Gel polish colour coming off when I wipe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
I have been doing gel nails for a couple of years now and sometimes I find when I wipe the tackiness off with nail polish remover some of the colour comes off, so I re apply the top coat or colour if needed and then do it again, or I cure for longer, and sometimes it STILL happens! It tends to be with the dark red colours! Why is this?! The clients always look at me worried and now I’m paranoid about wiping!

I have been doing gel nails for a couple of years now and sometimes I find when I wipe the tackiness off with nail polish remover some of the colour comes off, so I re apply the top coat or colour if needed and then do it again, or I cure for longer, and sometimes it STILL happens! It tends to be with the dark red colours! Why is this?! The clients always look at me worried and now I’m paranoid about wiping!

Try applying thinner colour coats, and also be sure that your top coat covers the entire application.

The top layer doesn’t cure in the presence of oxygen. That’s why it’s tacky. If you’re getting colour bleeding through your top coat, try applying two coats of top coat to ensure good, even coverage.

What brand are you using?
What lamp are you using?

There is a brand whose gel is super pigmented and does allow for quite a bit if colour to be removed with the dispersion layer, but unless it's that brsnd I would worry its uncured product. You shouldn't be using nail polish remover to remove the dispersion layer. IPA is a better product.

A few things: what brand are you using? What lamp are you using? I'd also be concerned that you are not thoroughly curing the color coat. What you describe is indicative of incomplete curing, especially with the darker colors.

Why are you using nail polish remover to wipe the tacky layer? Generally speaking, the instructions call for 90% IPA. Nail polish remover is designed to break down polish and may well be compromising your service.

Hi I use Artistic Gel Polish. I do cure them for 60 seconds then if I feel the nail gently and a little rubs off I pop them back in for another 60 seconds and I make sure the thumb is on a buffer. I will double check what lamp is in the salon tomorrow. My boss has shown me to use nail polish remover but I sometimes use Gelux

Hi I use Artistic Gel Polish. I do cure them for 60 seconds then if I feel the nail gently and a little rubs off I pop them back in for another 60 seconds and I make sure the thumb is on a buffer. I will double check what lamp is in the salon tomorrow. My boss has shown me to use nail polish remover but I sometimes use Gelux
It does sound like you're using the wrong lamp. The UV light doesn't penetrate very deep, especially with dark colors, so that's often where the problem shows up.

Last edited:

Did you do some formal training in Gel Polish?

It sounds like you are using a generic lamp. You need to use the same lamp as the product for best results. They are all callibrated differently and although you can sometimes 'get away' with another lamp, u often have issues such as this. Other posters are also correct about not using nail polish remover. I'm assuming maybe you haven't actually done a qualification in gel or shellac? It sounds as if perhaps your 'boss' has shown you what to do, but she hasn't shown you the correct procedure, if this is the case.

Did you do some formal training in Gel Polish?
Yes.. I’ve been in the salon for 2 years. Like I say, it’s always with dark colours, any others I don’t have a problem with. Thank you ladies I will check this out.

It sounds like you are using a generic lamp. You need to use the same lamp as the product for best results. They are all callibrated differently and although you can sometimes 'get away' with another lamp, u often have issues such as this. Other posters are also correct about not using nail polish remover. I'm assuming maybe you haven't actually done a qualification in gel or shellac? It sounds as if perhaps your 'boss' has shown you what to do, but she hasn't shown you the correct procedure, if this is the case.
Yes I did a level 2 beauty course 2 years ago and still undergoing beauty? I either use nail polish remover or gelux. Never usually have problems until I apply dark colours. For example yesterday I applied a light pink gel and it was perfectly fine. I will double check the lamps though.

Yes.. I’ve been in the salon for 2 years. Like I say, it’s always with dark colours, any others I don’t have a problem with. Thank you ladies I will check this out.

Did your beauty therapy course cover gel polish, not all BT have a GP Module. It'd be disappointed if it didn't include information about dispersion layer, suitable removal procedures and curing process.

Latest posts

Back