Gel overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkies!

Reaction score
For all you gel using geeks out there, when doing a clear overlay, do you have the best results with builder gels or soak off gels??

Also, is it just me or can anyone explain why when doing a french overlay (with white gel) I have no probs with free edge separation etc without using a form, but if I was to use a clear gel without a form I probably would??

Cheers x

The french white I use is softer and more flexible bends more with the free edge whereas the clear isn't and seperates rather then bends withe the nail...I always use forms now weither I'm scuplting extensions or in case of overlay just leaving enough to encase the nail..free edge seperation is the biggest reason why people pick their nails off I've seen with gel...IMHO

Yeah that must be what it is - white gels are more flexible!

I haven't done that many overlays but have had quite a few requests now that I have moved from being mobile & into a salon, so wanted to be ready for them.

I am also going to always use a form whether it is a clear overlay or french, just to be safe!

So what type of gel do you use when doing a clear overlay BKnOKi??

Thanks,
Jade x

Mainly light elegance but have some extra hard gel from nailite that I'm currently trying to use up...no problems with the gel just very happy with LE's bonder and fibergel and prefer one system with option gels as needed.....

BTW as a side note here in japan product is very limited are has a very high price range....maybe I should consider becoming an creative supplier here on my lil tropical island.....

BKnOki said:
BTW as a side note here in japan product is very limited are has a very high price range....maybe I should consider becoming an creative supplier here on my lil tropical island.....

Get in touch with Takara Belmont, they are the Creative Suppliers in Japan.

Ok luv thanks...

I find Calgel (soakable gel) much better for wraps than a non-soakable gel because it's more flexible. Natural nails bend and move and calgel bends with it, whereas a non soakable gel is very hard and unbendy so when the natural nail bends it seperates from the gel, causing lifting.

:D

Aphrodite said:
I find Calgel (soakable gel) much better for wraps than a non-soakable gel because it's more flexible. Natural nails bend and move and calgel bends with it, whereas a non soakable gel is very hard and unbendy so when the natural nail bends it seperates from the gel, causing lifting.

:D
That wont cause gel to lift.
Too much flex can be a serious downside as the free edge will happily curl and the product will curl with it. This can lead to a seriously ugly nails. ;)

In my opinion:

Soak off gels
Pro -Easily removable

Con- Excessive flex and colour stability woes

Non soak off gel
Pro- More strength and clarity

Con- Very difficult to soak
Hope this helps make an informed choice about your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back