gel over previous acrylic customers :> big problems :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I have a huge problem....
I started working at a new salon and i am taking over customers which have acrylic enhancements. Since i have done gel on their enhancements they say that their nails *peel off*
The gel sits with moste really good on the natural nail where i filled in, but on the free edge and its sides it looks like the gel and acrylic seperated

These are my steps=>
Push cuticles back
remove all signs of lifting and rebalance the stress area + shorten
remove shine from natural nail with a 240 grit file
dust off and go over the entire nail with scrubfresh
* i stopped doing that since i understood that it should only touch the natural nail¨*
then i apply primer to the natural nail only
then i apply my gel
after that my uv topcoat

Is it just normal that this happens since it is gel over acrylic? since acrylic is hard and gel is more flexibel...

Or is it probably due to the fact that i have been scrubbing scrubfresh over the acrylic?

Please give me all your personal experiences with applying gel over acrylic, certain problems and how you were able to solve it.
Everything is welcome

XXX:hug:

Hi, I sometimes do infills on acrylic nails with gel and dont get probs. I dont use scrubfresh though. I just use a finishing wipe (star nails - isoprophyl alcohol) Maybe thats it as I cant think of why it would do it (unless people are picking at their nails to test your work??)

I wouldn't use a one step system for this, I would use a 3-step, using a bonder, builder and top coat. A one step may not be strong enough. Are you taking care to cap the free edge as this is a major cause of peeling

I infill with Bio Sculpture over L&P frequently and have no problems. Are you removing the bulk of the L&P first...and what with? I would use a 180 grit on the existing enhancment and thin it right down, then wipe with the gel sanitiser...not just scrubfresh as some systems don;t like this.

Then make sure you are capping really well...I do find some gels pull back a tiny bit more so over other products before cure than they do over a well prepped natural nail.

Hi, I sometimes do infills on acrylic nails with gel and dont get probs. I dont use scrubfresh though. I just use a finishing wipe (star nails - isoprophyl alcohol) Maybe thats it as I cant think of why it would do it (unless people are picking at their nails to test your work??)

Do you use the finishing whipe over the acrylic aswell?

All these things i do,

cap the edges, i use a 180 to remove the bulk and then go over to a 240...

Maybe i am just cursed lol :)

i use a 180 to remove the bulk and then go over to a 240...

I personally leave it at 180 on the L&P (240 on natural nail to remove shine), then work a really good layer of gel in as a bonder layer....albeit its a uniphase system. It just seems to gives better grip.

However I doubt that this will be the root of your problem.

What gel are you using?

And check your lamp bulbs....just in case?

I am using magnetic gels. I have always been really pleased with them.
I was thinking aswell of changing my uv bulbs even though i think that they are still ok since when i do my own nails i have no problems.

But i will defenitly follow up your advice and see what happens. cross your fingers :lol:

Hi
I had a problem with using scrubfresh and a different gel system other than creative, all my customers nails, peeled and shattered - nearly broke my tincy mobile business and I lost two customers as a result. I think it should be clearly stated that it can only be used with creative products as they are formulated to work with this. Scrubfresh contains ACETONE and this may contribute to the breakdown
just my two cents! ;)

Cait

Hi
I had a problem with using scrubfresh and a different gel system other than creative, all my customers nails, peeled and shattered - nearly broke my tincy mobile business and I lost two customers as a result. I think it should be clearly stated that it can only be used with creative products as they are formulated to work with this. Scrubfresh contains ACETONE and this may contribute to the breakdown
just my two cents! ;)

Cait

Yeah...i have quit using it recently on the acrylic part. I havent had the chance yet to see the difference on a returning customer. I normally always used it for my gel application on which i never had a problem.
I am affraid i lost a few customers aswell :cry: It really is stressing me out to the point i feel sick going to work...i hope everything gets sorted out as soon as possible.
Thx for the help:hug:

Well I lost two but I also retained a few too
Stay open, honest and keep your integrity. I backed up all my mess ups with documentation and I did the new set for free.
S*§t happens sometimes and its how you deal with it that makes the difference.

Try not to stress too much - speak to your boss, tell her how you are researching the issue and that you would also be keen to get her advice. You may be surprised as to what she recommends! After all its her salon!

Stay positive - if we were all experts straight away we would have no advice to pass on to others ; )

Cait x

Well I lost two but I also retained a few too
Stay open, honest and keep your integrity. I backed up all my mess ups with documentation and I did the new set for free.
S*§t happens sometimes and its how you deal with it that makes the difference.

Try not to stress too much - speak to your boss, tell her how you are researching the issue and that you would also be keen to get her advice. You may be surprised as to what she recommends! After all its her salon!

Stay positive - if we were all experts straight away we would have no advice to pass on to others ; )

Cait x

Thx for the support and the words of comfort :hug:
what a doll :)

you need to make sure you are not capping the end ans sides and then breaking the sel with fling i usualy file then go over the whole ting with a uv fininshing coat this may help.

you need to make sure you are not capping the end ans sides and then breaking the sel with fling i usualy file then go over the whole ting with a uv fininshing coat this may help.

Yeah i do,
I did it like that in the beginning but now i don,t even file after i capt the edges with my builder gel...just to be safe :lol:
But thank you for the help, i appreciate it a lot :hug:

Hi
just my two cents! ;)

Cait

your peeling and shattering wasn't because of scrubfresh I would have thought that you can use scrubfresh with any system

Ruby x

your peeling and shattering wasn't because of scrubfresh you can use scrubfresh with any system

Ruby x

There are several systems that don't like scrubfresh......Bio Sculpture for one, lifts badly with it and Bio NEVER lifts if you use its own sanitiser.

Scrubfresh is acetone base and some systems just don;t like this.

every system has its own sanitiser and it is best to use any system as a whole

Rubyx

Latest posts

Back