Gel on 5 year old?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam-x

Reaction score
My sister and her daughter are going on holiday for 2 weeks

My sister really wants me to do gel polish nails on fingers & toes to my niece so they last

Surely she is waaaay too young she’s only coming 5 years old

Any advice?

No, definitely far too young. You won’t be covered by your insurer either.
She’s no idea how the chemicals will react on such a young person. If she suffers an allergic reaction, how will she explain that to the medics/social services?

Definitely a no
a client asked me to go acrylics on her 11 year old, she was actually shocked i said no!

Just say no! Seriously.

It is contrary to every gel brands' instructions as well as the nail manufacturer's association's guidance - http://files.nailsmag.com/Handouts/gel-manicures-pedicures.pdf. It will not be covered by your insurer. And remember that allergies created by the use of acrylates are permanent and can have implications for them later in life. In addition to the usual issues, application of gel polish to children can result in additional exposure because children have their fingers in their mouths often, exposing them to gel via ingestion. I checked with my pediatrician sister and my good friend dermatologist on this and they were both horrified at the idea of using gel polish on children.

There are lots of good alternatives, including peel off polishes, water based polishes, etc. Find an alternative.

Definite no no no!
At that age they will just peel them off anyway apart from all the insurance and allergy issues stated in the previous posts.

just paint them if you really have to please your sister...

Avon do some peel off non toxic nail varnish which is suitable for that age.
I wouldn’t even want normal nail varnish on nails that young. At some point she’s going to eat some of it and I wouldn’t be wanting that if it was my child.

Like everybody else, I am going with a resounding NO! It genuinely frightens me that people want things like that for their small children. From my experience, children a) never seem to want to sit still long enough, making application a nightmare and next to impossible anyway, and b) exposing them to more things to put in their mouths is a bad idea.

Even some of the more questionable salons in my area don't permit those under 16.

Not to mention, but you probably wouldn't be covered by your insurance.

Last edited:
As professionals we are naturally shocked that a parent would want to put gel polish on a 4 year old, but in fairness to your sister, I'm guessing she has no idea of the risks involved? If after relaying all the comments above, she is still keen, why not show her some pics of what a nail product Allergy looks like on the hands! Hopefully that would put her off and she'll opt for a nice child safe polish!

Thank you for all your responses. This was basically back up evidence for my sister if she insisted and she is hard work like that haha

But thankfully she agreed with me that she is way too young, especially when I reminded my sister how painful her nails can be when they are sensitive

No gel nails for the children

Thank you for all your responses. This was basically back up evidence for my sister if she insisted and she is hard work like that haha

But thankfully she agreed with me that she is way too young, especially when I reminded my sister how painful her nails can be when they are sensitive

No gel nails for the children

Well done! Family and friends can be the most persistent!

Latest posts

Back