Gel polish, I have to make my mind up, £500

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effie

Reaction score
Budget to get set up with a gel polish system but which one?
Ive been going over and over the different brands on offer but just can't make my mind up which will be best for me.

I use CND Shellac and love it - so easy to use and clients ask for Shellac do you don't have to start explaining well its like Shellac! I've looked into Gelish and Shellac is so much simpler - no buffing of the nail.

Do a pros and cons list for every brand that you are interested in. Good luck!

I use OPI gel colour again branded name to be honest wish I had went with Shellac because of all the layering options etc however OPI is pure gel seems to last really well expensive outlay basic kit with six colours lamp etc 540 from Lena white with 3 hour training class included hope this helps :Love:

hi. i offer shellac, artistic colour gloss and gelicure, shellac is the most popular by far.

Hi Effie, its a difficult decision to make!! I personally use Shellac and OPI GelColor. BUT there are loads of other brands currently being used and viewed on SG. I would suggest a search so you can thoroughly research the brands you are short listing. You will find hundreds of threads on here giving valuable advice!
Fiona :D

Try all the options yourself. Go and have a Gelish, OPI, Shellac Manicure and others and see what you think. Then look at the costings and make your decision. Don't rush with your decision either. It's taken me about 6 months to decide....and a very bored husband!
Good luck :)

Shellac and Gelish both brilliant, you won't go wrong with either x

I use OPI gel colour again branded name to be honest wish I had went with Shellac because of all the layering options etc

Why can't you layer with OPI? You certainly can with Gelish, but with over 100 colours and more being added soon, you don't really need to.

Effie, test and try everything out for yourself before you decide.

I totally rate Gelish - haven't looked back.

I used to love shellac and would not try anything else but I knew I was being narrow minded so tried Gelish. I now find Gelish lasts longer and with the LED lamp takes less time.
They are both great products and when I open from home I don't know which to have.

I love Gelish! I went and tried Shellac, gelish & gellux before buying, and gelsih was best, havent looked back, it has doubled my earnings in the last 2 months.

If you want a natural nail product that goes on like a polish, removes as easily as polish and lasts 14 days with mirror shine, then go for Shellac.

However, if you prefer to use a gel applying straight from a bottle instead of pots, then there are lots to choose from.

Last edited:
Why can't you layer with OPI? You certainly can with Gelish, but with over 100 colours and more being added soon, you don't really need to.

Effie, test and try everything out for yourself before you decide.

You can layer with opi just like the other systems :)

I have tripled my earnings using Gelish and all my clients keep coming back for more. Never had a problem with it. It's all been smooth sailing. I would however recommend doing the course specific to the product you choose. £95 for the one day Gelish course.

And what do you think about NSI Polish Pro? x

Budget to get set up with a gel polish system but which one?
Ive been going over and over the different brands on offer but just can't make my mind up which will be best for me.

You'll get lots of raves and rants about all of the major brands here - Shellac, OPI, Gelish, Artistic Colour Gloss, Geleration, etc. And they are all good products with their own strengths and weaknesses. You could not go wrong with any of them.

Selecting the best for you is another matter. You need to analyze your market and your needs. For example, do you think you'll want a brand that has matching regular nail polish and will you want to retail those? OPI, Geleration and LeChat have that. Do you need the super market penetration and name recognition of a CND or OPI? Are you already associated with one of the major brands through their L&P or regular nail polish? Do you need LED? That leaves out most of LeChat and Shellac. Will your clientele want the funky neons and brights, magnetics and a wide range of colours of Gelish? Or maybe more fashion forward neutrals like ACG. Are your clientele already walking in asking for Shellac? Or is your clientele dedicated OPI fans? Would you consider having more than one system now or in the future?

Like I said, you'll hear a lot from the people here - really good information. But you need to take that information and analyze it in the context of your business and your clientele. There isn't just one correct answer.

Artistic colour gloss for me! I love it x

If you want a natural nail product that goes on like a polish, removes as easily as polish and lasts 14 days with mirror shine, then go for Shellac.

I think that is misleading. We all know how polish is removed and how quick it is. Shellac is not removed as easily as polish, it is removed by soaking in exactly the same way as many of the gel polish brands. Personally, I use Gelish and do not buff the natural nail or the top shine before removal with D-Solve. I can do a removal and new set in 45-50 minutes.

As others have stated the OP needs to give a few brands a try before deciding.

Thank you for all your post :0)
I already use and love opi polishes so will be looking into colourgel more closely but do like the fact I can colour match to the polishes I already have. But like the large colour range of gelish. I've not had either and plan on finding a local techs or salon to test run these two brands.

Latest posts

Back