Gel Overlay help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Hi peeps, please help, i did a NSI gel overlay on Saturday and the client has just text me saying 5 of my nails are a bit pooey! and 1 has come off, can i come in saturday for you to sort them out. I tend to be having a mare with Gel overlay, i was thorough on my prep so cant see why they would look 'pooey'! how should i deal with this and any help would be really appreciated x

Hi Kelly - Wish I could help you but I am not good at gel at all. Did the Brisa induction on Wednesday and it was kinda back to square one for me - HELP! Perhaps e-mail/phone Debs - I'm sure she'll go through things with you.

Thanks Chris, hoping someone can help as ive got to call her back. Also should i charge for this bearing in mind theyve only lasted 6 days? x x

I would wait and see how they look. If you think they haven't perhaps lasted because of your application or something, I wouldn't charge on this occasion. Hopefully she'll appreciate your gesture and will stick with you.

Totally irelevant i know but just to let you know all nails still intact and no sign on lifting so these ones are ok hun.
x

Kelly - It may well be that your client has particularly oily nail plates.

Hi Kellyc, I have just started to use NSI Balance Gel and it's lovely. All I would say, 'is your client heavy handed?' if so she may need acrylic. I have recently undertaken enhancements on a ladie I used to give acrylic to and I wait to see how she gets on with them. She used to go 2 weeks easy with them all on by her next appointment. I hope she isn't dissapointed with the gel. I used to have an apex problem with gel but all seems ok for now. It could be a minor prep mishap, we all have em. I'm sure if you offer to re do them and say let's see how you get on. HTH.
Nat

Kellyc said:
Hi peeps, please help, i did a NSI gel overlay on Saturday and the client has just text me saying 5 of my nails are a bit pooey! and 1 has come off, can i come in saturday for you to sort them out. I tend to be having a mare with Gel overlay, i was thorough on my prep so cant see why they would look 'pooey'! how should i deal with this and any help would be really appreciated x
Hi kelly I've done Gel overlay and through past experience have found that you need to make sure you prep well and use no less than a 240 grit file before you apply gel, make sure you prep again after filling.
I would offer to do them again, and also remind your client on the after care.
I had a client who has had gels and acrylic, but cannot manage to keep them, when she comes back for me to see them, her nails have nothing on them not a bit of nail,gel or anything and I cannot solve the problem. Can anyone help!!

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, she is booked in for tomorrow so i will have a look at them, getting really frustrated that nothing seems to last, but i have recently purchased scrubfresh and cant wait to use that to make sure prep is thorough!

Thanks Lucia, lets pray they hang on then hun! xxx

Hi Kelly
I don't use NSI Gel, I use Nail Solutions, I only have one lady who has it (others prefer L&P) but don't seem to have many probs and I prep in normal way (your scrub fresh will probably make a difference).

I would have a look at them tomorrow before you decide whether to charge her again or not, has she been wearing gloves for housework using detergents etc (maybe she used that gilit bang stuff "don't know if thats how you spell it LOL") , what does she do for a living??? suppose the one she lost just pinged off!!!! ask her what happended. Has she looked after them????!!!! It may not be your fault hun so don't get too disheartened or be too hard on yourself. Was this her first set?

Maybe she would be better with your backscratchers as Scatty's looked lovely on Wednesday night.

Hope it goes well tomorrow, don't let her give you any poo. Let us know how you get on.

x

OVerlays, like sculpting, have always been one of my major nightmares, but I've got em sussed now. I do them exactly the same as if they have tips, just a little thinner on the apex. Make sure you cap the free edge, I do it by running my brush along the end of the free edge, I don't bring it underneath as I think it looks pants, and this stops the lifting at the free edge.

I can't have overlays as I'm a serial picker! Oh how satisfying it is when I can slide my nail between the overlay and the product!! I find that some clients get on with overlays fine, but people like me need the rigidness of a tip to stop me picking. It may be that your cient is like me! Really interrogate her before you start blaning yourself.

This really needs you to take a look at the nails before you can determine who is at fault here. It may or may not have been anything you`ve done at all. If the nail has come off and she has nail damage then it`ll be obvious she has banged them herself somehow, or if the whole lot has come off then the gel may never have connected in which case it would be down to your prep.
It sounds strange that she has lost 5, although this is a large amount, the fact she hasn`t lost them all sounds to me like its her fault and she`s been too heavy with them but it is also possible that those 5 nails may have skipped the net of proper prep slightly but I know which way I`m swaying without looking at them.
Do them again for her, let her leave with a stunning set again and tell her you won`t charge this time but she really needs to be much more careful in future as they`re nails NOT tools. Be firm but fair. Good luck

Hi guys, thanks for your advice, she came back on Sunday i expected the worse, but she had one which had completely come off and did look as though it could have been my prep as there was no gel left at all and no soreness etc to the nail, the other one she had chipped the corner which she admitted was her fault and that was it! In actual fact i was quite pleased with them seeing as normally when i do an overlay it only lasts a few days x

Latest posts

Back