Gel not curing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbleclock

Reaction score
Hi peeps,
i have searched this site endlessly but cant seem to find a similar problem that i am having curing my gel nails.
I have just completed my (short)nail tech training course and have no idea what i am doing wrong.

I use NSI gel, prep the nail correctly im sure, buffing, cleansing, dehydrating and using primer on natural nail,

I do one layer of clear builder gel, then cure for 2mins
then i do another layer, attempting to build an apex etc, then cure 2mins
at this stage, it looks the right thickness, apex and all,
then i cleanse, and so much gel wipes away that i am left with only a thin layer of gel, no apex and i think a lot of shrinkage, although i cap the ends. It is smooth as anything, no bumps. if there were there wouldnt be enough gel to file them off.

when i did it on my training course, i am sure a lot less gel (dispersion layer) came off when i cleansed.

I have tried doing
extra layers
freeze curing
longer curing
shorter curing
extra capping
tips/no tips

whatever gel i have left on the nail just lifts easily, sometimes it is hard, sometimes i could actually peel it off the tip. im such a perfectionist about my prep as i know how important it is, so i dont think i can put it down to that.

I also went over it with glaze and go, and this didnt seem to go how i practiced either, it didnt feel how it did on the training course, still felt the tiniest bit tacky, but i might have been being overcritical after all the problems before it!

please help i cant think of anything else to try :)

Claire

Swetheart it is not the gel it is what is curing it. The UV Lamp.

Is it the right lamp for your system. Are the bulbs new? Is the inside of the lamp clean? If gel is not curing it is not your prep, not your application it is the Lamp.

its a new lamp, and it is clean, but no its not the one that goes with the system. i thought it would be okay because another girl from my course, although she is using a different gel product to me, is using an own brand lamp from a stockist and doesnt seem to be having problems x

Well it is not curing your gel because it is not the right lamp for your system. End of story.

Every intelligent person on this site has written only to use the lamp that is compatible with your SYSTEM. You aren't. BIG mistake .. big one. And expensive. Listen to the experts not your 'friends'.
You can't always 'see' problems .. they come later. Is your friend an expert? Maybe she is using a crappy generic gel with her lamp. You are using a branded product with a lamp that goes with that system. You will have to buy one or you will always have problems.

you said , it was a short course,but your teacher should have explained about using the right light for the right system to you ,
Don't worry though most of us have been there with the not so good classes, then gone on to do better ones :)
Your lucky that was the worst of it , over repeat contact with un cured U.V gel you could have given your self (or someone else) an allergy !
Or at least a nasty heat spike! :eek:

Like Gigi said Invest in a good light that goes with the brand you use,, try not to cut corners even if they look tempting as you will quite often end up having to pay twice to get the right thing after .

refunding my lamp and buying the nsi one as i type. thanks girls x

Ditto it has to be the lamp or to be exact bulb wattage.

Ditto it has to be the lamp or to be exact bulb wattage.

Teresa for guaranteed complete cure (of CND for instance) it has to be the CND lamp ... nothing to do with wattage. Wattage does not cure gel .. UV output from the bulbs cures gel and the CND bulbs are more powerful in UV output than the bulbs in other lamps.

Placement of the bulbs in the lamp is also important for full cure and for instance, the CND lamps have the bulbs placed quite differently than other lamps to (1) ensure a 5 finger cure and (2) to be able to accommodate feet for complete cure.

Use the right lamp for the system you are using.

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong as im sure you will peeps but dont led uv bulbs have a higher uv out put also have spoke with a few product manufactures who say there gel needs to be cured with low uv output or you dont get the adhesion clarity or the gel can crack if over cured so i agree people who spend time researching products and developing them know there science and where a chemical reaction is required to make a make a POLYMER CURE whether it be l&p or premixed with a uv inhibeter trust the experts and follow there INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE not rocket science just nails but testing and research play a big role

CND? dumb maybe but whats that mean x

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry .. in referring to systems, as CND is the one I use (Creative Nail Design), I was explaining why it is important to use the right lamp for the system you are using. If you are using NSI you should buy the NSI lamp.

k thanks :) cant wait for it to arrive so i can get it right this time :)

Latest posts

Back