gel not lasting on natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMOUSE

Reaction score
hi everyone

I don't use gel that often (NSI) but when i do i have done using tips and overlay and had no problem with it, but when it comes to doing natural overlay (withtips) the gel peels off after about a week. I have the same problem with nail varnish it will stay on nail enhancments but not on natural nail beds what am i doing wrong.

I do a dry manicure and use a good base coat on the nail bed then varnish (creative) and a top coat

with nno i do the same as i would if i was using a tip.

So the gel stays on the natural nail when doing tip and overlay but not when you do a natural nail overlay ???...odd, as i am sure the same prep is applied. where is the lifting starting from ...?? and whats your prep meathods. x

the client said it just peeled off all the nails in one go. I did seal the tips but she does alot of typing and she types with her nails would this cause the peeling?

i wouldnt have thought so...what gel are you using..??

i am using NSI gel and i have checked my lamp that's ok

Hi there

I use IBD gel and have been for a few years, but i know where your coming from i find that a lot of my clients if they have gel on natural nail it does not last as it would tip and overlay, the only way it lasts is when they have had extensions on and they let the tip grow off and leave the gel on that way, do you get what i mean, rather then do soak off and gel overlay i just keep infillin then eventually the clients is left with there own nail overlayed with gel, it does not chip or peel but does if it is just done on natural nail.

Hayley x

Hi there

I use IBD gel and have been for a few years, but i know where your coming from i find that a lot of my clients if they have gel on natural nail it does not last as it would tip and overlay, the only way it lasts is when they have had extensions on and they let the tip grow off and leave the gel on that way, do you get what i mean, rather then do soak off and gel overlay i just keep infillin then eventually the clients is left with there own nail overlayed with gel, it does not chip or peel but does if it is just done on natural nail.

Hayley x

i'm glad it's not just me that i happens to have you ever solved the problem?

well it doesnt happen to all clients but i just put it down to every client is different with there jobs etc... and it either works for some and not for others so then try another type of overlay as gel is not working for them.

x

Hi everyone, this is my first reply, so bear with me.

I have been using gel for many years now, and i no exactly what your problem is.

When overlaying natural nails you must ensure that you have capped the free edge and side walls. If this is not done the natural nails can move slightly and the gel is not as flexible, therefore it seperates, causing the gel to compltley come off in 1.

Hope this helps.

xx
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I am not a big user of the harder type gels but I recall it being suggested on here that it would be better to very slightly extend NNOs if using gel by using a form and they overall longevity should be alot better.

I dont think it has to be extended massively - perhaps only 1 mil or so but it should help make enough of a difference.

Last edited:
That is a great idea. I had the same problem with NSI & wondered what i was doing wrong. I have had a woman book a set of gel nno`s in a fortnight :cry: & i was wondering what i was gonna do, but now i know this thing about about the forms idea, i am gonna do that.
Thanks for that.
Laura.x.

i have capped the free edge and side walls and it still seems to happen on some clients, i dont know about other gels but ibd when cured under the lamp it tends to shrink back even when capped edges.

but like i say i dont do many gel overlays on natural nail, i advise my clients to let tips grow off then continue with the gel infills, the gel seems to mould round the natural nail and stay put.

x

i have capped the free edge and side walls and it still seems to happen on some clients, i dont know about other gels but ibd when cured under the lamp it tends to shrink back even when capped edges.

but like i say i dont do many gel overlays on natural nail, i advise my clients to let tips grow off then continue with the gel infills, the gel seems to mould round the natural nail and stay put.

x

Try capping by using a form to extend over the edge slightly and see shat difference that makes.

will do, the only thing is with me and forms i am rubbish at applying them i have no patience

thanks anyway will bare it in mind for next time x

will do, the only thing is with me and forms i am rubbish at applying them i have no patience

thanks anyway will bare it in mind for next time x

Perhaps this is your chance to practice them. You never know you may get to love doing em.

Latest posts

Back