Gel polish: free edge and top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfected

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've started in a new location and have done the owner's nails twice now. She warned me she's hard on her hands (hair stylist).

First time, I did a gel mani with all proper prep. (Cuticle work, cleansing, etc). She messaged a few days later showing chips on her thumb corners and ring finger. . She also pointed out the shrinkage at the free edge.

Yesterday I redid them. She chose a different color. I made sure to warm the bottles in my apron pocket, applied the layers super thin, capped the fe with each layer (like I always do) and proceeded with top coat. Everything looked great till I used the top coat. It was a darker color (Tangled Mittens by Light Elegance). When I went to cap the free edge, it's as if the color wiped right off the fe. I also had a lot of colored dispersion layer on the brush itself. I'm using the latest LE duo lamp, so I know it's not my light. This second time doing her nails I used the Gelish top. I also used the Gelish Foundation before color. Could the Gelish top be pulling the color?

The first gel mani I did for her, I used the LE base and top. I think the color was maybe not warm enough and that contributed to the shrinkage. I always try to apply thin coats, really taking my time with the base coat to scrub it in.

Why am I having this issue with her free edge? Could it be if her fingers naturally curve downward?

P.S. I'm going to buy a paint shaker.

If the colour coat was coming away then it sounds like it wasn’t cured properly. If you’re sure your lamp is ok check her hand position inside the lamp, it may be that parts aren’t being cured.

I don't use LE but free edge issues usually points to incorrect positioning in the lamp. Check she's placed correctly and not pressing her fingers downwards, for some reason some of my client bend their fingers slightly (in an attempt to help I think) which puts the FE out of direct sight of a lamp. Yes the insides of the lamps tend to be mirrored to bounce the light around but direct is better.

You are mixing systems and that will cause service breakdowns because it is not tried and tested. My advice is to stick to a system.

If you use Gelish, use the gelish system; i.e. Gelish lamp (lamps cure on a certain wavelength, so not all lamps are equal), gelish ph bond, foundation, gelish gel paint and top coat.

I assume as you said bottles, that you are using the P+ from LE? I have the same light and it cures LE products just fine. I suspect like others have said it wasn't cured properly. So maybe it was her positioning since it was only the free edge. You may also want to check that the lamp is strong enough to cure Gelish products.

Hey guys,
I've started in a new location and have done the owner's nails twice now. She warned me she's hard on her hands (hair stylist).

First time, I did a gel mani with all proper prep. (Cuticle work, cleansing, etc). She messaged a few days later showing chips on her thumb corners and ring finger. . She also pointed out the shrinkage at the free edge.

Yesterday I redid them. She chose a different color. I made sure to warm the bottles in my apron pocket, applied the layers super thin, capped the fe with each layer (like I always do) and proceeded with top coat. Everything looked great till I used the top coat. It was a darker color (Tangled Mittens by Light Elegance). When I went to cap the free edge, it's as if the color wiped right off the fe. I also had a lot of colored dispersion layer on the brush itself. I'm using the latest LE duo lamp, so I know it's not my light. This second time doing her nails I used the Gelish top. I also used the Gelish Foundation before color. Could the Gelish top be pulling the color?

The first gel mani I did for her, I used the LE base and top. I think the color was maybe not warm enough and that contributed to the shrinkage. I always try to apply thin coats, really taking my time with the base coat to scrub it in.

Why am I having this issue with her free edge? Could it be if her fingers naturally curve downward?

P.S. I'm going to buy a paint shaker.

Don't buy a paint shaker lol. Cuccio and opi make stir sticks. They're only a few bucks and will mix the gel perfectly. Those shaker machines literally take 5 minutes to mix up the gel even a little

Hey guys,
I bought the paint shaker, but also ordered stainless steel beads for my bottles. Haven't got the beads in yet.

I redid her nails for Easter. This time I really made sure I had enough on my brush to properly cap the free edge with the base. I think since I use it so sparingly on the nail, I didn't have enough on my brush left to actually cap it. I'm going to be getting a table light as well.

We did three coats of color, as High Dive is a bit translucent. (I'm figuring out that most of the P+ colors seem to be. I'm assuming so light can properly cure it.)

She absolutely loved her nails this time, and the free edge was nice and covered!

Like I said, the only reason I'm not using the LE P+ base coat is because it will NOT remove for me. I have tried CND Offly Fast as well as pure acetone from the supply store.

I wouldn't mix systems. You are asking for trouble doing this x

Latest posts

Back