Gel polish kits for the mass market - undermining the industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailtechJoe

IN:@thenailmaestro
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had a brief conversation with some friends today and I noticed that they had done their nails and asked them where they had it done. One of them said that she had them done by herself as she bought a gel polish home kit. I didn't ask where she got it but it does spark a question as to the safety of these products and sensitization issues that these products can cause if incorrectly applied.

I think that most people believe that gels are as safe as lacquers and they are not aware of the risks that gel products (and acrylics too) can cause sensitization. IMO, it is irresponsible from these companies to sell DIY gel kits to the public. There is also the undermining issue that some of us have spent hundreds of pounds on training to be able to safely apply and remove product and then we see these companies selling kits on the mass market with limited instructions, cheap (perhaps not rigorously tested as the professional brands) UV lamps and no training required to obtain these kits.

I understand that clients come to nail techs because of the skill, the niché and the quality of their chosen products, but if clients are squeezed out of pocket for various reasons, they will choose the DIY kits instead.

When clients become sensitized to gels, they won't be able to do have gels on and instead, look for other products like dip powders instead.

I want to write an article on my website about this growing problem so I'd to know the following based on your views.

1) Do you think this strategy from the companies selling DIY gel kits undermine trained nail technicians who offer this type of service.

2) Do you believe it will risk the professional gel polish industry?

Anything else you would like to add on this subject on personal experience.

Cheers,

Joe

This week I had a new client for CND Shellac. When doing her consultation she declared that she had her own genuine shellac and light at home!!
Then I asked her how she had got hold of this, she said she had bought it at a convention!!!
She's convinced it's all real, I don't think it is...
She was one of these people who said she "really knew her CND products "
She has never done any beauty training...
So anyway, I spent the appointment telling her all the stuff she obviously didn't know about gel polish and how there are only two genuine suppliers, others likely to be fake...sensitivities... etc
As she was so high handed in her attitude I didn't offer her another appointment!
It would be interesting to know though, how long my set of shellac last against what she's had on before.!

Tough week with annoying clients this week [emoji51]

God annoying isn't it!?..... It can be pretty dodgey ground for the client in applying their own "shellac/generic gel polish" thinking "well it's only nails how hard can it be!?" Obviously not knowing the technicalities & science behind it!
I just sit back & smugly wait for them to call me & book an appointment with reasons like:
* I can't do it like you can!
* I don't know what I'm doing wrong it's just not lasting.
* it's peeling from the ends.
* it's lifting from the cuticle.
* my nails feel sore.
* my nails are splitting.
* I can't take it off, it won't budge!!

And with this problem, let's not forget our hairdressing geeks who have been living with the age of old problem of box dye colour corrections, or a particularly bad haircut "from a friend who does hair!" [emoji23][emoji23]
It happens in all walks of life!

This week I had a new client for CND Shellac. When doing her consultation she declared that she had her own genuine shellac and light at home!!
Then I asked her how she had got hold of this, she said she had bought it at a convention!!!
So anyway, I spent the appointment telling her all the stuff she obviously didn't know about gel polish and how there are only two genuine suppliers, others likely to be fake...sensitivities... etc
As she was so high handed in her attitude I didn't offer her another appointment!
It would be interesting to know though, how long my set of shellac last against what she's had on before.!

Love the expression "high handed" gonna try & get this in my convo somewhere today![emoji6]

Love the expression "high handed" gonna try & get this in my convo somewhere today![emoji6]

My favourite moment from this obnoxious (another new word for you Fluffy) woman, was when she said "my nails have never been so bad" YES ! I rest my case...
[emoji4][emoji4]

With all the YouTube "how to do it" videos and with Amazon and Ebay sellers selling items that should only be available to qualified technicians and promising that they are 100% genuine!, it isn't surprising that people think it is perfectly fine for them to get their own products so they can D.I.Y. I have just done my Shellac training and I had watched so many "How to do it" videos and (shame on me) pretty much thought I knew it all from that. I did the training because I have a professional attitude to my work, wanted to be sure my insurance covered me, wanted to have the additional qualification and wanted to make sure I knew how to do it. Important lesson for me!- you can never have too much education! I was amazed at how much I learnt...how much extra there was to know. So glad I did it and I know without that training I would not have done a good job at all because I would only know basics. Knowing just the basics should never be 'good enough'

I know people will always look to save money, but the dangers far outweigh the benefit of savings. I had a friend who decided to do her own nails - excuse my ignorance on this subject as I have never worked with or had artificial nails - I think she was doing L&P? and even bought an electric file to "save time". Ended up losing several fingernails due to developing a severe infection.

