Gel Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachel1

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why, when applying a finishing gel over glitter and curing the finish gel would crack?

Which gel brand are you using?

Are you applying it too thinly?

More info is needed to be able to help more Rachel x

Sandi
Thankyou for reply. I am using Young Nails Finish Gel. I am using it for glitter toes. I apply the base gel, add glitter, cure, add finish gel, cure and then add another coat of finish and cure. Just recently the finish gel has cracked causing the glitter to peel when you pick.

Is it therefore better to apply the base and the finish quite thickly?

Just recently the finish gel has cracked causing the glitter to peel when you pick.
I don't use Youngs Gel, I use Brisa gel, similar as they're both buff off gels....

why would you 'pick' it?

I don't pick it !!! The client did because of the crack.

Think so. Is it better to apply base and finish quite thick?? What happens if it is too thick??

How quickly after you applied it did it crack?

hiya I use Youngs gel

I use Base first then if using glitter i mix the glitter in with flex (builder)
then i would put a clear flex coating on, then shape and then apply a thin coat of finish gel

I think its cracking because your using finish gel as part of your builder process you need to apply Flex not finish, You apply finish when you are happy and ready to gloss hth

Think so. Is it better to apply base and finish quite thick?? What happens if it is too thick??
If the base layer is similar to Brisa then it's worked in to the nail, then apply your glitter, then apply the top gloss in a similar way to a generous application of top coat enamel, that way it doesn't shrink too much and should leave the nail flawless.

Not sure how quickly after. Client noticed it next day.

Hey hun,
Finish is designed to finish off a service.
It does not provide any depth so therefore would not be strong enough to use on its own, as you have experianced it would crack when the natural nail moves.

Here is my way!!!!!x

Prep the natural nail and apply primer
Apply base gel
Sprinkle required glitter onto the unset base gel and cure under UV
Swipe
Apply flex build or glossser and cure under UV
File toes into shape including the surface (otherwise the glitter can be rough to the touch)
Apply finish to give that glitter and shine of perfection !!!

You can purchase a sample kit fron young nails that contains everything you need including snow white to do french gel toes. I use these sample pots in the salon as i get glitter in all the pots and wld not want to then risk using them on clients for french!

hth lv jo x

hiya I use Youngs gel

I use Base first then if using glitter i mix the glitter in with flex (builder)
then i would put a clear flex coating on, then shape and then apply a thin coat of finish gel

I think its cracking because your using finish gel as part of your builder process you need to apply Flex not finish, You apply finish when you are happy and ready to gloss hth

Hey hun,
It does not provide any depth so therefore would not be strong enough to use on its own, as you have experianced it would crack when the natural nail moves.

Here is my way!!!!!x

Apply base gel
Swipe
File toes into shape including the surface (otherwise the glitter can be rough to the touch)

You can purchase a sample kit fron young nails that contains everything you need including snow white to do french gel toes. I use these sample pots in the salon as i get glitter in all the pots and wld not want to then risk using them on clients for french!

hth lv jo x
So you girls would recommend building when it's just for toes?

Hi Jo/Blackjack I'm with you all the way girl

(pls give a wee mate a call soon)

Hello,

This is a new conceot for me. What gel are you using. I have always been an acrulic tech although I do have gel. A friend/client told me about glitter toes today and I would love some intruction. Anyone willing to help me can mail here or directly at [email protected] I'm new to this site and not exactly sure how it works. Thank you in advance!' :eek:

Hey hun,

Here is my way!!!!!x

Apply base gel
Swipe

hth lv jo x

As an alternative, you may want to look into a more flexible gel like a soak off gel that you can apply thin without worrying about cracking. I used to use Brisa and Akzentz traditional buff off gel, and I've also used YN, but I did occasionally run into problems/damage from clients who wear closed toe shoes, especially the pointy ones. Also, runners had some trauma to the nail from the toenail growing and pushing against the shoe without flexing.

With a more flexible gel, you can keep your application thin without cracking, and if the client feels their toenails are getting too long they can trim them with a toenail clipper without any cracking. Its also a bonus that it soaks right off, so much easier than trying to file those little toes.

As an alternative, you may want to look into a more flexible gel like a soak off gel that you can apply thin without worrying about cracking. I used to use Brisa and Akzentz traditional buff off gel, and I've also used YN, but I did occasionally run into problems/damage from clients who wear closed toe shoes, especially the pointy ones. Also, runners had some trauma to the nail from the toenail growing and pushing against the shoe without flexing.

With a more flexible gel, you can keep your application thin without cracking, and if the client feels their toenails are getting too long they can trim them with a toenail clipper without any cracking. Its also a bonus that it soaks right off, so much easier than trying to file those little toes.

i also prefer a soak off gel for toes, its flexibility really comes into its own on feet. i use lechat nobility soak off gel, i currently have on regal red as the base, sprinkled with a flourescent pink glitter and coated in clear, this combination has resulted in a gorgeous fuchsia/magenta sparkling colour which i love. experiment with coloured base gels, it really intensifies your glitter colours.

Sandi
Thankyou for reply. I am using Young Nails Finish Gel. I am using it for glitter toes. I apply the base gel, add glitter, cure, add finish gel, cure and then add another coat of finish and cure. Just recently the finish gel has cracked causing the glitter to peel when you pick.

Hi Rachel

If you go to the Young nails web site you will find a step be step guide to twinkle toes.

It sounds as though you are missing a step..... After I have cured the base I usually put a coat of either flex or build cure again then I use my finish gel.

Young Nails - Throughout England and the UK

Hey hun,

Here is my way!!!!!x

Apply base gel
Swipe

hth lv jo x

Thank you my darling Jo Jo

I never noticed youe lovely wee comments there:hug:

Latest posts

Back