gel over acrylic problem => can somebody help? please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi,

I just started working at a new salon and i am taking over from a really good nailtech who won the europeon nail comp. and a second place at the worldcomp....*pretty scaring taking over from somebody that good*

She only does acrylics where moste of my services lie with gel. when i rebalance their nails some customers have complained about the nail letting go on the sidewalls starting from the middle up to the free edge. The acrylic underneath is actually lifting since the gel stays well in place where it touched the natural nail. I think that one of my products maybe does something to the acrylic making it brittle.

When i file their nails down to remove lifting and rebalance i dust and use scrubfresh over the entire nail to cleanse it prior to me starting with the gel.
Is this ok or should it only be used on the natural nail?

I am really out of clues how this happens and it really bothers me like crazy since i want to do my best.

Please help....please :cry:

Well I don't do gel nails (yet) but I do know that scrub fresh is for removing oil etc. from the natural nail only. So yes I would say this is your problem, keep your scrub fresh well away from the acrylic and you should be fine.:hug:

Hi, hope you dont mind Im just interested as Ive had this problem too

so after using scrubfresh for a re balance could you wipe over the gel on the nail with something else to remove the scrubfresh ?

Hi, hope you dont mind Im just interested as Ive had this problem too

so after using scrubfresh for a re balance could you wipe over the gel on the nail with something else to remove the scrubfresh ?

Please join :)

Well I don't do gel nails (yet) but I do know that scrub fresh is for removing oil etc. from the natural nail only. So yes I would say this is your problem, keep your scrub fresh well away from the acrylic and you should be fine.:hug:

I felt this comming :green: Thx for the sooo vital info. I always used scrubfresh over gelenhancements when i rebalanced them since it doesn,t affect it. Obviously with acrylic thats no good.
I got a lot of breakage aswell....probably due to the scrubfresh aswell i guess.

I am very very happy to know what,s wrong since it so embaressing having people come back with these problems.

what is scrubfresh actually made up of?

Hi I thought scrubfresh was used for gel and L&P ?

Scrubfresh is perfectly safe to use to cleanse the nail plate with acrylic on, and I would have thought gel to! I have never had any problems with it at all!

Scrubfresh is perfectly safe to use to cleanse the nail plate with acrylic on, and I would have thought gel to! I have never had any problems with it at all!

Ok maybe I'm being a silly sod here, but I have always been told that if you don't have scrub fresh you can use acetone to remove oil etc, from the natural nail, its not as good but it will do the job and just like acetone scrub fresh, should never come into contact with the acrylic because it will cause, brittleness, dissolve the bond between the natural nail and the acrylic and cause the acrylic to yellow. So just to clarify, are you saying that you cleanse the nail plate only, or that you rub scrub fresh all over the acrylic too?

By the way, I know that one of Gigi's tricks of the trade is if you smug your nail polish to touch a bit of scrub fresh to your finger and gently run it over the smugged polish to smooth it out, I've tried it, it works, not that it has anything to do with the original question but I like to pass stuff on when I remember it:lol:

Thx for the polish tip...nailfresh works really good aswell to tidy up smudged polish by the way :)

Back to scrubfresh....
Does it contain acetone then???

Hiya hun I'm a gel user and I had the same probs as you when applying over l&p, and was told by the geeks that you do not use scrubfresh over the l&p like we do gel. Only dust brush it off, and apply scubfresh on natural nail only. But what i do to be doubly sure is scrubfesh, buff over again and then dust brush! Et voila, problem solved!

Hi , just got my spy glass out and it says alcohol and acetone and all those other little germ butt kickers :lol: LOL

Hiya hun I'm a gel user and I had the same probs as you when applying over l&p, and was told by the geeks that you do not use scrubfresh over the l&p like we do gel. Only dust brush it off, and apply scubfresh on natural nail only. But what i do to be doubly sure is scrubfesh, buff over again and then dust brush! Et voila, problem solved!

Very cool to hear that meany had this problem and that it is easily solved.
I am just sooo happy to know now. I just hope that it didn,t damaged my rep. as a new nailtech over there :rolleyes:
Customers can be very judgmental ... i hope that they are a bit forgiving.

Hi , just got my spy glass out and it says alcohol and acetone and all those other little germ butt kickers :lol: LOL

Thx for the list... i always just tought that it was alcohol and ether...not acetone :rolleyes: *doh*

Latest posts

Back