Gel polish and dip powder?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelancetrainer

Reaction score
Hi. Just curious to know as I don’t have a lot of experience in gel polish or dip powder. But when the clients nails reach that 3 week regrowth stage, do you remove the gel polish or dip powder and reapply fresh or do you just fill in the gap at the base where it’s grown?

Gel polish should be removed and start afresh each time.

I don't really bother much with my powder dip system now to be honest, but again, it's better to soak it off and re-apply as unless you've used a clear one with gel polish on top (which would seem to defeat the point of using the system really), the whole overlay is going to be solid colour. I have heard that if the client wants the same colour or a darker one that you can infill it once, but I think it would be quicker and easier to soak it off and start again to be honest.

Gel polish should be removed and start afresh each time.

I don't really bother much with my powder dip system now to be honest, but again, it's better to soak it off and re-apply as unless you've used a clear one with gel polish on top (which would seem to defeat the point of using the system really), the whole overlay is going to be solid colour. I have heard that if the client wants the same colour or a darker one that you can infill it once, but I think it would be quicker and easier to soak it off and start again to be honest.

How long does it take for the gel polish to remove fully and do you charge for this or just tell them to buy acetone and do it themselves at home? I found it took nearly an hour to remove my own.

How long does it take for the gel polish to remove fully and do you charge for this or just tell them to buy acetone and do it themselves at home? I found it took nearly an hour to remove my own.
Just curious are you a trained nail tech?

Each brand of gel polish will have different removal times and products to remove it according to formulation. Because gel polish is meant it be removed and laid fresh on natural nails or nail extensions it is part of the service to remove old gel polish and apply new base+colour+top coat. Think of it of a different formulation, longer wearing nail polish, different product but similar service concept.

If you are a trained nail tech this should resonate with you! Hope it helps!

Also, being a professional nail tech with your customer's best interest as a priority, you wouldn't ever recommend they remove product on their own. That is why you train and practice, to do it properly and safely.

Just curious are you a trained nail tech?

Each brand of gel polish will have different removal times and products to remove it according to formulation. Because gel polish is meant it be removed and laid fresh on natural nails or nail extensions it is part of the service to remove old gel polish and apply new base+colour+top coat. Think of it of a different formulation, longer wearing nail polish, different product but similar service concept.

If you are a trained nail tech this should resonate with you! Hope it helps!

Also, being a professional nail tech with your customer's best interest as a priority, you wouldn't ever recommend they remove product on their own. That is why you train and practice, to do it properly and safely.

Hi
I trained in the application of artificial nails and nail extensions many many years ago but gel polish is relatively new to me. I’d have thought that removing gel polish from nail extensions would dissolve the nail extension too does it not?

I know with acrylics and gel nails we always filled in the regrowth way back when, which is why I was curious if the same applied to gel polish. I’m using gelish products and they have their own branded remover but I assumed acetone would do the same job and thought it may save time if the client just bought some and removed them herself. The branded stuff took ages to remove. I’m not one for artificial nails so I don’t do extensions etc but thought I’d offer gel polish as an option with my manicures and pedicures. It seems to me that removing the entire application every time would have an over drying effect on the nail plate?

File off gel polish on acrylic or hard gel, then reapply fresh gel polish. If on natural nail, file off top coat then remove the rest with acetone, then reapply. You can't use acetone to remove gel polish on nail extension, it would start to dissolve the extensions, particularly acrylic, hard gel would more resistant but I still wouldn't do it. That's what I was taught anyway.

Hi
I trained in the application of artificial nails and nail extensions many many years ago but gel polish is relatively new to me. I’d have thought that removing gel polish from nail extensions would dissolve the nail extension too does it not?

I know with acrylics and gel nails we always filled in the regrowth way back when, which is why I was curious if the same applied to gel polish. I’m using gelish products and they have their own branded remover but I assumed acetone would do the same job and thought it may save time if the client just bought some and removed them herself. The branded stuff took ages to remove. I’m not one for artificial nails so I don’t do extensions etc but thought I’d offer gel polish as an option with my manicures and pedicures. It seems to me that removing the entire application every time would have an over drying effect on the nail plate?

Before you start offering gel polish to your clients you would certainly need to do a recognised training course, otherwise you won't be covered by your insurance. Reputable educators will teach you the best methods of removal from natural nails and from extensions, but you're correct, you wouldn't soak the gel polish off nail tips with acetone, you would need to file it off.

I am qualified in the application of acrylic nails, fibre glass, silk and gel. And the removal. There doesn’t appear to be anything new to learn in gel polish, other than the fact you don’t infill. I always found the removal of gel, acrylic etc a pain too. So time consuming. Thank you all for clarifying whether I needed to infill or not.

I am qualified in the application of acrylic nails, fibre glass, silk and gel. And the removal. There doesn’t appear to be anything new to learn in gel polish, other than the fact you don’t infill. I always found the removal of gel, acrylic etc a pain too. So time consuming. Thank you all for clarifying whether I needed to infill or not.

I had the same qualifications (gel polish wasn't about when I trained in 1997), but I still had to do a gel polish course for insurance purposes and I would say it was very worthwhile. I'd been using gel polish on myself, family and friends for about 5 years before going back to college, but being self-taught isn't enough and if you know which brand you want to use I'd recommend doing their own course as not all gel polishes are applied the same and that can have a huge impact on how well/long the gel polish manicure will last.

Just from the questions you have asked it would be beneficial for you to do further training.
Gel polish can sometimes be finicky. How will you know how to troubleshoot if you have not been trained?
I was qualified in the same as you and we did cover gel polish slightly in my training. However I still did further training with my brand of choice and I am glad I did as different brands can use different prep products and methods.

Oh yes, I’m not saying I won’t do the training. The gelish company didn’t have a trainer when I enquires about their training. I fully intend to attend training. That said, some people have reported that the training was rubbish but that won’t stop me applying. In the meantime, I have watched Gelish’s own training video, read all application instructions including all troubleshooting. I was just curious about whether or not to infill and whether or not anyone just encouraged clients to soak off at home. Although I intend on doing the course, it really doesn’t appear rocket science.

If it was really
Oh yes, I’m not saying I won’t do the training. The gelish company didn’t have a trainer when I enquires about their training. I fully intend to attend training. That said, some people have reported that the training was rubbish but that won’t stop me applying. In the meantime, I have watched Gelish’s own training video, read all application instructions including all troubleshooting. I was just curious about whether or not to infill and whether or not anyone just encouraged clients to soak off at home. Although I intend on doing the course, it really doesn’t appear rocket science.[/QUOTE

If it really was that simple there wouldn't be so many posts from nail techs asking why their gel polish chips/bubbles/peels off or just doesn't last etc!

If it was really

Oh no, I’m not saying problems don’t arise. Just that there doesn’t appear to be much more to learn on the course, given it’s all there on video and print etc. I’m not knocking the profession. I’m fully qualified and experienced in other areas but it doesn’t make a person perfect or stop asking questions. I do appreciate everything you’ve said.

Oh no, I’m not saying problems don’t arise. Just that there doesn’t appear to be much more to learn on the course, given it’s all there on video and print etc. I’m not knocking the profession. I’m fully qualified and experienced in other areas but it doesn’t make a person perfect or stop asking questions. I do appreciate everything you’ve said.

Ps. My questions aren’t so silly and are not a sign of not having attended training. People on here who have attended gel polish courses have asked exactly the same questions and say Gelish, a reputable company do advise it if a client is having the same colour but only one infill. Just because someone has attended a training course doesn’t stop them asking questions. We never stop learning.

Latest posts

Back