Gel polish lifting help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachalester

Reaction score
Hi everyone ive been doing nails now for 8 years, i have trained as a nail tech and done my courses. But i have been having huge trouble the past few months as my gel polish is lifting and im having more and more clients with problems. I use different types of types of gel polish, gelish the most also ibd and gelaze. Im having the most problems with gelish but still the others are lifting, even when i apply gelish on top of acrylics which normally is bomb proof... ive had the same lamp for a year and its been fab a few months ago a thought it ould of been that so i got a new lamp and it seemd to be ok but only for a few weeks and im back to square one. I have never ever had problems before qith lifting and i dont know what to do i have even tried different primers/ bonders and on workmates tested one hand with one lamp and again another day with different bonders. I really have no idea what is going on. I have been using the same products for years... also while im at it has anyone had problems with the gelish colour warriors dont whine as in it doesnt set at all with uv or led not at all? Thanks in advance!! :)

What lamp are you using?

When using Gelish Over acrylics Try using foundation underneath the colour like you would on a natural nail that should stop the lifting over acrylics.

Are you mixing systems?

I was using a peggy sage uv/ led lamp and it was amazing untill recently been using one another nail tech has been using in the salon and she uses jessica polish amd doesnt seem to have a problem. With the acrylic i did use a ibd base amd a ibd colour and that lifted off the acrylic yesterday. Sometimes i do mix systems i must admit but have never had a problem untill now. I have been using the gelish bonder with the ibd polishes aswell not sure if this would be a problem...

I have also had this problem on one particular client and I think she has more oily nails. I am giving her nails a other shot and planning to prep her nail with a 100/180 grit buffer instead of the gelish 200/240 as I am wondering if the base isn' bonding enough to her nails. I have also read that you need to make sure the coats are so thin and even and that the base coat is extremely sparing. If its a thicker colour you could also cure for longer in the lamp if its just the odd client that is having the issue...

Not sure how the duo lamps work, but have you changed your uv bulbs recently?
Is it happening with all sets, all colours?
Make sure bulbs are changed regularly, that you are using the correct base and top coat for the brand of gel, and that you sure for recommended time as different gels vary. Hope this helps!

I have also had this problem on one particular client and I think she has more oily nails. I am giving her nails a other shot and planning to prep her nail with a 100/180 grit buffer instead of the gelish 200/240 as I am wondering if the base isn' bonding enough to her nails. I have also read that you need to make sure the coats are so thin and even and that the base coat is extremely sparing. If its a thicker colour you could also cure for longer in the lamp if its just the odd client that is having the issue...
Thanks for the reply i will defo keep this in mind at the minute im going to start writing down the clients that have had problems and what colours they have had and see if i can work it out :)

Not sure how the duo lamps work, but have you changed your uv bulbs recently?
Is it happening with all sets, all colours?
Make sure bulbs are changed regularly, that you are using the correct base and top coat for the brand of gel, and that you sure for recommended time as different gels vary. Hope this helps!
Ive had the lamp about a year i havent changes the bulbs but they are not like the regular lamp that i can take the bulbs out and change its a strange one im going to take it back to the shop and see what they can do there maybe. Its not happening with all colours but i used one day ibd smokey plum and it set fine and lasted for 4 weeks with no lifting at all then i used it on another clients two days ago and it lifted one day after with the same base and everything thats why i cant get my head around it its different days different people sometimes its fine other days its not :/

Ive had the lamp about a year i havent changes the bulbs but they are not like the regular lamp that i can take the bulbs out and change its a strange one im going to take it back to the shop and see what they can do there maybe. Its not happening with all colours but i used one day ibd smokey plum and it set fine and lasted for 4 weeks with no lifting at all then i used it on another clients two days ago and it lifted one day after with the same base and everything thats why i cant get my head around it its different days different people sometimes its fine other days its not :/
Are you sure they are lifting? And not just being mistreated by your client?
Ask for pics, you will see the difference with lifting /chipping.
Worth mentioning also some fingers don't get cured properly in the lamp if they arnt in the correct place. Most often thumb or middle finger (due to length).
Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Are you sure they are lifting? And not just being mistreated by your client?
Ask for pics, you will see the difference with lifting /chipping.
Worth mentioning also some fingers don't get cured properly in the lamp if they arnt in the correct place. Most often thumb or middle finger (due to length).
Hope you get to the bottom of it!

I know some of them like to have a pick and a nibble sometimes, but alot of them that its happening to are the "good clients" lol and it seems to lift and come completly off sometimes as if i had just stuck a nail on and it comes off nothing left on the nail. Then other times with other people is as if the felish hasnt set properly and has bubbles in it but you can only notice it when i buff to soak it off. Ill let you all know what happends :) meen time thanks so much for all your advice really appreciate it xxx

I've had the same problem and discovered my client was on new medication and it was that that caused it to lift. Could just be very oily nails or she could be using a very oil based hand or cuticle cream.

Latest posts

Back