Gel polish and Thyroid Link?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaMakeup

Reaction score
Hi,

I heard that gel nail polishes are not suitable for people with thyroid problems?! is this correct?
I have under active thyroids and am on medication. Whilst I did my training I showed my nail formation (Slanted downwards when too long) and said it was due to my thyroids.

My tutor asked if gels have ever been successfull on my nails-and thinking about it they aren't. They peel off within a 4days! Salon tested as well as my own.
Is this true and a known fact in the beauty industry?! :?:
Please advise.
Refards,
M.x

I hear this all the time but I have a Thyroid problem, underactive and have been on medication for the last 5 years and have never had any problems with gels, acrylics or gel polishes. I also have several nail clients on Thyroid medication and no problems at all.:D

It has been proved that Thyroxin (Thyroid medication) has a side effect of giving a slippery nail surface. I explain that to all my ladies that tell me they are on it when going through the consultation form. However, out of 4 ladies on it (who have Shellac BTW), only 2 have Nail Fresh as an extra temporary dehydrator and not one of them (with Nail Fresh or without) have any problems. HTH's x

I have had an underactive Thyroid for 5 years and wear my gels all the time with no problem. I wear opi and shellac and they stay put for at least 2 weeks .

One of my clients has an under-active thyroid, she gets the longest out of anybody with her nails! 4 weeks, and they are still perfect, obviously just grown out a bit! x

Yep I have an under active thyroid (13yrs now) and I use Shellac and get 2-3wks wear no probs :)

My mum has had a total thyroidectomy after being diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive) - she had a goitre and they thought it was cancer, so it was removed.

She is on Thyroxine and I swear to god, her Shellac lasts better than every single one of my clients... despite her never listening to my aftercare! They stand up to a hell of a lot of abuse.

I have 4 other clients on thyroid meds, who also have no problems whatsoever. It's worth taking note of, however, just in case you do have someone who is taking thyroid medication, is particularly affected by it and you can't put it down to anything else.

xx

I have a lovely client on thyroxin and her shellac never gets past 7 days, I'm meticulous with application etc, as always, and she's meticulous with aftercare. Only thing we can think of is the meds, perhaps it affects different people in different ways?

Yip im underactive too and I have problem keeping anything on my nails ,thay r thin bendy and oliy ,but im also a hairdresser too so not sure whichmakes it worse :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I've an underactive thyroid and on thyroxine and have worn Gelish and acrylics for the last 4-5 years with absolutely no problem. I suspect it would only be a problem if your meds weren't stable. My thyroid is treated and I should be no different to a normal person now, all symptoms are removed once stabilised!

Thanks everyone for your replys! they are very helpful. I guess I may try Shellac to see if that helps me.

Latest posts

Back