want prior experience that didn't happen.

Latest posts

Back