My opinion is that selling sites like Amazon and Ebay should never sell these items because to buy them from the wholesaler you have to have a qualification to purchase them....but like so much else these things are difficult to regulate. If someone wants to find a way to buy them, they will.

Hi Joe

I agree with your points regarding safety but not having bought an over the counter gel polish have no idea what the warnings on the packets say.

We do however have to remember that those that purchase these products are adults (we hope) and may or may not heed the warnings (just look at tobacco products, many continue to smoke despite knowing the dangers).

There will always be a market for those that choose to do it themselves; there is in hair, decorating, accountancy etc. And why not? Some are successful, others efforts leave a lot to be desired! Isn't it freedom of choice for the individual? And as you pointed out, some just don't have the budget. Let's be honest, in the playground there are those that plead poverty but still have perfect hair and nails whilst their child may be going without.

I think if you work hard you should have the choice of what you spend your money on DIY or otherwise but you should be aware of the risks involved too.

Hi Joe

I agree with your points regarding safety but not having bought an over the counter gel polish have no idea what the warnings on the packets say.

We do however have to remember that those that purchase these products are adults (we hope) and may or may not heed the warnings (just look at tobacco products, many continue to smoke despite knowing the dangers).

There will always be a market for those that choose to do it themselves; there is in hair, decorating, accountancy etc. And why not? Some are successful, others efforts leave a lot to be desired! Isn't it freedom of choice for the individual? And as you pointed out, some just don't have the budget. Let's be honest, in the playground there are those that plead poverty but still have perfect hair and nails whilst their child may be going without.

I think if you work hard you should have the choice of what you spend your money on DIY or otherwise but you should be aware of the risks involved too.

Often they are unaware of the dangers unfortunately.

If her own shellac application is going so well I'm surprised she's booking in with you to be honest! Maybe it hasn't been working so well for her

I think it may undermine to an extent.. However I think that there are always going to be people who don't value our skill and knowledge and try and save as much money as possible whether that's buying DIY kits, not getting regular maintenance to save money or picking polish off to try and get a freebie! I think it's the same as hairdressing, some people will try and go 5 shades lighter using box bleach and some know it's a really bad idea and stay loyal to their hair stylist. I think it's important to reward loyal clients by staying up to date with training and current trends so you can offer them the best. Some understand it and some don't :)

If her own shellac application is going so well I'm surprised she's booking in with you to be honest! Maybe it hasn't been working so well for her

Could be a case of monkey see, monkey do?

The sad reality is, these folk don't care!

My main service is hair, and sooo many are colouring and even cutting their own now - thanks to 'youtube'!

From where I'm standing, their results at best, are poor, but they haven't had to pay someone like me, so they feel they have a successful outcome.o_O

'Bargain hunting' has become a national sport!:eek:...... and we're all doomed.:p

Everyone I know who have gone down the route of DIY have very quickly stopped doing it for many reasons, if anything these home kits just make us professional techs look even better [emoji41]

Love the topic. To be honest I like the whole hair colour box argument. It hasn't brought down the hair industry and I truly believe the home kits won't do that for ours either.
Now public safety is a whole new topic. There is a reason why we get training (though dodgy it seems as times move forward) and learn product chemistry. I could swear though I've seen another thread here about some chains are pulling those products off the shelves for these concerns exactly.

Love the topic. To be honest I like the whole hair colour box argument. It hasn't brought down the hair industry and I truly believe the home kits won't do that for ours either.
Now public safety is a whole new topic. There is a reason why we get training (though dodgy it seems as times move forward) and learn product chemistry. I could swear though I've seen another thread here about some chains are pulling those products off the shelves for these concerns exactly.

Someone already mentioned a BBC radio 4 program and Boots pulled out their line but I still see them up on their website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08j99fm

I do not think that the at home kits really damage the industry very much - there will always be a small segment of the market that chooses DIY for many reasons. Most will quit after a few tries, some will go on to become professionals (didn't we all start this way?). As someone who has been on many sides of this argument (a nail tech, a DIYer, an industry analyst), I think it comes down to a few simple points. The first is - if you can't provide a better experience and end result than a DIYer, you need to hang up your brushes and close shop! I love doing my own nails, but even I splash out and go to a pro a few times a year, because she does it better and I like the pampering. I also worry that many choose DIY because of negative experiences at the hands of professionals. But I am very concerned about the safety issue, especially the sensitization and sanitary issues. am less concerned about those who do their own nails and more concerned about those who do their nails and their sister/friend/mum. There's a lot of potential for infection there.

Latest posts

Back