Gel polish chipped from broken nail, what do I charge client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.csglitzandglam

Reaction score
I’ve had 2 clients break there nails. And have come back to me expecting me to fix the nail free of charge. The first client had 2 broken, one was very obviously bitten off the second client admitted to shutting it in the freezer and it snapped down the side. I used gelish builder gel on one client and charged £3 on top of the price for a normal set. How much would I have charged her for the one broken nail to be re-done and builder gel re applied? And how much to the other client who broke 2 nails?

I have no idea what to charge clients who break there own nail and expect fixing for free?

Also.. how do you go about a chipped gel polish? Remove the whole thing and soak off or fill in the gap?

Repairs are 1/10th of a full price set per finger

Repairs are 1/10th of a full price set per finger

I charge £15, and then £5 removal. Surely I can’t charge £1.50 for one broken nail? Wouldn’t be worth my time. I’m really struggling with a price for this problem

Something which is useful to do, if not already doing it, is to hand out home care instructions to new clients so they have been informed of how to look after them. This leaflet then gives you the opportunity to state the length of time you will repair for free (e.g. 3 days). Then if they want a repair they know that they have to pay. You'd be surprised how it makes them more careful.

I include a free mini solar oil with their first set - so no excuses!

I rarely do a repair but if needed I generally charge 1/10th of a full set ( if one nail)

Something which is useful to do, if not already doing it, is to hand out home care instructions to new clients so they have been informed of how to look after them. This leaflet then gives you the opportunity to state the length of time you will repair for free (e.g. 3 days). Then if they want a repair they know that they have to pay. You'd be surprised how it makes them more careful.

I include a free mini solar oil with their first set - so no excuses!

I rarely do a repair but if needed I generally charge 1/10th of a full set ( if one nail)

Thankyou so much. It just doesn’t seem right. If I’m charging £15 a set and £5 removal, I would be charging £1.50 for a broken nail. Maybe £2 per nail? Just doesn’t seem worth my time for them to come here. Me remove it. And then reapply. That’s a good idea in using home care instructions. I will use that idea. Thankyou very much

Thankyou so much. It just doesn’t seem right. If I’m charging £15 a set and £5 removal, I would be charging £1.50 for a broken nail. Maybe £2 per nail? Just doesn’t seem worth my time for them to come here. Me remove it. And then reapply. That’s a good idea in using home care instructions. I will use that idea. Thankyou very much

£15 is incredibly cheap for a professional gel polish service. Can you raise your prices - say 3% twice a year until you get to a better level.

I'm in rural somerset (not particularly posh) and clients pay £25 to £30 around here.

£15 is incredibly cheap for a professional gel polish service. Can you raise your prices - say 3% twice a year until you get to a better level.

I'm in rural somerset (not particularly posh) and clients pay £25 to £30 around here.

I want to raise my prices eventually. People are paying me each time they come £20 for a set including removal. It’s because it’s just recently started gels I want to attract some clients attention. Gels around here in the salons aren’t much more expensive. And acrylics in the shops here are £23. So I don’t want to go too high

I want to raise my prices eventually. People are paying me each time they come £20 for a set including removal. It’s because it’s just recently started gels I want to attract some clients attention. Gels around here in the salons aren’t much more expensive. And acrylics in the shops here are £23. So I don’t want to go too high
Perhaps have a minimum fee stated e.g. £2.50 or £3.00
Remember though, that you are building your good reputation with your clients and if they have a problem you quickly fix, they will be appreciative of that and stay with you.

Perhaps have a minimum fee stated e.g. £2.50 or £3.00
Remember though, that you are building your good reputation with your clients and if they have a problem you quickly fix, they will be appreciative of that and stay with you.

I will charge £2.50 per broken nail. How would I word this? I will fix a chipped colour within 3 days. But if there nail had broken (self inflicted) they will have to pay... not sure on how to word this.
Also, can I find aftercare instructions online? To print and give to clients or u have any idea of what I can write? Thankyou

Latest posts

Back