Gel nails newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurarossiter

Reaction score
I'm very new so please bare with me!

I completed a Gel nail course yesterday as I'm currently on maternity leave and really hoping to start my own little mobile nail business.

I've come home and started to look around for the right kit, brands to use etc and I'm completely overwhelmed :( I have a lot of questions so if anyone is able to help that would be amazing

- Which Gel polish would you recommend? I've looked at Gelish, IBD and OPI but don't know which is best recommended.

- Which wholesaler should I use? There are so many online

- does my UV lamp need to be specific to the brand of gel I choose?

- are there any 'starter kit' type things I can buy, or samples of gel polish I can get so as not to buy a load and end up not liking the brand?

- which brand of building gel is best? Is there a difference between building gel and hard gel? Or anything else?

I feel completely clueless :(

Thank you x

If you have a search of all the brands you will find loads and loads and loads of threads highlighting the good and bad points of each! Hours worth of reading :)
Always use the authorised sellers, don't be tempted by cheaper sellers!
It's always best to the the full system of whatever you choose, the only way you can be sure the polish is cured correctly!
Most brands do starter kits to let you have a play about with, personally I bought a few starter kits with just a generic UV lamp until I found a brand I loved then got the lamp for the system!
Clueless about builder/hard gels I'm afraid [emoji4]

Hope this helps & good luck!

Thank you, will have a good read through! And that's a good idea getting a generic UV lamp while I'm still finding what works for me x

Unsure about other brands but with Gelish there is a difference between the "Gelish Hard Gel" and the "Gelish Structure Gel".

The hard gel is just that, harder and therefore meant for extensions. Whereas the Structure Gel is meant for repairing nails or overlays on natural nails for a bit more strength. (You can extend with it but only marginally and it won't last as long.)

As I said, I'm unsure about other brands but hope this helps your decision in some small way :)

I personally use OPI. There are starter kits kinda I saw one supplier (don't know if your in the us) has a deal with the OPI studio LED light and a certain amount of colors for one price.

I believe OPI has a hard gel. And they have axxium soak off too. I use entity1 for that. Otherwise all my gel polish is OPI.

A hard gel is for extensions I believe a structure is used on top of natural nail to strengthen.

Let me know if you have other questions

Latest posts

Back