Gel or acrylic extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oliiviia

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've recently started working as a nail tech (while I'm still doing a nail course) and I was wondering, what do you think is better for extending/building nails: acrylic or gel? I'm going to learn gel nails in this course, but I've heard that they are weaker and take much longer to make them. On the other hand, acrylic seems to have a really strong odor which might not be so convenient if I'm doing nails at a home or something like that.
What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance

Both, full service technican, once you've mastered those two you can invest in silk wraps and the new PolyGel/4D workable products.

For a beginner I would alwsys recommend learning L&P first, its easier to learn the structure required with it. Gel is harder to master structure with as it self levels flat and you never want flat nails

Both, full service technican, once you've mastered those two you can invest in silk wraps and the new PolyGel/4D workable products.

For a beginner I would alwsys recommend learning L&P first, its easier to learn the structure required with it. Gel is harder to master structure with as it self levels flat and you never want flat nails

Thank you very much for your answer :) Maybe after I finish this course, I will take one in acrylics and one for gel. Polygel seems lovely, I've seen a lot of videos about it, but will never be able to get my hands on the product unless I travel to another country. Where I live, imported nail goods are so expensive (a gelish mini is about $35 usd so imagine lol) and somethings are just impossible to find.
May I ask what L&P is? Sorry if is something obvious, I'm quite new to all of this

Thank you very much for your answer :) Maybe after I finish this course, I will take one in acrylics and one for gel. Polygel seems lovely, I've seen a lot of videos about it, but will never be able to get my hands on the product unless I travel to another country. Where I live, imported nail goods are so expensive (a gelish mini is about $35 usd so imagine lol) and somethings are just impossible to find.
May I ask what L&P is? Sorry if is something obvious, I'm quite new to all of this

L&p is the correct term for acrylic - Liquid & Powder - as opposed to Gel

Hi everyone! I've recently started working as a nail tech (while I'm still doing a nail course) and I was wondering, what do you think is better for extending/building nails: acrylic or gel? I'm going to learn gel nails in this course, but I've heard that they are weaker and take much longer to make them. On the other hand, acrylic seems to have a really strong odor which might not be so convenient if I'm doing nails at a home or something like that.
What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance
New to the market is DuoGel. 2 in 1. This is acrylic powder and gel in one bottle. Easy to apply straight from the bottle. Applies like most gels, so only need to do one course - gel.. As strong as acrylic but no smell, stronger than hard gel due to the acrylic powder content in the formula. It is a hard gel but new technology which soaks off. Thick enough to stay in place for quite a while whilst building the nail, but fluid enough to self level when being worked. Also can be used for tips, sculpting or natural nails under gel polish or as an overlay. No need to soak off gel polish if using DuoGel underneath as a strengthening base. File colour off, infill the DuoGel and reapply gel polish colour..

Can I get a link to the new DuoGel 2 n 1? I am interested in trying it.

New to the market is DuoGel. 2 in 1. This is acrylic powder and gel in one bottle. Easy to apply straight from the bottle. Applies like most gels, so only need to do one course - gel.. As strong as acrylic but no smell, stronger than hard gel due to the acrylic powder content in the formula. It is a hard gel but new technology which soaks off. Thick enough to stay in place for quite a while whilst building the nail, but fluid enough to self level when being worked. Also can be used for tips, sculpting or natural nails under gel polish or as an overlay. No need to soak off gel polish if using DuoGel underneath as a strengthening base. File colour off, infill the DuoGel and reapply gel polish colour..
Darn... This doesn't ship to the US?

What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance
Hard gel takes fore ever to remove (soak for about 45 mins) and even then I found it such a pain that I have switched to Acrylic! Also look at dip powder as an alternative, so easy to use (I use Kiara Sky) can be used on the natural nail or as a builder over an extension, it comes in lots of colours or your can just use natural colour and top with a Gel Polish! Its not as strong as acrylic but I find it lasts 3-4 weeks on clients who look after them properly! Xx

Hi
Please could you tell me where I can get this from. I purchased some from flexiglaze about 3 months ago but they no longer seem to have it.

Thanks x

Hi
Please could you tell me where I can get this from. I purchased some from flexiglaze about 3 months ago but they no longer seem to have it.

Thanks x

Unfortunately the poster you’ve quoted has been absent from the site for two years, so you may prefer to create a new thread of your own.

Latest posts

Back