Gel polish for clients who are rough with their hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aery

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having problem with certain clients (florist, gardeners...), their gel polish would only last for about 10 days before chipping, while my other clients with last up to 3 to even 5 weeks. I tried many things, but it's kinda a silent agreement that it would happen. Until recently, a client of mine said that her coworkers also have gel but it lasted very long, and I want that for my clients. So if any one have any pointer to help me out, I would much appreciated.

Here is my procedure, if anyone have any thought about this, feel free to leave me a tip.

File with a medium band (I ran it lightly on a 180 file about 2 sec to soften it up) on very low speed. Ph bond, then protein bond (YoungNails). Gelish base, then color, then gelish top coat (or CND duraforce). I do cap the edges.

Also, what's the strongest product out there?

When I do nail art on gel polish...I usually apply two layers of top coat and sometimes they are a pain to take off. Maybe try two thin layers of top coat for those clients and see if it makes a difference in the long term wear of the gel polish. Either that or you can try hard gel.

When I do nail art on gel polish...I usually apply two layers of top coat and sometimes they are a pain to take off. Maybe try two thin layers of top coat for those clients and see if it makes a difference in the long term wear of the gel polish. Either that or you can try hard gel.

Completely agree on the extra top coat

Hi, I'm having problem with certain clients (florist, gardeners...), their gel polish would only last for about 10 days before chipping, while my other clients with last up to 3 to even 5 weeks. I tried many things, but it's kinda a silent agreement that it would happen. Until recently, a client of mine said that her coworkers also have gel but it lasted very long, and I want that for my clients. So if any one have any pointer to help me out, I would much appreciated.

Here is my procedure, if anyone have any thought about this, feel free to leave me a tip.

File with a medium band (I ran it lightly on a 180 file about 2 sec to soften it up) on very low speed. Ph bond, then protein bond (YoungNails). Gelish base, then color, then gelish top coat (or CND duraforce). I do cap the edges.

Also, what's the strongest product out there?

I agree with the extra top coat , it really helps the clients that have difficult jobs.
I notice you use gelish...why not try structure gel over your colour and then final top coat? Not sure if it is 60 second cure so you need to check the product label.
Hope you get it sorted.
RosieR

I have quite a few clients who are hard on their nails but since I started using the Gel Bottle's BIAB (Builder in a Bottle) as an overlay it has made a huge difference. It really is as good as all the hype! It's really strong, but not brittle and rarely lifts. It files really easily. It's perfect for infilling but can be soaked off as well. I do use it as a complete system with TGB gel polish, top coat and lamp, but if my clients want a different gel colour on top (I also use INK and Cuccio), I wipe off the inhibition layer, refine if necessary and then apply a thin layer of either INK or Cuccio base coat before the gel polish. (I also cure it in the correct lamp).

I appreciate we are talking quite an outlay for a whole new system, but thought it was worth mentioning as you were asking about strong products.

I agree with the extra top coat , it really helps the clients that have difficult jobs.
I notice you use gelish...why not try structure gel over your colour and then final top coat? Not sure if it is 60 second cure so you need to check the product label.
Hope you get it sorted.
RosieR
Can you recommend a good structure gel?

I have quite a few clients who are hard on their nails but since I started using the Gel Bottle's BIAB (Builder in a Bottle) as an overlay it has made a huge difference. It really is as good as all the hype! It's really strong, but not brittle and rarely lifts. It files really easily. It's perfect for infilling but can be soaked off as well. I do use it as a complete system with TGB gel polish, top coat and lamp, but if my clients want a different gel colour on top (I also use INK and Cuccio), I wipe off the inhibition layer, refine if necessary and then apply a thin layer of either INK or Cuccio base coat before the gel polish. (I also cure it in the correct lamp).

I appreciate we are talking quite an outlay for a whole new system, but thought it was worth mentioning as you were asking about strong products.

Correct me if I'm wrong. So basically, you are doing a gel enhancement on the client real nails, and fill like a gel extension fill? That's very interesting point, I will definitely try this.

Gelish Structure Gel is LIFE! Apply a coat of this over your colour and before top coat.

Correct me if I'm wrong. So basically, you are doing a gel enhancement on the client real nails, and fill like a gel extension fill? That's very interesting point, I will definitely try this.

Hi , don't buy any other system without trying gelish structure gel as it may well be your answer. You have the system and lamp presumably so go and get youself a bottle. It's also great witthout any colour as the strength with it is excellent.

Correct me if I'm wrong. So basically, you are doing a gel enhancement on the client real nails, and fill like a gel extension fill? That's very interesting point, I will definitely try this.[/QUOT

Yes, that's right. I am getting far better results using BIAB than I ever did with hard gel (on natural nails and over tips).

Hi , don't buy any other system without trying gelish structure gel as it may well be your answer. You have the system and lamp presumably so go and get youself a bottle. It's also great witthout any colour as the strength with it is excellent.

Yes, this is a very fair point.

And when do you usually use this product? After or before base? Or do you use it after color and before top coat?

After base before top if used with no colour, ( structure sandwich so to speak )
After base, apply your 2 colour coats, then structure, then top coat
Hope thats clear for you

I have to chime in with praise of Gelish Structure. I am wearing it this week - just Foundation, two coats Structure Translucent Pink, and Top It Off. I work at a zoo and it has come through perfectly; not a nick, split or chip, and my nails feel strong, but not brittle. Next week, I'm going to try clear over my usual color.

Hi all, I did a clients nails on Thursday (gel polish on natural nail) and I saw her today and she has a few chips at the free edge. She’s very rough with her hands, never wears gloves etc, I think 2 coats of top coat would be better for her. Just wondering, my top coat is a non wipe... can I use two coats of this? As it doesn’t have the sticky layer after curing so don’t know if the second layer will stick? If you get what I mean? Xx

Hi all, I did a clients nails on Thursday (gel polish on natural nail) and I saw her today and she has a few chips at the free edge. She’s very rough with her hands, never wears gloves etc, I think 2 coats of top coat would be better for her. Just wondering, my top coat is a non wipe... can I use two coats of this? As it doesn’t have the sticky layer after curing so don’t know if the second layer will stick? If you get what I mean? Xx

Yes you are right, it will not stick. Use your normal gel top x 2

Another thing similar to a double top coat that might help is to apply your base gel over the colour and then top coat over that.

Another thing similar to a double top coat that might help is to apply your base gel over the colour and then top coat over that.

Aaw fab, thanks Hun, will give that a try as I only have non-wipe top coats at the moment x

My processs is foundation, structure clear, 2 color and two top coats. My clients who have had brittle nails now have nice strong nails. I do have 2 clients that come to me every 2 weeks because of the chipping. I dont have that problem with other clients. I wonder how it would work with a structure over color? Or would the structure be as strong as the top coat? I do use all gelish.

Latest posts

Back