Gel or Acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindag

Reaction score
Hello guy,

I was just wondering if you thought that gel is a bit softer than acrylic or is it just the way I am applying it, I am a L&P girl since 1999 but recently got into gel!

Is there and dos and don't when it comes to wearing a gel enhancement

HI

It depends on which type of gel you are using??

Little Angel said:
HI

It depends on which type of gel you are using??

This is so right!! It is impossible to be generic about any product anymore as they differ so widely. You simply can't say all gels are like this or that, neither can you with Wraps or L/P. I'm afraid you have to get specific.

Brisa Gel by Creative is as strong as L/P why? Because the tehnology behind it has made it possible to create a new type of gel that is like L/P but in a gel format. The formulation of Brisa is also very new and patented making this gel free from acid or gluteraldehyde (known allergens).

Fabric# (this is the name of the wrap system) is stronger than any other wrap I have ever used and I have used many many.

You really need to go to a brand you trust and get trained in it and use it.

geeg said:

Brisa Gel by Creative is as strong as L/P why? Because the tehnology behind it has made it possible to create a new type of gel that is like L/P but in a gel format. The formulation of Brisa is also very new and patented making this gel free from acid or gluteraldehyde (known allergens).

I didn't want to say what gels I am using because I thought I would get boggled with "brisa is the best" or "your crap" posts, I'm using brisa I love creative but I am not finding it as strong as L&P, I was cleaning the house and lost two, and I found some other quite 'bendy'

Please be nice ....

lindag said:
I didn't want to say what gels I am using because I thought I would get boggled with "brisa is the best" or "your crap" posts, I'm using brisa I love creative but I am not finding it as strong as L&P, I was cleaning the house and lost two, and I found some other quite 'bendy'

Please be nice ....
Hi babe,
We wouldn't do that to you xxxx
I use Brisa in my shop and have found it just as tough and durable as L&P........
I build the nail, with the same theory as L&P..........
Watch your stress points..apex...........aso
Don't paint the gel on, place a scoop on then nail and tickle it into place........
It should not be bendy.........
It is L&P ready mixed, well in my book it is....... So I build it like L&P,but I dont pat, I tickle instead.............

Give us a step by step on how you apply and then maybe we can give you some help.................

Brisa Gel is a very different product with a very different Technique, but well worth learning......
So stick with it.........and never be frightend to ask for help.... thats what we are all here for..............to help each other...........oh yes and to make each other smile too.............

I use Akzentz and noone on this forum suggested that I use "crap". This is cool, friendly forum and it is not brand specyfic, so you can post about any company :)
Yes, many pros here use CND, but they don't say that other product are inferior ;)

Gels are softer and easier to file, but a well balanced gel nail should/could be as strong as L&P, just my humble opinion. I can't speak for all gels, but generally speaking.......

Also...improper cure can make the gel weak. Make sure your gels are cured well.......
Without good cure you have nothing!

Also I prefer the non soakable gels, the soakable ones tend to be bendy...but it is a preference thing

Hard and strong are two different questions: speaking in generalities and not trying to be a chemist:

L & P is both hard and strong and its the hardness that is a disadvantage in engineering terms, and strong is disadvantageous if the natural nail plate has had to be etched or abrabed or even chemically altered.

The basic gels are merely ways of combining the L & P in a gel formulation for application and smell reduction purposes, essentially they are just L & P in a different form.

The best gels are easy to distinguish and they have a different science:

They are the most durable products on a weight for weight basis (think suspension bridge)

They never ever lift if applied correctly.

They perform a natural bond with the nail plate.

They are as soft/hard as a natural nail because that is what they are supposed to be impersonating.

They are flexible like a natural nail enabling them to be heavy duty due to good engineering. Think of the strength in a suspension bridge!

They will be totally tanslucent like a natural nail.

Overall, Gels have a tendency to be more flexible rather than strong.
What you want out of your enhancment is toughness (balance of strength and flexibility). Gel tend more toward the flex side and L&P tends more toward the strength side.
Some people (depending on how the bash their nails about) need more strength, others need more flex.

The more flex something has, the easier it is to bend, rip, or tear. The more strength something has, the more brittle it can be. (Think of aluminum versus steel)

Some people who have cracking and breaking with l&p are great with a gel as they can usually absorb more shock (less brittle, more give) so therefore some people mistake them for being 'stronger'. However, for longer lengths and people who do need maximum strength... technically, l&p is the best option. It more depends on the type of cracking and breaking that the client has.

The basic gels are merely ways of combining the L & P in a gel formulation for application and smell reduction purposes, essentially they are just L & P in a different form.
The best gels are easy to distinguish and they have a different science
How many gels do you know that combine L&P technology? I am suprised that you dont agree most of the basic systems out there all use urethane acrylates and glutaraldehyde which have little to do with l&p technology (except for the fact that acrylates and methacrylates are from the acrylic family).

They are the most durable products on a weight for weight basis (think suspension bridge)
Where this information comes from?

They never ever lift if applied correctly.

They perform a natural bond with the nail plate.
Most products should never lift is properly applied (actually, it has more to do with prep than application). However, many will have a greater tendency to lift sooner than others. A good example of this are hydrogen bonding products. I would think if this was a concern, a product that covalently bonds to the nail is a much better optioon than one that gets a hydrogen bond to the nail.

They are as soft/hard as a natural nail because that is what they are supposed to be impersonating.

They are flexible like a natural nail enabling them to be heavy duty due to good engineering. Think of the strength in a suspension bridge!
Funnily, most people wear enhancments because their natural nails suck. Natural nails do not withstand daily wear and tear at longer lengths like enhancments do. Remember that too much flex can be a really bad thing too as it will not withstand force (think of a rubber band). Find the baalnce of strength and flex that is right for your client.

They will be totally tanslucent like a natural nail.
Except for in the case of white, pink, red, etc... in fact, only clear should be... well... translucent.

I c cnd at prof beauty show they were showing the brisa kit, if i were to have a go at this do i have to pay for more trainig with creative to be able to offer this to my clients as well as l&p

sequinto said:
I c cnd at prof beauty show they were showing the brisa kit, if i were to have a go at this do i have to pay for more trainig with creative to be able to offer this to my clients as well as l&p

If you are already qualified, you can pruchase Brisa Gels and there is an excellent training video in the Professional Brisa Kit which is very informative and will get you started ... however, as I always say and will keep on saying, a class will benefit you greatly in learning even more about theproduct, how it works, why it is different etc. And brisa classes are being schedualed now.

Many of your questions can be answered by looking at the Premium Geeks tutorials where I have posted many many answers to possible Brisa Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back