Gel pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanVenus

Reaction score
I've never put gel polish on toenails before - is there anyone with experience that would be able to tell me how the process goes with soaking the feet for hard skin removal? I was told by my gel overlay tutor that you couldn't soak the fingers for cuticle work because the gel wouldn't stick properly.

Complete your gel application routine as normal then soak the feet, hard skin removal & any special treatments, massage with lotion to finish.
You do your cuticle work just with a remover eg CND Cuticle Away or equivalent.

Thank you!

You will weaken the nails if you use a cuticle softener like CND cuticle away. Its not necessary to use it if you know what you are doing.

There are two types of cuticles. Type A is powder like once soaked in water. Type B is clear film like. The toes will have both types of cuticles and youll need to remove both in order for the gels to not lift. Though gels tend to stick pretty well on the toes because the nail is thicker, which makes for a good base.

Soak the feet for a couple of minutes. Push back the cuticles. At this point, you should see type A cuticle come off the nail. Wash and scrub toes with soap and water to remove all traces of type A cuticle. Type B cuticle should now be evident. Remove with a cuticle nipper. Be careful here because you may be mistaking type b cuticle with the living skin, the eponychium. Sometimes these two can look the same because they become clear after you soak in water. Just remember that type B can only grow on top of the nail, and is not attached to skin. Now clean the nails with acetone to dry out all water traces. Any water or cuticle residue will cause lifting. Easy.

I think I'll try both methods on willing victims *cough* I mean volunteers and test the results ;)

I carry out a gel pedicure the same way as I do a standard pedicure, I soak, scrub and massage.
Then cuticle away and then proceed with gel polish - I find toe nails are strong enough to deal with this and I never have an issue with the gel polish not lasting. (Cuticle remover doesn't weaken the nails IMO).
(Their feet are only soaking for about 10 minutes in total mind so I would keep in mind how long they are in the water).

I think you guys overlook how cuticle away works. Theres no formula that targets cuticles specifcally. If you read the label, it says to leave on the nails for 1-2 mins only. I can guarantee you guys are leaving it on for much longer than that which is damaging to the nails.

Any cuticle remover should be removed from the skin and nail ASAP - whether it's CND or another brand - anyone who has been taught manicures by a responsible tutor/lecturer would know this. If the product was damaging the nails - I'm sure the clients would have something to say about it's usage.

Any cuticle remover is highly alkaline ( I used to teach level 3 cosmetic science) which is why it works and why nail techs KNOW to use it swiftly and remove thoroughly...

Latest posts

Back