GEL nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather111

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they do as many Gel nails as they do L&P? I'd love to be able to offer an alternative to L&P but my friends friend(!) has her own salon and says that absolutely NOBODY has the gel nails (NSI Balance) as they find it too flexible and soft on the nails. I was thinking of Brisa, is there much difference between this and NSI? Don't want to be wasting my money on training/products if no one has them done!

Well i use Calgel and literally haven't done a single set of UV Gel or L&P nails for at least 3-4 months... Calgel is all anyone in my area seems to want!

Mind you, it might have something to do with the fact that there is an NSS asian nail bar around the corner ruining everyones nails! :confused:

We do 99.9% gel nails in the salon and our clients love it.
Thanks to NSS salons, we`re converting people every week from Acrylic to gel. As for it being too flexible, I recommend it to my clients for that reason

me too Debs - I love gel, don't do l&p anymore at all. Much prefer it, and when my new clients switch to gel, they are hooked to. It feels a lot lighter on the nail because it flexes with it not against it, so less lifting too. Less risk of bacterial infections because non soak-off gels are non-porous. I think like most things it comes down to using a good quality product, with good training. There are good and bad gels and l&p, and good and bad trainers. I guess it's one of those debates that rattle on - everyone has their faves, and passes that onto the client, so it becomes their fave too. If you get a non porous gel then this is great for clients who have their hands in water a lot, or going on hols and doing a lot of swimming etc. - so you could maybe do these clients with gel, makes you sound more knowledgeable and offer more than other salons up the roadI'm one of the few people in my area who offer gel, and people always ask for acrylic (but gel is acrylic) so just state what the benefits of gel are. It's then up to them if they want to try it - and most do. Don't know if this has helped or confused you more - you just need to educate the client about the benefits of each system and what is right for them.

So is Brisa the same then as the other gels ie Calgel/Bio Sculpture etc. I definately want to do a gel course but which one?? Does anyone have any pros/cons with any gels???

Sorry Heather, can only give advice about LCN. If you want to look at gel as an alternative then go for a non soak off gel. The only thing I could say which may help was if I ever fell out with LCN (which I hope never happens) and had to choose another brand, I'd go to Brisa. tried it at Karren's house, beautiful to apply, good durability (K practiced a set on me), non porous, good clear gel (ie not cloudy like some of them). But me - I'm an LCN girl through and through!!

Heather, I've just changed to IBD and am really pleased with the results so far. I dont think its non porous though as they recommend soaking to remove. I've tried file off gel before and couldnt get on with it.
HTH

Heather111 said:
So is Brisa the same then as the other gels ie Calgel/Bio Sculpture etc. I definately want to do a gel course but which one?? Does anyone have any pros/cons with any gels???
Brisa is absolutely different from other gels in its chemical make up, also the way it looks (beautiful) and it is strong.
If you look on the premium geeks tutorials and articles, you will see 2 pages of questions and answers about Brisa Gels.
CND are still offering the lamp for free at the moment as well which is a big saving.

I think that all gels can look 'beautiful' its not unique to Brisa.

I do mostly L&P. I only occasionally do gels. Gels are becoming increasingly popular here in Australia and I think it's good to offer your clients alternatives and options that are more suited to their lifestyle etc.
As a side note: I'll be trying out Brisa Gels soon. I got a pamphlet in the mail a week or so ago, so I'll be checking out that product when I get the chance. I'm looking forward to it.

emmad said:
Heather, I've just changed to IBD and am really pleased with the results so far. I dont think its non porous though as they recommend soaking to remove. I've tried file off gel before and couldnt get on with it.
HTH
I have never had success soaking off IBD so always buffed it off. I`ve also never had any problems with it being porous. I found it durable and long lasting and would highly recommend it.
I did start having problems with it around the time Brisa was being launched so I couldn`t wait to get my hands on it and am happy that I`ve switched, but its like everything else, you need to find out why you`re having problems. Mine was the bulbs on the lamp needed replacing and that was something that had never come up during any training I`d ever had. I now only use IBD when I`m doing coloured gel, or on toes because the lamp is great to put 2 feet into with a flip lid so they don`t catch they`re nails on it.

Heather111 said:
Can anyone tell me if they do as many Gel nails as they do L&P? I'd love to be able to offer an alternative to L&P but my friends friend(!) has her own salon and says that absolutely NOBODY has the gel nails (NSI Balance) as they find it too flexible and soft on the nails. I was thinking of Brisa, is there much difference between this and NSI? Don't want to be wasting my money on training/products if no one has them done!
Heather, I think the best way is to try them yourself....oh you are on the 14th..lol...

I dont think it is ever wasting money investing in a new system, plus the more you wear them the more interest they will create....

I hadn't forgot Louise I will be there! Can't wait to try them, that will definately make my mind up I suppose. Just puts you off a bit when you hear people say 'don't bother...it will be a waste of money'!!

Thanks everyone for the replies..

Hi Guys, i love Gel and use NSI Balance Gel and much prefer it too acrylic only one of my clients has acrylic and that is a friend of mine otherwise its gel as Debs said its flexible and that is a good thing but do try it and see what your clients think x xx

Yes, definately will try it. I know I need to offer an alternative to L&P so will more than likely go with the Gel.

Thanks guys!

janeburrows said:
I think that all gels can look 'beautiful' its not unique to Brisa.
You are entitled to your opinion but I have used many gels over many years and,

I certainly do not agree that all gels look beautiful. Some look distinctly like (sorry) snotty nose and yellow and fade big time with age .

The beauty of Brisa is quite outstanding with now 3 wins in competiton (in the UK) to attest to the fact. Oh ... not to mention the win at the NailOlympics in Las Vegas. The Pink is just stunning and the white is the whitest I personally have ever seen.

geeg said:
You are entitled to your opinion
There's always a 'but' after a statement like that. And yes there was.
It's the same as saying 'with all due respect' before telling someone what you think. Well I think it's rather rude.
Just 'my opinion'.

I use L&P, did the Brisa training, but find I only use my Brisa Gel on Toes for permanent french..... However, this has created enough business in itself to pay for the products and training purchased...

I can never be converted from L&P, but it is good to offer whatever the client wants! I have created more business in my salon because I can offer both treatments at the same price, even though 99% of the time I actually do L&P nails!
I would definately recommend you go ahead and get gel!
Sue

I do 99% gel nails. My clients prefer gels. As for me (if I would do on myself) it makes no difference whether to have gel or acrylic. I like both.

janeburrows said:
There's always a 'but' after a statement like that. And yes there was.
It's the same as saying 'with all due respect' before telling someone what you think. Well I think it's rather rude.
Just 'my opinion'.
Sorry BUT I do not agree with that statement either.

I was not being rude just putting forward a reaonable argument, whilst acknowledging that you have your opinion and I have mine and I would wager a guess that my experience with many different gels is far more than yours BUT correct me if I am wrong.

Neither do I think that saying with all due respect is rude either, but quite the reverse, ¡mplying that altho one respects one's opinion, based on my experience I have an alternative opinion to offer with the proof to back it up which is not opinion but fact.

Latest posts

Back